Gear Position Indicator Going Blank

SITUATION: I've got about 2500 miles on my FJ09.  I live in Colorado and ride exclusively on paved roads.  I ride conservatively compared to most dudes I know, and rarely carry a passenger.  No modifications to the bike.

ISSUE: Recently, between 2nd and 5th gears, the gear position indicator goes blank after I shift, either up or down.  It usually corrects itself if I release the throttle, shift back into the previous gear, and repeat.  No other issues with the transmission, but this has been happening more frequently over the past ~500 miles.  Otherwise, the clutch and gearing is actually one of my favorite aspects of the bike - very fluid, precise, and predictable.

Diagnosis? Recommendation? Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member
try adjusting the gear lever - it has been found to be set too low for those who do not have feet the size of the average Japanese test dummy.

I suspect you are not pushing the gear lever up enough to trip the device that keeps track of the gear changes and there is a "not sure WTF is going on situation" for the ECU
  • Thumbsup 1
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Both good suggestions.

Another to add: has the shift shaft been replaced under warranty? Did the bike seem to "loose track" of gear selection before the replacement? Or only afterwords?

If so, the dealer who performed the recall work may need to double check the job.

My bike does this occasionally if I forget to downshift when slowing to a stop. If I stop and realize I'm in 4th gear for example, simply down shifting at that point is difficult and my indicator on the instrument cluster will indicate the -- that you mentioned seeing. I have to manipulate the clutch out slightly while downshifting to get the gears to select down to N or 1st, if that makes any sense.

Skip

Both good suggestions.  
Another to add: has the shift shaft been replaced under warranty? Did the bike seem to "loose track" of gear selection before the replacement? Or only afterwords?

If so, the dealer who performed the recall work may need to double check the job.

My bike does this occasionally if I forget to downshift when slowing to a stop. If I stop and realize I'm in 4th gear for example, simply down shifting at that point is difficult and my indicator on the instrument cluster will indicate the -- that you mentioned seeing. I have to manipulate the clutch out slightly while downshifting to get the gears to select down to N or 1st, if that makes any sense.

Skip
I've had the downshifting issue on just about every bike I've ridden. Quite scary when the light turns green just as you come to a stop and cars are barreling up behind you. You have to lightly feather the clutch just enough to get the transmission turning but not enough to drive the wheel.

Ok, back to the original topic. I would definitely try what wessie suggested first. It's a simple fix that has worked for others in the past. Theoretically it could be the shift shaft but I think the chances are much slimmer than the pedal.

I have a similar issue when downshifting rapidly through multiple gears. I am going to experiment with adjusting the shift lever position today. It seems to be set very low from the dealer.
  • Thumbsup 1
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• 2 years later...
I've been having similar issues. My gear position indicator will momentarily go blank exclusively when I'm in 6th gear. It comes and goes. All other gears will not have this problem, just 6th. Anybody have similar issues. We recently changed chain and sprockets, could this have an impact ? I will check if my gear lever is loose.

I've been having similar issues. My gear position indicator will momentarily go blank exclusively when I'm in 6th gear. It comes and goes. All other gears will not have this problem, just 6th. Anybody have similar issues. We recently changed chain and sprockets, could this have an impact ? I will check if my gear lever is loose.

It’s possible. I don’t remember off the top of my head, but the wiring for the switch might pass through that area. Or it exits the top back portion of the engine, accessible from under the tank.

Anyway, the way you are describing your issue sounds like a dirty/loose connection - or you aren’t quite getting into 6th gear cleanly every time.

I’d suspect the pin fit on the switch connector terminals, or the contact in the case is getting worn.

So basically, troubleshoot WHERE the signal issue is coming from, or throw a switch at the problem.

You can put the bike on the center stand, engine off, and shift through the gears manually with no clutch and manipulate the rear wheel to “help” the dogs slide together while the gear shift lever is moved with your hand.

It take some experience to feel, but if 6th slides in about as cleanly as the other gears, I’d focus on an electrical issue first as opposed to suspecting gear wear in the trans.

-Skip

It has happened on my FZ-07 a few times... nothing wrong really with the parts... I remove the sensor and wipe the sensor face off and wipe out the sensor housing on the engine...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 5 months later...

I recently encountered this issues also.  Pulling the sensor out and wiping the face didn't help.  Since it started when I got caught in a rainstorm, I thought some moisture may have gotten in connector.  When I removed the tank and airbox to change the plugs and filter, I inspected the connector and it was clean and dry.  I pulled the sensor again and used some #0000 steel wool on the face of it and polished up the contacts.  Before putting the sensor back I sprayed it down with some WD-40 and wiped it thoroughly to make sure there wasn't any residue from the steel wool.  Works good now. 

• Thumbsup 1