Which tank bag?

Hogie

I’m in the market for a tank bag for a 2020 GT. I want one of the filler cap mount ones. discounting the Chinese offerings the choices (at least in Europe) come down to SW Motech, Shad and Givi.

Anyone have any of these and care to share their review?

I have a Givi XS307 "expandable to 15litres" by opening a subsidiary zip around the opening, which adds a bit of vertical height (25mm??), for my GT.

I don't recollect if the extra volume was specified but it's probably 3litres max.

The two side pockets are only useful for very slim items.

The usb cable entry goes into the main compartment.

The transparent lid pocket is only accessible when you open the lid.

I point these aspects out not because I find them an issue but in the interest of explains the functionality.

I use the bag routinely, for day out items, drink, food, phone, hat, sunglasses, map --- etc etc.

The tanklock system lets you adjust the "fore and aft" position of the bag slightly.

I have mine fully back i.e. towards the rider, in this position the bars touch but don't crush into it - on full lock.

Mine has kept the contents dry in pretty wet weather.

Thanks both and for the extensive review Flyfifer, some goods points to bear in mind. I have been using an old magnetic tank bag but feel the tank lock vanity with one of the small bags would suit my needs better. I’ll still keep the magnetic one for my classic bikes.

Flyfifer - where you say the bars rub the bag on lock, even in the more rear fitting, would a smaller bag avoid that?

David

I have both a Givi 3D603 tank bag on my RS and an SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO Daypack Tank Bag on my Tracer 900 GT.

I have had no issues with the mechanism of the Givi which worked perfectly fine until I dropped the back in a gas station and it landed on the mechanism damaging it. I was able to buy a replacement mechanism and after installation it once again works perfectly.

The SW Motech tank bag is excellent for the Tracer 900 GT. Nice and compact in design it fits a surprising amount in its expandable 5 - 9 litres of space. Here are some pictures of the bags and rings.

There is no way I would mount any tank bag on any bike of mine directly on the tank. Magnetic bags only work with steel tanks.

IMG_E2073.jpg

IMG_E2074.jpg

IMG_E2075.jpg

IMG_E2076.jpg

Edited by Grumpy Goat
  • Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Hey Hogie

i don’t use a tank bag but have fitted a Yamaha 50 litre top box. I know Yamaha don’t recommend these for the Tracer GT due to the low maximum weight, but I only ride solo so it’s not an issue.  I see you’re in Surrey. I’m in Knaphill near Woking; where are you?

Screenshot_20220313-115306-266.thumb.png.82aabcbdbd6ef5fe69fc56bce50dbd59.pngHogie, I only mention the bars touching because it's factual rather than an issue.

I should have added that my Givi tank bag does not obscure the "cockpit".

I find the tanklock release a little stiff to open, sometimes - there is a bit of a knack to it. Take note that the tanklock is, obviously!, under the bag so you are disengaging the ring blind.  Perhaps self evident but the bigger the bag the further under it is!

I had a four, or was it six? , litre Givi tanklock bag . It sat like a pea on a base drum. It was only useful for a pair of sun glasses and a phone (I did make a hole in it and fit a "waterproof" gland for a usb cable).

Remember once you fit the tanklock ring you can swap tank bags. I bought the wee bag for buttons off eBay.

Givi sell a little kit that is the locking system fitted to the bag - £10__?? (Givi sell it so you can replace the ring on Yr Givi bag if it gets damaged. As per Grumpy Goat's post.

Using a plastic cutting board, for the base, you can convert any bag you like to Tanklock style.

Edited by flyfifer
  • Thumbsup 3

I was searching for a replacement for my CorTech 2.0 18L Sloping tank bag and cannot find a filler system for the T9GT.  The only one I found to fit is the SW Motech PRO ring for $66 and most places are out of stock, add the bag for another $230 and I decided to keep using my CorTech for as much as I use a tank bag on extended trips.  It's magnets are in the right place to mate with the tank except for the on little mag in the bottom which sits on the seat gasket.

14 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I have both a Givi 3D603 tank bag on my RS and an SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO Daypack Tank Bag on my Tracer 900 GT.

I have had no issues with the mechanism of the Givi which worked perfectly fine until I dropped the back in a gas station and it landed on the mechanism damaging it. I was able to buy a replacement mechanism and after installation it once again works perfectly.

The SW Motech tank bag is excellent for the Tracer 900 GT. Nice and compact in design it fits a surprising amount in its expandable 5 - 9 litres of space. Here are some pictures of the bags and rings.

IMG_E2073.jpg

IMG_E2074.jpg

I just bought the SW Motech EVO daypack bag, it is no longer produced and could get it with a nice discount. All new bags are of the PRO type now.

Still waiting for the tankring which should arrive next week.

I assume you need the extra distance plate for installing as the bag needs a bit of ascendig to get over the plastic tankpart at the front?

55 minutes ago, Fleng said:

I assume you need the extra distance plate for installing as the bag needs a bit of ascendig to get over the plastic tankpart at the front?

No a spacer is not required. See this video: 

Edited by Grumpy Goat
  • Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I love this small  SW Motech PRO magnetic tank bag I use on my 2015 FJ09 .

On My previous Tracer i had back in England I used a tail pack , so id put everything id need for a day out in there , but until i can source a second hand offical Yamaha rear rack I'll just have to squeeze just the vitals into the tank bag ( bottle of water , hat , snack(s) ) 

It's a pricey bit of kit , but great quality.

20220219_235103.jpg

Is anyone using the Givi Metro-T TankLock 5L tank bag on their bike ?  I have my GPS on the handle bar close in to the left side clamp.

I would like to make sure I have enough clearance with this bag on at full lock. 

TIA