New BMWs, OMG!

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I HATE the look of the flat BMW engines. It’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. 

Do you prefer the perkier, non-saggy jugs of a Moto Guzzi?

Guzzi.jpg.b8d5558cb76d84f5445621810ebf6df2.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I HATE the look of the flat BMW engines. It’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. 

What I find interesting is that I absolutely hate the look of the BMW engines, but I love motoguzzi's.  Where the BMW engines have this "You know you're gonna destroy this engine one day in a stupid crash" thing going on, and often just look like a refrigerator with weird nodules poking out the sides, the Motoguzzies have this Old School Engine look to them (and the transmission/drivetrain as well).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithu said:

That must be why I have always liked the look of the opposed V twin. I had lined up a Honda CX500 a good few years ago to replace my third bike I liked the look of the engine and the shaft drive. Unfortunately or fortunately if my wife is looking over my shoulder marriage got in the way and the lack of disposable  income took me off bikes for a few years. Don't think I would swap my Tracer for one now that I love the triple.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, keithu said:

Guzzi.jpg.b8d5558cb76d84f5445621810ebf6df2.jpg

Haha. Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I’ll admit that MG’s intrigue me. I like their looks. I just can’t bring myself to pay good money for anything Italian with an engine. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

Let’s go Brandon

6 hours ago, micah2074 said:

Haha. Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I’ll admit that MG’s intrigue me. I like their looks. I just can’t bring myself to pay good money for anything Italian with an engine. 

Hummm, are you saying you want a Fiat 500e?  It has an electric MOTOR.  :-)  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Hummm, are you saying you want a Fiat 500e?  It has an electric MOTOR. 🙂  

Nope, I’m not into the coal powered stuff. I’ll hold out and cook with gas as long as I can. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Suddenly, the ridiculously large scale of the R18 makes sense…  As a full dresser, it looks perfect. 

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2022-bmw-r-18-b-and-r-18-transcontinental-first-look/

That’s going to be a tough sell to the Harley touring faithful, but I respect the effort and like the look.  

1BFC6A93-3FB5-4110-B2BA-1B7CD67B9B65.thumb.jpeg.3def6463278805c185b71d0cf01038d9.jpeg

3846D705-BBBE-4CF1-BDF7-C8BFB518E988.thumb.jpeg.cf4d0109a3c038003e8f92203c40d917.jpeg

6F446D42-358A-4683-915E-764FA8A8FE95.thumb.jpeg.0146306203ef48ae26e823762f4efa19.jpeg

C6ED6359-2800-4709-8433-528755B7F270.thumb.jpeg.e24248293c01f8f13783e17aa647a8f0.jpeg

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Suddenly, the ridiculously large scale of the R18 makes sense…  As a full dresser, it looks perfect. 

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2022-bmw-r-18-b-and-r-18-transcontinental-first-look/

Agree, it finally looks proportionate... but those proportions - 940lbs.  YIKES!! 😲

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 8/5/2021 at 9:26 PM, betoney said:

Agree, it finally looks proportionate... but those proportions - 940lbs.  YIKES!! 😲

Yeah, after my recent adventure... I honestly do not understand the appeal of bikes of that sort of mass.  Sure, you CAN make them turn quick, but damn if it's not a workout to do it.  Very comfortable if you're just riding in a straight line for a really long time I guess, but... Gross.  

A 940lb monstrousity?  No thank you.  I question just how effective those brakes can possibly be stopping that much mass.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 8/7/2021 at 12:02 AM, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, after my recent adventure... I honestly do not understand the appeal of bikes of that sort of mass.  Sure, you CAN make them turn quick, but damn if it's not a workout to do it.  Very comfortable if you're just riding in a straight line for a really long time I guess, but... Gross.  

A 940lb monstrousity?  No thank you.  I question just how effective those brakes can possibly be stopping that much mass.

Rode my 900 pound Goldwings down in the NC mountains and  passed sport bikes, more than  once.  On a runflat car tire on the  rear.  Then rode it home.  It can be done.

• Premium Member

To me a 900+ pound motorcycle is insane. But when I'm out touring on my FJ-09 the Road Glide and Wingabago crowd look at me as if I'm the one who's crazy. Two weeks ago I actually had a couple of pirates tell me my FJ is "no good for the highway." This was after I'd already ridden 800 miles that day. 🙄

Everyone likes different things though. More power to 'em.

• Thumbsup 5

it is proportioned but the mass!!!!  If you live somewhere flat where all the roads are straight do most of your touring on the interstate then yea they would be ok and comfy.  Some folks like big and comfy.  At least they didn't let the designers responsible for the latest 3 and 4 series cars help out.

As for mountain roads no thanks.  I'm not the fastest rider out there but there is a very real point where the mass is just a lot harder to turn.  I'm looking for lighter and more nimble not something that takes a lot of effort to get to turn or make a fast transition.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Here’s an honest comparison review of the R18 and HD Softtail Slim.  Spoiler alert:  It doesn’t end well for BMW…

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2021-bmw-r-18-vs-2021-harley-davidson-softail-slim-battle-of-the-big-twins

“Doing less with more seems to be a theme here.”   😳

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Here’s an honest comparison review of the R18 and HD Softtail Slim.  Spoiler alert:  It doesn’t end well for BMW…

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2021-bmw-r-18-vs-2021-harley-davidson-softail-slim-battle-of-the-big-twins

“Doing less with more seems to be a theme here.”   😳

Ouch, that's a pretty harsh review.  It does everything worse than the Harley, yet costs much more, it sounds like a miserable failure.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 8/14/2021 at 8:40 PM, betoney said:

Ouch, that's a pretty harsh review.  It does everything worse than the Harley, yet costs much more, it sounds like a miserable failure.

Ooof.  When the Harley is better in every metric, and is cheaper, you know you've screwed the pooch.  That's harsh.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1