Motorcycle cover for the FJ-09

nhridah

• Premium Member
I appreciate you taking the time to relay your experience and priorities. I don't have the tree sap problem at home as I have a garage. The bike bay in my office car park has tree cover and we get a sticky residue, which I think is honeydew from aphids. It's soluble in rain which suggests it is sugary, so soon goes away.

I guess we are at different ends of a spectrum as I would never consider a motorcycle as an investment and rarely clean it - it gets a wash when I decide to clean the chain as part of routine maintenance. As I use an auto-oiler, that has only happened twice in 6000 miles as the total loss lubrication system keeps the chain free of dirt as most of the muck gets attached to the oil and splattered onto the back of the number plate.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Somewhere online I saw a lycra stretch cover that went from the handguards to the back of the bike. It would be just the thing to stop bird poop and tree sap, but did not cover the sides of the bike.
Sorry, I don't remember the brand or context.
Could this be it?  These are great covers for about every application. http://www.pashnit.com/product/geza.html 

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Just bought the Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 Half Cover for traveling.  My FJ has the Madstad 22" windshield, 2" mirror extenders, FJR saddlebags, and a topbox (I own both the Givi 52L and the Givi 33L). 

XL size is what works for this configuration.  Fits perfectly!  Large would have been too small.  Just thought I'd pass that along.  I'll post a pic later in the week.  Cover material is lightweight, waterproof, and seems tough enough so I think it's going to work out just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I know this is an "older" post, but I probably have the best answer to the original question asked. Nelson-Rigg worked directly with Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, and several others, to design an adventure-specific full-bike cover. I give you (ok, Nelson-Rigg gives you) the Defender Extreme Adventure Motorcycle Cover, aka DEX-ADV. Depending on your bike, as well as what attached accessories you have (larger-than-stock windscreen, side cases, top case, etc, it will either completely cover your bike AND tires/wheels, or it will cover everything except the lowest few inches of the tires/wheels. I picked received mine last week (ordered via revzilla.com), and, with the Puig Touring Windscreen, as well as a Corbin saddle w/ backrest, it still completely covers the bike & tires/wheels, all the way down to the ground. Here's Nelson-Rigg's page:

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/covers/defender-extreme-adventure-cover-detail.html

And here's the ordering page from Revzilla:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nelson-rigg-defender-extreme-adventure-cover

I've used several different bike cover brads over the years, but I always find my way back to Nelson-Rigg.

• Premium Member
I realize this is older and about "full" covers.
My Nelson-Rigg 3/4 does the job on the road.
Doesn't take up any space. Covers the top of the bike.
And it's waterproof.

2 thumbs up09bb19fd24e1474486a430a09eedc31a.jpg638b5850430bd1bcdd3b39b2fdebf43d.jpg006369bf9b61cce31534bdf86007fa52.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 years later...
On 12/7/2016 at 4:26 AM, steveb said:

As promised here's a picture of the XL Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 Half Cover on my FJ

4_Nwgnla.jpg i1_P7y_Ul.jpg

Cover stuffed into included pouch (Fanny pack style)

St_Nj_X7i.jpg

I know this thread is 4 years old but it's just what I was looking for... Thanks steveb

Blue Lives Matter

I purchased an inexpensive store brand cover from Cycle Gear a few years ago.  It has held up surprisingly well.  My logic is to put the spendy parts on the bike, but use cheap covers.  My BILT cover screams cheap, even though it does the job.  When my bike is parked at a hotel or campground, surrounded by other covered bikes proudly proclaiming BMW, etc.  I figure a thief will look under the over covers first.   - YMMV.  

Ride Safe! 

• Premium Member

Ollie's Bargain Outlet had some Simonize XL covers for $13. Not a great fit and there are just eyelets where you need bungee to anchor it to the pegs, but it fully covered my FJ w factory bags and top box. I had some bulk bungee cord that I tried through the eyelets. Works fine for the $$.

• Thumbsup 1