What chain lube?

DaStray

New Tracer GT with 200 miles on it. Lubed the chain with a chain lube from the local Yamaha shop (Maxima Synthetic Chain Lube).

Upon my first ride since the lube job, I noticed that it seems to have a lot more thrown off than what the chain originally came with. I followed the directions on the can, sprayed it, let it sit then wiped off the excess. It sat all night until today when I went for the ride. Once parked, it literally dripped on the floor from the front sprocket. I really did wipe off the excess too.

Question is, what have the local experts here found? What do you use and why?

I`m not really wanting to go into the discussion whether it`s fine to use "regular" gear lube or a commercially available lube in a can. No need to have the discussion devolve into which is better, if it`s OK by you guys and girls.

So, what`s the consensus here? Thanks in advance. 

It’s pretty odd it does that if you’ve wiped off the excess ? You sure it’s chain lube on the floor ? I tend to use a dry lube, it doesn’t attract the crap that waxes or oil tend to, but this is my choice and not to everyone’s else’s taste. Here’s an interesting unsientific take from fortnine...

https://youtu.be/VnPYdcbcAe0

Edited by Tripletrouble

• Premium Member

80w gear oil. It's cheap, grime doesn't stick to it, and it's basically what the chain manufacturers recommend. I never clean my chain because with the gear oil it doesn't get dirty. 

• Thumbsup 1

NEVER scrub or clean the chain, just give it a wipe down on the centerstand with an oily rag. IMHO "and I've tried most all", there is nothing better overall than Dupont chain saver, all we need is some roller and side plate rust/corrosion protection along with some temporary friction protection. WORST thing you can do is scrub or clean an O ring or X ring chain with a brush or any kind of cleaner or even diesel fuel, that lube needs to stay between the plates and the rollers. To be honest there is nothing that works better overall than gear oil, but that is messy and smells like ass. Keep it simple stupid, don't overthink it and don't succumb to so much bad information out on the web........ ;)  

• Premium Member

I've been using PJ1. I picked up some Lucas chain lube while on my Murphy road trip. Because I misplaced my little can of PJ1. Worked pretty good and didn't fling... Much.... YMMV

2110650.jpg

Shop Lucas Oil 10393 11 oz. Chain Lube Aerosol. In stock at a low price...

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I use endangered sperm whale oil when available.......otherwise and most of the time I use generic HondaPro chain lube.  I wipe the chain down every 1000 miles or so with a kerosene rag, dry, and carefully apply chain lube to all 118 chain links.........I don't try to overthink this basic maintenance procedure.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Haha 1

I use Dupont Chain-Saver, wax based chain lube, with Teflon.  After only getting 14-17K out of a chain, I started using this stuff and got 24K.  Now the question is, did I change the way I took care of my chain, or did this new stuff work better than the other stuff I was using?

I think both.  After all, it doesn't matter what you put on your chain if you don't also take care of the chain.  I thought I was doing both, but I changed anyway and started to make it simple.  First I will always wipe down and lube the chain after any ride that is 250m or more.  Keep it clean.  After wiping it down with a white terry cloth towel (I will take a wash rag size cloth and fold it into quarters, as that will give me 8 wipe downs, which is good for a week only ride.  Extra rags can be carried in my top box flat and don't take up any room.  I then put the bike on the center stand and start the engine, put in gear and squirt the inside "O" rings for the count of "onethousand one-onethousand two", I repeat on the outside "O" rings and on the chain rollers. I then would wipe the chain with a clean corner of the wipe down rage to get any excess off the chain.   Oh yah,  the chain I got the 24K out of was a OEM DID chain with a Yamaha parts number noted for the FJ09.

I went through two highly rated and expensive chains and only got 17K, went to the cheap DID with Yamaha parts NO. and got 24K, so my conclusion was that it is more important to keep the chain clean and use very little lube often. 

• Thumbsup 2

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, redfjniner said:

I then put the bike on the center stand and start the engine, put in gear and squirt the inside "O" rings for the count of "onethousand one-onethousand two", I repeat on the outside "O" rings and on the chain rollers. I then would wipe the chain with a clean corner of the wipe down rage to get any excess off the chain.

I do the same thing on the center stand, spray the inside and wipe excess, spray the outside and wipe the excess.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I apply lube with a surgical sponge "yeah I have access to such a thing due to my job", I liberally spray down the sponge with lube and apply to the chain with saturated sponge on all sides while spinning the wheel......you cannot lubricate a chain any better by spraying directly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

I use endangered sperm whale oil when available.......otherwise and most of the time I use generic HondaPro chain lube.  I wipe the chain down every 1000 miles or so with a kerosene rag, dry, and carefully apply chain lube to all 118 chain links.........I don't try to overthink this basic maintenance procedure.

I use unicorn tears, but otherwise the same as you

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

I've been using PJ1. I picked up some Lucas chain lube while on my Murphy road trip. Because I misplaced my little can of PJ1. Worked pretty good and didn't fling... Much.... YMMV

2110650.jpg

Shop Lucas Oil 10393 11 oz. Chain Lube Aerosol. In stock at a low price...

I like PJ1 Blue Label and have used it for years with good results.  Usually get a little over 20,000 miles from a chain.........except for the crappy OEM chain that this bike came with.

I have heard good things about DuPont Chain Saver but have yet to try it.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Been using Pro Honda Chain Lube with Moly and it certainly clings well and you don't wipe off any excess. I haven't owned my chain driven bikes long enough to know how well it ensures longevity, but it sticks well, is good lubrication, and is readily available. I'd be happy to try other things though. 

Edited by Salish900
More accurate description