Turn Signal Options

Shizzle

Anyone actually installed the 2021 MT-07 LED signals? Does it require any adapter or modification?

Was thinking those LED turn signals on 2021 Tracer 900 might be closer to a “direct swap” for our bike. Looked at the parts diagram for both MT-07 and Tracer 900 and noticed that although Tracer 900 seems to has LED turn signal but it requires additional flasher stay and damper. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 1:52 AM, OCT900 said:

Anyone actually installed the 2021 MT-07 LED signals? Does it require any adapter or modification?

Was thinking those LED turn signals on 2021 Tracer 900 might be closer to a “direct swap” for our bike. Looked at the parts diagram for both MT-07 and Tracer 900 and noticed that although Tracer 900 seems to has LED turn signal but it requires additional flasher stay and damper. 

They were on back order and I didn't receive them until October.  I opened up the box just a few days ago and the connectors are different.  Not a plug and play. I see solder and heat shrink in my future.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, CJ3cyl said:

They were on back order and I didn't receive them until October.  I opened up the box just a few days ago and the connectors are different.  Not a plug and play. I see solder and heat shrink in my future.

You can get a set of signal plug converters to use from TST Industries or cut up the leads of your old signals. You don't want to cut  into the bikes wiring harness.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 3 months later...

On April 22nd of 2021 I promised I'd keep you all posted on my progress. Well, I finally got around to it. Installed LED turn signals from a 2021 MT07.  They are not plug and play, as the connectors are not compatible. You have to cut the connectors off and twist/solder your pumpkin connectors to the MT07 signals. Not a big deal, though. They are, however, an exact fit into the egg/oval holes on the bike for the turn signals.  Here's pics...

ts2.jpg

ts1.jpg

ts5.png

ts4.jpg

• Thumbsup 8

On 5/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, CJ3cyl said:

On April 22nd of 2021 I promised I'd keep you all posted on my progress. Well, I finally got around to it. Installed LED turn signals from a 2021 MT07.  They are not plug and play, as the connectors are not compatible. You have to cut the connectors off and twist/solder your pumpkin connectors to the MT07 signals. Not a big deal, though. They are, however, an exact fit into the egg/oval holes on the bike for the turn signals. 

Love the license plate number. :D

With this mod, do you lose the running light function on the front indicators? Any pictures of the soldered-on pumpkin connector?

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

You need to order the MT07 front turn signals to have the running lights without more electrical mods. Sorry, no pics of the connectors. They're just soldered with heat shrink for insulation.

• Thumbsup 1

39 minutes ago, CJ3cyl said:

You need to order the MT07 front turn signals to have the running lights without more electrical mods. Sorry, no pics of the connectors. They're just soldered with heat shrink for insulation.

So just to confirm, if I get the OEM 2021 MT07 turn signals and do the pumpkin connector swap I will have running lights?

Also, what about the flashing rate? This is changing incandescent bulbs to LEDs so there would likely be a speed-up in the rate of flashing without a resistor.

Any chance of getting a small video of how yours operate - as running lights and also while flashing?

I ask this because I am not familiar with the MT07 front indicator operation (and whether they have 3 wires) and do not want to spend $155 for a set, start to do the mods and find out that it does not work as desired.

MT07 Flasher Set.jpg

Edited by Grumpy Goat
Added parts list

So just to confirm, if I get the OEM 2021 MT07 turn signals and do the pumpkin connector swap I will have running lights?

For the front, if you get the front turn signals, yes.

Also, what about the flashing rate? This is changing incandescent bulbs to LEDs so there would likely be a speed-up in the rate of flashing without a resistor.

That is true, mine flash very fast. My LED turn signal relay has been shipped. I wasn't sure, so I didn't order one at first.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speedmetal-led-signal-relay-yamaha?sku_id=1127950

I'll be happy to show a video once I get the proper relay installed.  Anyway, the front turn signals have 3 wires for the running lights.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

For the front, if you get the front turn signals, yes.

That is true, mine flash very fast. My LED turn signal relay has been shipped. I wasn't sure, so I didn't order one at first.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speedmetal-led-signal-relay-yamaha?sku_id=1127950

I'll be happy to show a video once I get the proper relay installed.  Anyway, the front turn signals have 3 wires for the running lights.

Perfect - thanks for the confirmatory answers. I leave on a trip in a week or so and will likely take this on as project after that. By then you may have the relay installed ... :)

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

Well I tried to post a video but even a few second vid is too large. I assure you with the correct rectifier in place it blinks normally. The turn signals look like they belong on the bike.

• Thumbsup 2

On 7/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, CJ3cyl said:

Well I tried to post a video but even a few second vid is too large. I assure you with the correct rectifier in place it blinks normally. The turn signals look like they belong on the bike.

Thanks for taking the time to come back and update the thread. Now I know what signals to get.

• 1 month later...

Well I received 3 out 4 mt-07 turn signals from partzilla.  They say the last one won't be here until sometime in October.  The relay from Revzilla of course came in quick.  Will be so happy to be rid of these "should not have come stock on such a badass bike" turn signals. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Wallygator said:

Well I received 3 out 4 mt-07 turn signals from partzilla.  They say the last one won't be here until sometime in October.  

Just a thought, but take a close look at the one you received for the opposite side from your ‘missing’ signal, and see if it looks like you can get a second one of those instead.   When I put factory Super Tenere LED signals on my FJ, I found out that the left & rights have different part numbers, but the signal itself it identical…. The only difference was the length of the wiring.   If that is also the case for these MT-07 lights (which I have no idea if they are/aren’t, so you’ll need to verify), you could order a second one of the available units (effectively using two lefts or two rights) and mount it up.  

• Thumbsup 2