Which tank bag?

Hogie

• Premium Member

SW-Mototech Engage & City which are VG though their zippers can be a bit balky but always work.  Best quality. 

I have two inexpensive magnetic units that work PDG though.

The SW-M bags mechanism does take up a fair amount of interior space but is solid, secure and works every time. Their curved underside shape hug the FJ / Tracer tank closely when set moderately but not as far back as the Engage bag was adjusted to the tank as shown in the above post; yet do not interfere with even the more rearward sweep of my Renthal Street Naked bars.

They also swap nicely onto my even faster red VTR1000F Superhawk  (Firestorm)!

My preference is a pretty low profile tank bag with a large window for paper maps. I tend to sort on the smaller capacity tank bags when I search.

I've used the Fly Racing Street Mini Tank Bag for a while and been reasonably satisfied. Capacity-wise (nominally 2.5L from the spec), it is perfect for me; enough to hold charging cables, a USB battery, phone, sun-glasses, a mini flashlight, leatherman style multi-tool. The map display window could be a bit larger (nominal size is 10.25” L x 7.5” W x 2” H).

This thread prompted some searching, and I am considering upgrade to the XKursion XT Co-Pilot Tank Bag. At 6.25L, it is frankly larger than I really want in terms of capacity. But the size is 8 1/2" W x 11 1/4" D x 4" H, and I think that even though the map window is only marginally increased it would actually be a notable improvement for me. I'd just prefer it was less than 4" high.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, bowlin01 said:

I use both Givi and SW Moech tank bags, but prefer the SW Motech...

IMG_3941 (2).JPG

Nice setup. Are those Yamaha panniers stock color or did you have them painted?

Love the Givi tank lock system and bags, have owned 3 of them in varying models. Never liked the magnetic bags and despise the strap bags, but hey we have some good choices for tank bags eh?

• Thumbsup 3

I have the Yamaha tank lock and bag which is a rebranded SW Motech. The release mechanism didn't work well at first. I almost couldn't get it off when I pulled in for gas om my way home after buying the bike (second hand).

I disassembled the mechanism and found nothing wrong. No dirt, no rough edges, so I sprayed it with silicon lube and it has been working fine ever since.

Apart from that rough start I am pretty pleased with it. 

• Supporting Member

Got an RKA based on a review / feedback on this site with zero regrets:

https://rka-luggage.com

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I hardly ever use a tank bag except on a long trip so I just use a mag bag.  Never fell off in all the time I used it.  Now I'm replacing my 18L sloped tank bag from Cortech with a smaller 12L Cortech mag bag.  I just dislike that ring around the gas cap.

Most of the time I just use pockets and my top case or tail bag along with the side cases.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, OldBikers said:

I hardly ever use a tank bag except on a long trip so I just use a mag bag.  Never fell off in all the time I used it.  Now I'm replacing my 18L sloped tank bag from Cortech with a smaller 12L Cortech mag bag.  I just dislike that ring around the gas cap.

Most of the time I just use pockets and my top case or tail bag along with the side cases.

You do have several big bags...

Hi Cogswell,

I use a Givi Metro-T TankLock 5L tank bag on my '21 T9GT ( and a wee-strom). I don't see how it could interfere with anything on the bars. Perfect size bag for me. When I need written instructions, I just tape a piece of paper on the top.

Cheers!

Craig

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You do have several big bags...

Yep, those are my tail bags which I can still use with the top case since I don't carry passengers. so in total I can have about 150L of gear including a weeks supply of Depends.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, OldBikers said:

Yep, those are my tail bags which I can still use with the top case since I don't carry passengers. so in total I can have about 150L of gear including a weeks supply of Depends.

I can't believe you didn't get it!

Or did you?

On 4/9/2022 at 7:27 AM, Craig in Alabama said:

Hi Cogswell,

I use a Givi Metro-T TankLock 5L tank bag on my '21 T9GT ( and a wee-strom). I don't see how it could interfere with anything on the bars. Perfect size bag for me. When I need written instructions, I just tape a piece of paper on the top.

Cheers!

Craig

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I found a close out SW-Motech ION low profile bag and bought it. 

• Thumbsup 1

Alabama Craig,

The Metro 505, five litre tanklock bag, is quoted as 5litres and 190 mm x 280 mm x 220 mm ( HEIGHT x DEPTH x WIDTH )

Significantly greater dimensions than the EA123 Givi 5litre bag. EA123 quoted as  100mm x 260 mm x 200 mm ( HEIGHT x DEPTH x WIDTH ) .

Does the Metro bag seem like 5litres to you or a bit larger ?

[I asked Givi, last year, to explain the anomoly but just got waffle).

Edited by flyfifer