When did we get so damn BORING?

6 hours ago, betoney said:

I love the X-Arc signals, I have them installed front and rear.  I used the X-Arc on the front for more direct front angle visibility.

They are nice signals, I probably should have put X-arcs on the front. I do like the look of the flush mounts. I might add leds onto my bark busters, 

4B03F44B-238D-4918-B6EC-C33855F0E89C.jpeg

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Willie17FJ-09 said:

They are nice signals, I probably should have put X-arcs on the front. I do like the look of the flush mounts. I might add leds onto my bark busters, 

4B03F44B-238D-4918-B6EC-C33855F0E89C.jpeg

ANY additional visibility is a good thing.  I also added Denali DRL's, mounted exactly as pictured.  VERY bright.

Enhance visibility & safety with a clean, factory-looking appearance using...

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

27 minutes ago, betoney said:

ANY additional visibility is a good thing.  I also added Denali DRL's, mounted exactly as pictured.  VERY bright.

Enhance visibility & safety with a clean, factory-looking appearance using...

I agree, so many distracted drivers out there. I like the looks of those denalis I mounted a west marine red led strip light below my license plate. It comes on with the brake light

• Thumbsup 2

21 hours ago, Willie17FJ-09 said:

What did you guys get your bike for Valentines day? I got her high-tech speed proton 500 flush front and X-Arc rear signals, Pumpkins wouldn't clear the hard saddle bags with the yoshimura fender eliminator so I had to go smaller

motorcyclebed.jpg

• Haha 2

On 2/13/2020 at 3:14 PM, Cruizin said:

But, what can we do to liven things up again around here? 

Ideas?   Anyone?  

This thread just popped up in my mind as I was looking at a bunch of posts on another forum.  I belong to two riding "groups".  One is a forum only, ST-Owners.org.  The other is for the Kawasaki Concours Owners Group (COG).  I think the "secret" they have is they get together and organize regional rides.

One of my favorite rides is "NEWSTOC".  It's held in Seven Bays, WA at the private residence of one of the forum members.  He makes his yard open to camping and there's motels close by.  It's just a wonderful time for some riders to get together, have fun riding during the day, and have fun sitting around telling tall tales around a campfire at night.

The COG is an actual group.  You can join just the forum, or you can help support the organization with some low-cost yearly dues.  Like the ST owners, they organize rides.  We must've had 20 posts tonight alone on the ride in Death Valley this April.  There's a bunch of posts on the Bun Cooler in Kamiah Idaho coming up.  I watched a member change his rear tire in the parking lot of the KOA motel with another member guiding him...and about 35 of us giving advice from our lawn chairs and drinking our favorite refreshments.

The rides give the people an excuse to meet and see each other in person.  The deep long lasting relationships develop from that.

But it takes people to decide to make an effort initially to get it started.

Chris

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, daboo said:

This thread just popped up in my mind as I was looking at a bunch of posts on another forum.  I belong to two riding "groups".  One is a forum only, ST-Owners.org.  The other is for the Kawasaki Concours Owners Group (COG).  I think the "secret" they have is they get together and organize regional rides.

One of my favorite rides is "NEWSTOC".  It's held in Seven Bays, WA at the private residence of one of the forum members.  He makes his yard open to camping and there's motels close by.  It's just a wonderful time for some riders to get together, have fun riding during the day, and have fun sitting around telling tall tales around a campfire at night.

The COG is an actual group.  You can join just the forum, or you can help support the organization with some low-cost yearly dues.  Like the ST owners, they organize rides.  We must've had 20 posts tonight alone on the ride in Death Valley this April.  There's a bunch of posts on the Bun Cooler in Kamiah Idaho coming up.  I watched a member change his rear tire in the parking lot of the KOA motel with another member guiding him...and about 35 of us giving advice from our lawn chairs and drinking our favorite refreshments.

The rides give the people an excuse to meet and see each other in person.  The deep long lasting relationships develop from that.

But it takes people to decide to make an effort initially to get it started.

Chris

I know the mayor of Kamiah. She can drink us both under the table.

I'm up for group rides, gotta see the members go in it.  

Sometimes, silly things become a "tradition".  At NEWSTOC, Todd gathers up all sorts of things to give away at an "auction".  Some of them are really worthwhile.  One of them was a really tacky bumblebee wind chime.  Well, I was the first recipient of this treasured item.  

There was no way I was carrying that thing back home across the Cascades.  None.  But when I was getting ready to leave, Todd was busy talking with some others around the corner of his home.  I snuck back to the porch and hung the bumblebee wind chime on a hook...and left promptly.  He didn't see it till I mentioned it on the forum a couple days later.  By then, he was stuck with it till the next get together.  It has since become a subject of lots of fun comments about how everyone hopes not to receive this coveted wind chime.  We get a lot of good laughs about it.

For NEWSTOC, we'll have riders coming from as far away as Alberta and Arizona.  For the Bun Cooler, there'll be riders coming from California and some of the northern central states, probably Canada too.  For the Death Valley get together, I might be coming the farthest, but there'll be riders coming probably from some of the south eastern states.

It isn't that hard to turn a weekend event into something that's an adventure.  Combine some nice roads on the way to and from and you've got a great ride. While the "reason" is the weekend event, the entire time is wonderful.

Chris

On 2/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, betoney said:

Its been on my mind for awhile now but much more expensive to fit on the '15-'16 models.😢

US$250 for a plug'n'play shifter kit and controller. Not hugely expensive, but I understand that priorities are priorities!

• Thumbsup 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

On 2/13/2020 at 4:08 PM, Cruizin said:

Maybe we are just an "older" crowd than some of the other forums? Im 54 yrs old, and I'm pretty damn boring. 

63 going on 21. Well I think that way.... The body doesn't function as well, but the alternative is far worse. I wouldn't worry about the forum being boring.  Oh shit its almost time for my early bird senior dinner!  Got to run! 

• Haha 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

What app is this?  

EatSleepRIDE.  It’s a free app for Apple or Android, and I’m pretty impressed with how well it works.   Very accurate GPS route tracing, along with speed, elevation, lean angle, etc.   

I typically let it record in the background, and keep Waze running as the active app (primarily for traffic and police alerts).  No problems with the two conflicting.   

1746C513-2353-4F3A-8505-3BD5BBC7181D.thumb.jpeg.f320eb90044ccfb724256fd85ce6cc40.jpeg

I like the idea of rides to Gathers.  While on the FJR Forum, I met a lot of folks all over the US going to events.  One such fellow in Auburn WA holds a tech session  in his 4 car garage once a year, use to be twice a year.  20-35 people would show up.  All these events make for much discussion on the forum prior to the event.  Most of those have dropped off in the last few 3-6 years.  I used to go to the gather in SW US, like CO, UT, AZ, NM but it pretty much stopped after they did a National Event.  Took the wind out of them.

Any event that takes too much time and work is a killer unless you love to do that.  

I have an event that anyone in the West can come to and enjoy the ride.  We call it the Bundok 1000 and it is going to be in John Day, Oregon.  The idea is simple:  Ride 500 or so miles to John Day and then ride 500 or so miles home.  It is held the first week end in June (6-7).  It is open to anyone and if 20-30 FJ/Tracer riders show up they won't be alone.  If interested you need to get a room asap.  We are going to be centered at the Dreamers Inn.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/bundok1000/?ref=bookmarks, or can be found on Google Sites:

Access Google Drive with a free Google account (for personal...

• Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, redfjniner said:

I have an event that anyone in the West can come to and enjoy the ride.  We call it the Bundok 1000 and it is going to be in John Day, Oregon.  The idea is simple:  Ride 500 or so miles to John Day and then ride 500 or so miles home.

Any riding near the John Day area is fantastic.  Great riding in every direction. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'm new so I can't say much, but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of activity here as opposed to some of the other forums I've been on, or if there is it's a lot of new members (like myself) not using the search function.  I'd like to have more meet-ups set up, especially for those of us that are new to the ADV/Touring scene and would like to ride with a group and do some weekend trips. Heck, an FJ/Tracer rally would be pretty cool, too. I'm usually more interested in coming to forums if it translates into actual real world stuff, but that's just me. 

Well, I guess I'm guilty to some extent.  I'm damn near 70, I don't do trips any more and even my day rides are 2-3 hours max.  Not much worth posting about or taking pictures.

My '16 FJ is as farkled as it's going to get and most of that is your standard, boring stuff.  Corbin seat, ECU Flash, suspension upgrade, bar risers, crash bars (LOVE those blurple Higgies!) tail tidy and a radiator screen.  Whee...

Plus, I'm a fair weather rider and we haven't had any of that since last September (October, which is usually my favorite month, was a HUGE disappointment) and won't again until probably the end of April, so there's that.

I'm a world-class picture whore, but with my boring rides they're mostly about my hobbies, dogs and my great-granddaughter.

I guess I could post up some in Fireside Chat just to see if it generates any traffic.

• Thanks 1