What chain lube?

DaStray

Kerosene (paraffin) for cleaning, gear oil for lubing. I use a soft, narrow paint brush to “paint” the gear oil onto the plate/roller joints and  that way it only goes where needed and I don’t get any fling onto the rim. This is a very cheap, quick approach.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I used to use Castrol chain wax when I first got my Fazer, then I changed to Bel-Ray, right now I have a can of Superclean chain lubricant. It sticks like crazy and doesn't fling at all.

I have a large piece of cardboard that goes between the chain and sprocket and the back wheel that I slide in when I spray the lube because it is a bitch to get the lube off the wheel.

I'm a bit slack on chain maintenance, luckily I don't have to deal with a lot of the road crap that I read some of you others do. I got over 40,000km on the stock chain on my Fazer which I think is pretty good.

• Thumbsup 1

Another vote for Dupont Chain Saver. Can buy it a Walmart. I spray it on heavy right after a ride, before it's parked for the night. At least every tank of gas. I don't even wipe it off. I don't clean at all, the lube does it.

We'll see if I get 20K miles for the OEM chain instead of the 10 most have got here. 

8 hours ago, Salish900 said:

Been using Pro Honda Chain Lube with Moly and it certainly clings well and you don't wipe off any excess. I haven't owned my chain driven bikes long enough to know how well it ensures longevity, but it sticks well, is good lubrication, and is readily available. I'd be happy to try other things though. 

Yeah that's excellent lube as well, right up there with Dupont chain saver IMHO.

I always ran a Tuturo chain oiler on my V-Strom, works amazing but is for sure more messy than "most" spray on lubes, ran 75W90 synthetic gear oil and it did fabulous. Kept it from the Strom, but not sure I want to install on the Tracer.

Edited by Ride365

Thanks for all the replies and it has given me some good pointers about what`s best. It appears that the DuPont and Pro Honda have a lot of fans as do various gear oils. Hmmmm.....

On the other hand, sperm whale oil, unicorn tears and bobcat sperm may also work well but the only thing around these parts would be bobcats, and, well, I`ll leave the milking of the bobcats to Coop 😁

By the way, Coop, I laughed out loud...thanks for that.

5 hours ago, DaStray said:

Thanks for all the replies and it has given me some good pointers about what`s best. It appears that the DuPont and Pro Honda have a lot of fans as do various gear oils. Hmmmm.....

On the other hand, sperm whale oil, unicorn tears and bobcat sperm may also work well but the only thing around these parts would be bobcats, and, well, I`ll leave the milking of the bobcats to Coop 😁

By the way, Coop, I laughed out loud...thanks for that.

Don't worry about Bobcats, i have a friend in Swansea who can you appear almost lifelike if the Bobcat is too mean.