okey dokey let's talk tires...

Larz

9 hours ago, MightBeSasquatch said:

It's funny, I was pricing out tires the other day and I still have my chicken scratch on my desk. The new road 6's were only $71.42 USD more for a pair of the T32's. While the road 5's were only $3.38 USD more than the T32's. It definitely got me thinking to maybe try a Michelin on my next go around. Can't afford not to!

That said, I have only had the T32's on my tracer and I have found them to be good so far. The handling has been pretty great and I have had no issue with traction that I have noticed through all weather, including "graupel" last week (yes I had to look it up)! I was robbed of the chance to test the mileage on the rear as I had a flat and decided to just throw a tire on rather than worry about a plug and patch after 5k miles.

The Road 6's (and for that matter Road 5's) are objectively better tires than the T32's, but usually much more expensive.  They're grippier in the wet, and get much better mileage. That said, the difference in the wet is rarely super significant because you just ride more cautiously, and the mileage difference is only really important when compared to $/mile.

If you can get T32's a lot cheaper then they're a very good option.  If they're the same price, though, I'd argue it was simply crazy to not get the Road 6's.  

1 hour ago, betoney said:

GOOD GOD MAN, $500 for a set of tires? 😲   I don't think I have ever paid $300 including tax for a set of tires. 

Lol try being Canadian.  Even cheap T32's here are $460 a set.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, MightBeSasquatch said:

To be fair, at this point neither have I. I have only ordered tires from Revzilla though. Their customer service has been fantastic for me with all products and I value that. That said, I should probably shop around more. For example just looking around I found the t32  for the rear for $178 vs. the currently listed price on Revzilla of $237. I found some even lower prices, though out of stock. When I replaced the rear last time I was in a rush and Revzilla helped with that. Definitely worth looking around going forward though.

FYI, Revzilla will price match anyone's prices as long as they are an in-stock item.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I usually go to RockyMountainATV.com

They even will register you for rebates.  Bridgestone may have a $50 debit card rebate going now...

I usually get around 8k miles out of a T31/T32 a bit more on the fronts.  However, I had a T31 rear suddenly vaporize exposing the cords on a ride and limped home on it.  I swear I checked it with its air pressure before the ride.  It only got about 6,500 miles.

I agree wet performance is not as critical unless it's awful.

I'm partial to Conti's but they've gone up as much as Mich's.  I've run the latest Metz 01 and many Avon's but again they're up their too.  Never run a Pirelli which I believe owns Metzeler.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:43 PM, betoney said:

Very recently, I was checking on supply of tires for my VFR (adventure tire sizes) from several different online retailers and all of them were out of stock of at least the front or rear from several different brands, nobody had a complete set available in the sizes I needed.  I'm still waiting on email notifications of back in stock.

I was looking till about 2 weeks ago. Revzilla gave me 15 bucks and I had some money there from earlier purchases. They had the front and rear Roadsmart IIIs and with all the discounts it was 236.00 for the set. Wanted to try the Bridgestone T32's. Am real happy with the S22s. The rear has 2350 miles on it and I think I could get another 500 miles. Now that I have the no mar tire changer might save them and throw them back on to see how far they go. Only takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the ole man here to pull the tires off the bike, change and balance and put them back on the bike. Inflation has gotten to the T32s but the Dunlop's were priced right with both in stock. I usually use https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tires. they also file you paperwork for the VISA credit rebates. But at this point Revzilla.com did it for me. Not my first choice but had what I needed at a deal. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I also worry about supply.

19 minutes ago, tktplz said:

I was looking till about 2 weeks ago. Revzilla gave me 15 bucks and I had some money there from earlier purchases. They had the front and rear Roadsmart IIIs and with all the discounts it was 236.00 for the set. Wanted to try the Bridgestone T32's. Am real happy with the S22s. The rear has 2350 miles on it and I think I could get another 500 miles. Now that I have the no mar tire changer might save them and throw them back on to see how far they go. Only takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the ole man here to pull the tires off the bike, change and balance and put them back on the bike. Inflation has gotten to the T32s but the Dunlop's were priced right with both in stock. I usually use https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tires. they also file you paperwork for the VISA credit rebates. But at this point Revzilla.com did it for me. Not my first choice but had what I needed at a deal. 

Bridgestone currently has 2 weeks left on their Spring rebate but I cant find a set in stock, either the front or rear are back ordered.  I have the S22 and T32 saved to my wish list on RMATVMC under different sizes for different bikes and they are showing an estimated in-stock date of either May 13 or June 10 depending on the tire. 

Fortunately I have plenty of tires for the FJ but it would be nice to get an extra set for the VFR while they have a rebate.

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

Fortunately I have plenty of tires for the FJ but it would be nice to get an extra set for the VFR while they have a rebate.

I have this set and it will work for the 2 trips in the spring but need another set for in the fall. Like you it would be nice to get in on the rebate!

IMG_5376[1].JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, MightBeSasquatch said:

You all had me nervous so I checked my math again. I was using RevZilla.

Front, Rear Total $494.30

Edit: I am sizing for 120/70ZR17 58W and 18/55ZR17 73W

I was seeing the same thing. Weird Road 5 and 6 are about the same price. I went with Dunlop Roadsmart 3s. Tires were about $100 cheaper than Mich Road 5 or 6 and Dunlop still has their rebate program in effect, so I should have a $60 rebate coming. I'll be doing a lot of straight line commuting this summer, and the Roadsmart 3s are good enough. 

I actually got more miles out of 3s than the rear Roadsmart 4 I tried and they grip much more reliably than the Sportmax I tried on the front (available when I needed it for a short tour) toward end of life. Nothing like two small front end slides to make you ride like a grandma. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/14/2022 at 9:42 PM, tktplz said:

I have this set and it will work for the 2 trips in the spring but need another set for in the fall. Like you it would be nice to get in on the rebate!

IMG_5376[1].JPG

Will be very interested in your opinion.  I like them on my FJ, but don’t love them…  will be going a different route when this set is done.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Road 6s mounted on the GT- really like them! Bit more neutral turn- in than the Conti RA 3s, but much better than the OEM Dunflops or the Bridgestones. Very smooth at triple digits. Paid $437 for the set from Revzilla 🤑

By comparision paid $433 for the set of Conti RA 3s from Revzilla in early 2021- rear went at a bit over 3K

$ 320 for the bargain bin Bridgestones from Cyclegear- hated from day 1- look to have gone 5-6k on the rear but shitty turn-in, bad vibes at triple digits, not very grippy at sporty lean angles😶

If the Road 6s give me at least 4k on the rear they will be my go to, worth the extra $$ - ain't doing anymore Bargain bin crap- ruins the ride, for me at least

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Larz said:

Finally got the Road 6s mounted on the GT- really like them! Bit more neutral turn- in than the Conti RA 3s, but much better than the OEM Dunflops or the Bridgestones. Very smooth at triple digits. Paid $437 for the set from Revzilla 🤑

By comparision paid $433 for the set of Conti RA 3s from Revzilla in early 2021- rear went at a bit over 3K

$ 320 for the bargain bin Bridgestones from Cyclegear- hated from day 1- look to have gone 5-6k on the rear but shitty turn-in, bad vibes at triple digits, not very grippy at sporty lean angles😶

If the Road 6s give me at least 4k on the rear they will be my go to, worth the extra $$ - ain't doing anymore Bargain bin crap- ruins the ride, for me at least

Thank you for the update and experiences with the different tires.  I find it interesting how the exact same product is completely different for 2 different riders.

I have been using the "bargain" Bridgestone tires for many years, S20, S21, S22, T31 and T32 and my experience is exactly the opposite in every single way from yours.  Zero vibration, exceptional cornering grip, very smooth and precise cornering, I am very pleased with their performance and tread life.  But just like wind screens, what works perfectly for one will be unacceptable for another. 

Enjoy the new tires.  👍

• Thumbsup 3

23 hours ago, betoney said:

......"bargain" Bridgestone tires....

ah I'm afraid my poor writing skills have caused you to misconstrue what I meant by Bargain Bin: I was referring too the Bargain Bin at Cyclegear- not any specific brand of tire- at least the Bargain Bin at the Mesa, Az store ( I never shopped tires at the Spokane store when I lived in Idaho so can't say whether they run specials on tires there). 

While it's true I'm not fan of Bridgestones, my experience with them is limited to the Bargain/ sale tires I put on the Tracer and the OEM tires that came on my old Vulcan 1500 so really cannot offer an informed opinion beyond I won't be buying anymore bargain or on sale  rubber of any brand for the Tracer. Honestly I wondered whether the Bridgestones were factory seconds they performed so poorly....

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

My last 3 sets of Bridgestone tires, a S22 and two T32 last year were a bit over $200 each pair after their $50 rebate.  IMO, they're PDG doughnuts and offer the best dollar per mile.  It's unbelievable how prices have gone up this year.  I've always felt supply and demand pricing and liability insurance factors still do not adequately explain the discrepancy between automobile tire and motorcycle prices.

Which brings to mind an experience of mine back in my Yute.

I remember buying for $55, a comparatively high price back in the day, for a pair of the very latest hot street bike and racing tires, Dunlops K81s, which sped up turn-in with a really pronounced V-shaped profile.  They were bias-ply 18 inchers, I can't recall front and rear widths but maybe they were 100/110 and 130.  I do remember them not being sticky by today's standards, as demonstrated one day going up San Francisco's 17th Street in 1972 or 73.

I was heading over to the Haight-Ashbury District from Castro Valley and was stopped at the traffic light that was about 2/3s up what is one of the top 3 steepest streets in the City.  I think Bill Cosby did a routine about driving his Beetle up this hill on a LP recors; still hysterical!  Anyway, waiting for the light to turn green I realized I was desending backwards!  I looked down at my front tire thinking the drum brakes on my BSA GoldStar 500 single were slipping but low and behold, no, the Dunlop were actually sliding, slipping on the tarmac!  There was nothing I could do but try to dig in my boot heels but it was to no avail.  My decline was eventually resisted when my rear tire gently kissed the bumper of the even then old Buick.  I let go of the right hand grip and brake lever as the latter was doing nothing for me at the moment anyway, and twisted my torso around to the left and waived over my left shoulder with my right hand to the Buick driver.  His expression was priceless as I mouthed in an exaggerated fashion "Thank You", as I was ableto do wearing my custom painted Bell open face helmet that day.  Immediately after this, I spun back forward and twisted the throttle and started slipping the clutch.  So when the light turned green and the pickup truck in front of me rolled forward a few feet while belching black smoke that almost engulfed me, I spun up the rear tire until it bit and took off with a baby wheelie.  I vowed later that day to remember never to take 17th Street again if it had or was raining.

True story.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked the Dunlop Roadsmart.  Coming from OE tires to the Dunlops was just a night and day difference. Last year when the OE's ran out of tread I slapped on a set of Metzler Roadtec Z6's for the price point. I must say no regrets and I'll be getting another set. 

On 5/1/2022 at 11:15 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

My last 3 sets of Bridgestone tires, a S22 and two T32 last year were a bit over $200 each pair after their $50 rebate. ....... saw a set of S22s at Cyclegear for $300 the other day- probably best price ya could find right now .....

Which brings to mind an experience of mine back in my Yute.......

I remember buying for $55, a comparatively high price back in the day, for a pair of the very latest hot street bike and racing tires, Dunlops K81s, which sped up turn-in with a really pronounced V-shaped profile.  They were bias-ply 18 inchers, I can't recall front and rear widths but maybe they were 100/110 and 130.  I do remember them not being sticky by today's standards, as demonstrated one day going up San Francisco's 17th Street in 1972 or 73......... Oh yes the K81 was the shiznit back in the day, like '76 when I started riding everyone had to put a set on their Norton 850 Commando; CB 750; KZ 1000, even the RD400 and my own little CB 400/4 SS: they were considered sticky in their day,eh- tire tech come a long way since then.

True story. Sounds fun🤪 I got one for ya, just a couple of months ago on my Dyna ( yeah yeah, it's a Harley but I would bet $100 there ain't a person here would not come back without a big grin on their face if they took her for a ride- 10s of thousand of $$ into performance upgrades, man.

So I get these Carbon Fiber wheels for her- light as a feather they are. Wow, sportbike like handling. About 90 miles in, the left side rear wheel bearings go to shit. Get 'em replaced, having a great time for a couple of weeks chasing down Sportbikes and shit. End of long day riding headed back to the barn climbing Usery Pass rd, go to pass this cager- jump on the throttle and right as I'm next to the car I hear a chirp and the rear wheel locks up for a second and then BANG! The bike does this huge lurch to the left like a giant swatted her- I remember yelling "No" and grabbing the bike with everything I had and jerking to the right- whoa there's the car's door and a face in the window with huge round eyes. The bikes doing this insane wobble now and slowing down fast; I managed to get over to the shoulder. I was sure a tire had blown, but nope everything "looked" ok. i start her back up but she wobbles like crazy at walking speed. Stop again and now I see the drive belt is super tight, WTF I think, how did that happen. Well the left wheel bearings failed again and this time the left side of the hub collapsed and the belt pulley smacked the left side of the axle knocking it back .5 inch. Thank goodness I was doing about 65mph and not the Freeway at triple digits.