No 2023 Yamaha 9GT+ for USA?

Warchild

One of the best things about this forum is that it's an escape from the tribalism that infests most other social media. And frankly tribalism that's infesting real life too!

Sure we're a tribe of motorcycle riders who enjoying romping around on our trusty steeds and think we're the better for it, but mostly we focus on our commonality rather than our differences.

Given the size and distribution of this forum, it's guaranteed that if you deride some thing, someone or some place you're bound to be insulting a fellow rider who may not have the luxury of choices you enjoy. Even if expressed under the thinly veiled guise of a joke, no one finds it funny and no one cares to hear it in the first place.

So.... back to tracers?

Edited by ZigMerid
  • Thumbsup 7

Just in case nobody noticed, there is a healthy flow of US citizens INTO Cali as well as out. We moved here almost 5 years ago, from New Mexico.  And no, you do not have to be a millionaire.  Our new house, an easy 70 mile ride from Long Beach, cost us $430k, is in a lovely safe crime free city, and now claims a value well over $500k.

We love it here.  We loved NM also but NM cannot remotely compare to CA.  I mean that in the nicest way. The CA weather is incomparable to any of the dozen other US states I lived in during my work life.  If you are a daily must-rider like I am, there simply is no other place with anywhere near the riding possibilities.  You think of all the things that can affect Quality of Life, put the weather at top of list.

As for the odd belief that CA is home to weird regulators and tax collectors, keep in mind here we can legally split traffic. For me, that ALONE makes CA a Heaven on Earth.  Taxes?  Sure they’re high here, as they are in every other civilized state anywhere in the world.

Yes you get what you pay for.

• Thumbsup 4

3 hours ago, duckie said:

Hmmmmm….oh really…..so using your logic…..I dont have a good life cause I dont make a few million or more a year……and live in Ca. 
Well, bullshit.

Lovely post - thanks!

Seems like it is popular for some people (especially those not from CA) to crap on the place but despite all its "faults" (not to mention that in summer it is brown, there are aways forest fires, mudslides and earth tremors/quakes, Hollywood, etc.) over 12% of the US population choose to live there making it the most populous state in the Union. Must be something to what you say ... 🙂

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

1 hour ago, Grumpy Goat said:

over 12% of the US population choose to live there making it the most populous state in the Union. Must be something to what you say ... 🙂

Yeah well there's 1.5 billion people on tiktok, just because it's popular doesn't make it right.😜

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, Larz said:

My theory on the lack of '23 9GTs for the Land of Free- Yamaha hopes to build some demand by decreasing supply.....

Whatever their reasoning, remember that Yamaha did the same thing in 2018.  Yamaha did not release a 2018 Tracer in North America when transitioning from the FJ09 to the Gen II Tracer GT.  (I'm not 100% certain about Canada but there was definitely no '18 model in the U.S.)

I am remaining optimistic for a 2024 model Tracer9 GT+.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Whatever their reasoning, remember that Yamaha did the same thing in 2018.  Yamaha did not release a 2018 Tracer in North America when transitioning from the FJ09 to the Gen II Tracer GT.  (I'm not 100% certain about Canada but there was definitely no '18 model in the U.S.)

Good point. Maybe MY '24 will have some new features, or least a single bigger TFT screen,eh

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Larz said:

Good point. Maybe MY '24 will have some new features, or least a single bigger TFT screen,eh

Agreed.  I have already heard that the new motor is a peach, so if they could replace the dual screen with the 7" single TFT and replace the right thumb wheel with the left thumb "joystick" I would be tempted to upgrade.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

And just to confirm for Australia - it does indeed look like that we're getting the standard GT version for '23 and not the + (plus) version or so this quote from the usually reliable AMCN site informs us.

"Yamaha has no immediate plans to release the radar-cruise-equipped GT+ variant in Australia but we will receive the Tracer GT in 2023 with all the other updates."

Full story here.

A shame as the plus version sounds intriguing.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

And just to confirm for Australia - it does indeed look like that we're getting the standard GT version for '23 and not the + (plus) version or so this quote from the usually reliable AMCN site informs us.

"Yamaha has no immediate plans to release the radar-cruise-equipped GT+ variant in Australia but we will receive the Tracer GT in 2023 with all the other updates."

Full story here.

A shame as the plus version sounds intriguing.

I believe this may indeed be a supply issue, an over stock issue.  I was at the local dealer this morning talking with the sales guy, he believes that Yamaha will be skipping the Tracer for 2023 as they just got their shipment of 2022 models.  This dealership alone got 9 of them that they need to try and sell over the Winter, they are only pulling one of each color out of the crate and assembling them since they aren't selling, the rest are just sitting in the crates in storage. 

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, betoney said:

I believe this may indeed be a supply issue, an over stock issue.  I was at the local dealer this morning talking with the sales guy, he believes that Yamaha will be skipping the Tracer for 2023 as they just got their shipment of 2022 models.  This dealership alone got 9 of them that they need to try and sell over the Winter, they are only pulling one of each color out of the crate and assembling them since they aren't selling, the rest are just sitting in the crates in storage. 

Hmmm, does this mean potentially cheap '22 Tracers for you guys until the supply catch-up happens or is it just that your winter is traditionally slow for sales anyway - or a bit from column A and some from column B?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Hmmm, does this mean potentially cheap '22 Tracers for you guys until the supply catch-up happens or is it just that your winter is traditionally slow for sales anyway - or a bit from column A and some from column B?

The ones I saw were fresh out of the crate, one red and one silver/blue, both were marked down a few hundred $$ below MSRP,

In 2019 Yamaha sold both the Tracer 900 and GT models here in NA, the base-level Tracer 900 didn't sell very well so for awhile Yamaha dropped the price to around $7500 to clear out remaining models.  After that, the only model we got was the GT version. 

Yes, winter is traditionally slower for sales of street bikes, not sure if the prices will drop to reduce inventory or they will hold on to them until summer?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, Warchild said:

News to me...  really, no 2023 Tracer for us?

"Yamaha will offer its most sophisticated Tracer to date for 2023 with the new Tracer 9 GT+. The revised sport-touring machine gets numerous electronic upgrades augmenting engine, suspension, and braking performance along with a few creature comfort enhancements. As of this writing, Yamaha has no plans to release the 2023 model in the States; riders outside the USA can expect to see the machine in dealerships starting in May 2023."

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/story/news/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-plus-first-look-preview-2023/

This really sucks!  I wonder if it's based on sales numbers?

Brad
Selbyville, DE

On 12/15/2022 at 9:35 AM, betoney said:

In Canada, there was a 2018 Tracer 900.

The first GT model came out in 2019.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

In Canada, there was a 2018 Tracer 900.

The first GT model came out in 2019.

I agree.

My thought is that Yamaha wants to unload the '21 and '22 inventory and release '24 models in 2024.