Oil Filter

edgarjessop12

• Premium Member

I use K&N Oil Filters with Shell Rotella T6 5W40 motor oil. Have used the same since I got my initial FJ09 in 2015 and have only positive experiences with both.

That being said, this is a highly charged topic, and you will be lucky to find 2 people who agree to anything related to Oil Filters and Motor Oil.........

Let the fun begin!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kilo3 said:

In all seriousness, has anyone had a bad filter experience and what that entails?
I assume based upon oil analysis?

The only bad experience I've had with a motorcycle oil filter was one time I didn't get the o-ring installed correctly on the cover for the cartridge-style filter on my BMW R65. It lasted for about 20 miles and then started dumping oil all over my right boot and the rear tire. We'll call this one "Operator error" and not a filter problem, per se.  

I have had issues with the seal on cheap oil filters in the past.  Though this could have been user error; over tighten and/or possibly lack of pre lube.  I’ve gone with the Purolator 14610 on every street bike I’ve owned since that failure in 2003 and never had an issue since.  I’ve never considered the vanity of different color oil filters; extra blue on a Yamaha just seems the appropriate level of extra bling...

F18C3973-8901-416F-853C-19595D25C688.jpeg

D6079E1D-8B98-4CA3-932A-1BBFE0D490BA.jpeg

3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

In all seriousness, has anyone had a bad filter experience and what that entails?

There is another thread on this site that discusses how some filters do not correctly fit the mounting skirt on the CP3 engine.  Apparently these filters have a slightly higher edge that contacts the skirt interfering with the O ring's seal.  The result is leaks under pressure.

Anybody recall this thread and the filters involved?

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Not me personally but some K&Ns failed at tracks and this lead to banning of all non-oem filters by some tracks, racing bodies etc. That's one of the few I can recall that was actually a filter manufacturing flaw.

Factory direct K&N replacement air filters, air intakes, oil filters & cabin...

The issue more street riders are aware of is that a few years ago many of the inexpensive automotive filters had a design change such that the threads would bottom with only a bit of seal contact when used on a motorcycle. That is not a filter failure but did catch some owners out that bought the same Wally StarTech or whatever for years and all of a sudden it ceased to work without leaking. Somebody on the FJR board went so far as to design and manufacture an adapter because the filters are otherwise as good as they ever were. 

1 hour ago, DaStray said:

peteinpa and chitown,

Would you be so kind as to telling me/us what Bosch filter you`re using?

I could "suss it out" after a while but I`d appreciate your greater experience and advice.

Cross reference chart......I've used the Bosch 3300 filter in the past.

Late to this. It is the Bosch 3300. I've got a few left, I was using them on my ST1300 and FZ-07. Fit the FJ-09 now too!👍

I will say that chart is really old, and even though the fitment is correct, the quality of some filters isn't what it used to be. Walmarts Super Tech has changed and is no longer good.

Purolator had also changed, they are one that also threads on, then bottoms and leaks. Unless they changed them again.

Oil filters are ever evolving, usually going downhill in quality, to save a buck.😠

Edited by peteinpa
  • Thumbsup 1

There can be a big difference on how filters seal and how much to tighten them. Typically hand tight but not always the case. For example a lot of Suzuki OEM filters use a round o-ring type gasket where a replacement Wix uses a flat gasket. Follow the filters manufacturers specs on tightening them. The Suzuki filter gets tightened much more because of the round o-ring vs the flat gasket on the Wix. And no, I have never had a filter failure. OEM filters are not made by Yamaha, typically low bidder gets the gig.

• Thumbsup 1

For Bosch, Purolator, and some others see this thread.  My cut down union bolt is being delivered. My bosch 3300 filters currently work and seal but barely. They bottom out on that bolt.

Can't beat RockAuto for price on oil filters.

• 5 months later...