Engine Heat

Mike123

I am sorely disappointed at the amount of heat that gets generated by my tracer.  It’s quite uncomfortable and makes for a difficult ride.  I’ve viewed dozens of YouTube videos on the Tracer and not one speaks to this problem.  I can’t be the only one.  Anybody out there find the same thing?  I just don’t think I want to keep the bike very long.  I’m very dissatisfied.

• Premium Member

Where is the heat coming from? I have 110k miles on my bike. Ridden it across Death Valley twice and every other desert in the USA in July and August.  Heat coming from the bike has never been a problem. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

I've have my bike a 2016 FJ09 since 2018 and never until recently experienced the heat of which you speak of.  did a Iron Butt Bun Burner Gold ride 1500 miles in less than 24 hours and rode through 105 temps. During this time I actually burned my left calk severely through my R3 Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit. I just wrapped the catalytic convertor with a heatshield product. The link below has enough to cut in half and partially wrap the side and top.  

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSP-177101

It is designed for the intense heat from a cat. I only have about a 30% wrap. I have yet to take the bike out for an extended ride to see the results. But I will report back. It's by no means the ideal solution, but it may be a stop gap. A new aftermarket exhaust will cost you upwards of a grand to reduce the heat you are experiencing.  I'll also post a couple fo pictures with my "prototype idea". It's ugly, but if it works then I can live with it. I never look at the cat when riding anyway! HA! 

Edited by 2linby

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

The heat seems to be coming from the engine, largely on the left because I first feel it on my left calf, then it radiates to my chest area.  It doesn’t seem to be coming from the exhaust.  Perhaps it’s the engine fan  throwing off heat, I don’t know.  I have a 2020 model so maybe it’s a problem specific to that year.  All I know is my former bike, a Honda CB500X never had this problem.

I have a 2020 Tracer GT and have ridden a fair amount in hot temperatures.  In June rode 500 miles in one day that started in the 80s and went to 105F.  Rode 3 hours in 105F temperatures.  Never a problem with heat off the bike.  In fact I'm amazed I don't feel any heat off of it.  Now if I'm in stop and go traffic and the fan is cycling on and off I do feel heat off the radiator but the engine is never an issue.  I wear full gear.  Boots are Sidi sport boots, bought them a little big because it was such a deal.  I put insoles and wear an extra pair of thick cotton socks.  Pants are First Gear and the jacket is a RevIt mesh with a Dianese airbag vest underneath. 

My previous bike was a BMW F800GT which above low 90sF and above 70mph put out a nice flow of hot air on my inner thighs.  Faster and hotter it was the hotter the airflow.  Out west on a long uphill into a headwind running 80mph (speed limit) it was not fun.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
40 minutes ago, Mike123 said:

I am sorely disappointed at the amount of heat that gets generated by my tracer. I’ve viewed dozens of YouTube videos on the Tracer and not one speaks to this problem.  I can’t be the only one.  Anybody out there find the same thing?

No, never felt any heat, not even a little bit. 

I have ridden a few FJ's, a Tracer and a Niken and didn't notice any heat from any of the CP3's.  To my knowledge, you and @2linby are the only ones who have mentioned any excessive heat, I don't recall any reports of anything as severe as you guys are experiencing.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Same here, I’ve always thought the Tracer to be the best bike I’ve owned for not blasting you with heat, even in traffic. 

I wear full leathers most of the year or on long trips, and Kevlar jeans in really hot days, always wear my boots. 

I’ve never really noticed any heat at all. 

• Supporting Member

I've felt some heat from the left, too.

Nothing uncomfortable whatsoever - but noticeable on occasion.  I'd just attributed it to heat washing through the rad.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I do NYC commuting sometimes; when there’s a lot of slow moving traffic on a warm day I definetily feel quite a lot of heat and it can make a hot day worse.

This is only an issue if I’m in bad traffic though, not any other time. 

I think it depends alot on where and how u are riding. I have the 2020 tracer 900gt, never experienced any heat issues. I did a trip this summer with the hottest temperatures of 35-43c (95-110F) and when i was in city traffic/red lights and when i was stuck at border control (stop and go traffic for 30+ mins) the heat got quite bad.

Aslong as im riding anything over 50km/h there is no issues. But on really hot days with stop and go traffic for a prolonged time, the heat got annoying. But then again.. i dont think a motorcycle excistts that in the scenario i described wouldnt get really hot. You are sitting on top of an engine after alll.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Mike123 said:

I am sorely disappointed at the amount of heat that gets generated by my tracer.  It’s quite uncomfortable and makes for a difficult ride.  I’ve viewed dozens of YouTube videos on the Tracer and not one speaks to this problem.  I can’t be the only one.  Anybody out there find the same thing?  I just don’t think I want to keep the bike very long.  I’m very dissatisfied.

I think this is a troll.  First post.  @Mike123, what bike or bikes did you ride previously?  In the same conditions that you say the Tracer generates heat?  I mean of course on a hot day if you are not moving it will be warmer on a Tracer than if you are standing next to a palm tree.  Maybe electric is in your future.

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, Mike123 said:

Yup. I posted this same issue a couple of months ago and got similar totally dismissive replies. I've ridden hundreds of thousands of miles over a long riding life, air cooled, water cooled, and oil cooled bikes. Ridden deserts, you name it. I'm not a troll, assume you aren't either.  Some replies have an insulted tone to them, as if you are insulting the brand and model rather than noting an issue you have. Disappointing. 

I suggest you inspect your bike from the front and both sides looking for anything that looks different right and left. Find a parts fiche and from your inspection compare what you saw vs what the fiche shows. My issue is on the left too. Look down behind the right and left cowlings to see if that screen mesh is blocked. The right side of the engine sticks out a little more than does the left, that may be a factor somehow. Good luck.

• Thumbsup 1

They mentioned the heat from the expansion chamber, wonder if their bike is running way rich and the cat is making a lot of additional heat.

I really expected to feel some heat from the bike but has been very good - best of the bikes I've had.