What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Rode 115 miles and turned over 20,000 miles on the GT.  I purchased it used in October 2020 with 4400 miles.  It runs perfect, but I do plan to check the valve clearances in the near future.

25D0266F-17B8-47B2-BD67-098CF093B5C8.jpeg

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Took a trip to Lewiston NY to pickup the new Madstad screen. I tried it on the FJ as soon as I got home. This was my first trip to the U.S. in two years 😮. The USCBP guy was super friendly... most are. Our CBSA people were pretty chill too.

madstad_short.thumb.jpg.11c785b7c02e8e0cd90532e719ae801a.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 3/29/2022 at 4:34 PM, Wintersdark said:

Could be either brake, clutch, or the throttle back-turn switch.  It's still under warranty so I'm actually sitting at a dealership waiting for it to open right now, gonna have them figure it out.  

I'm hoping the Yamaha dealerships software is more useful.

So what was the diagnosis?

14 hours ago, piotrek said:

Took a trip to Lewiston NY to pickup the new Madstad screen. I tried it on the FJ as soon as I got home. This was my first trip to the U.S. in two years 😮. The USCBP guy was super friendly... most are. Our CBSA people were pretty chill too.

madstad_short.thumb.jpg.11c785b7c02e8e0cd90532e719ae801a.jpg

Great and welcome back!  We've missed you folks to our north.

The new screen looks cool and I love the tint.

• Like 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, nhchris said:

Great and welcome back!  We've missed you folks to our north.

It's good to see things crawling back to 'normal'. I am sure border towns on either side want to see commerce improve. I will usually make a trip a couple of times a year to ride the Adirondacks or somewhere in PA.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Yup.  I'm looking forward tp Americade in Like George NY in June. 

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

On 4/2/2022 at 4:43 AM, petshark said:

So what was the diagnosis?

So, it's seen many hours of work at with a Yamaha certified master tech.  All switches are working correctly, he's run it with a datalogger for a full hour, and been in communication with Yamaha.  So far, it appears that nothing is wrong.  Except the cruise control shuts off.  Yet there's no signal from any of the switches, no data showing why it turns off, it just does.  I'm guessing it's a software problem.

Glad I've got the T7 to ride while they're monkeying with it.  

Installed the Careud TPMS (Model M3Z-TH) into the 2021 Gt 9 via Aliexpress

After taking off each tire and installing the internal sensor (the sensors are already registered to the receiver and are marked (F) front and (R) rear and putting the tires back on I had the issue of mounting the actual receiver.

There were two problems with this

1) The location on where to put the mount kit that came with it

More importantly:

2) The plastic on the back of the receiver was brittle and any amount of torque to mount this to the supplied mount cracked it and pulled the mounting nut out of the back of the receiver.

At this point I knew that I was not going to mount this in the traditional sense because the plastic was giving away and eventually it will fail (most likely flying down the highway)

So I broke out the belt sander and sanded down the back side of the receiver till it was flat, and used 3M Dual Lock Velcro and mounted the receiver on the "nose" of the dashboard

Perfect place for it.

Over all this TPMS seems to be solid and accurate. There are no tenths of a PSI or Bar so if you set your tires to 33.5 it will show 33 till it rolls over to 34 and then display 34. It updates from time to time the changes in the pressure as your riding (I dont know the refresh rate but its a few times a minute). The receiver is rechargeable and can run on switched power if you wish. If you run it on the internal battery it will shut off after your done riding and a little bit of movement of the bike wakes it up again.

Some pro points of the system:

The receiver seems to have a LCD display that at first seems very basic but it works very well for what it needs to do in direct sun light or dark. If there is a major change in tire pressure (deflation of course) the system alerts you right away and flashes lights and sounds an alarm

There are various parameters you can set for the front and rear tire in regards to high and low pressure and temperature limits.

Some Cons of the system:

The receiver mount on its back is very fragile and any amount of torque to mount it to its supplied bracket basically started to fracture the mount to the point that I would not trust it

It took almost a month for this to ship from China to my house.

So far I'm liking the system and it does just "fit" on the nose and just kind of blend right in. While using the internal sensors were kind of a pain in the butt to get in, its better than the external screw on ones because I'm always checking my pressure anyway so to take off the locking nut to check air is going to be a hassle for me in the long run.

20220410_131720.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Eventhorizon said:

Installed the Careud TPMS (Model M3Z-TH) into the 2021 Gt 9 via Aliexpress

After taking off each tire and installing the internal sensor (the sensors are already registered to the receiver and are marked (F) front and (R) rear and putting the tires back on I had the issue of mounting the actual receiver.

There were two problems with this

1) The location on where to put the mount kit that came with it

More importantly:

2) The plastic on the back of the receiver was brittle and any amount of torque to mount this to the supplied mount cracked it and pulled the mounting nut out of the back of the receiver.

At this point I knew that I was not going to mount this in the traditional sense because the plastic was giving away and eventually it will fail (most likely flying down the highway)

So I broke out the belt sander and sanded down the back side of the receiver till it was flat, and used 3M Dual Lock Velcro and mounted the receiver on the "nose" of the dashboard

Perfect place for it.

Over all this TPMS seems to be solid and accurate. There are no tenths of a PSI or Bar so if you set your tires to 33.5 it will show 33 till it rolls over to 34 and then display 34. It updates from time to time the changes in the pressure as your riding (I dont know the refresh rate but its a few times a minute). The receiver is rechargeable and can run on switched power if you wish. If you run it on the internal battery it will shut off after your done riding and a little bit of movement of the bike wakes it up again.

Some pro points of the system:

The receiver seems to have a LCD display that at first seems very basic but it works very well for what it needs to do in direct sun light or dark. If there is a major change in tire pressure (deflation of course) the system alerts you right away and flashes lights and sounds an alarm

There are various parameters you can set for the front and rear tire in regards to high and low pressure and temperature limits.

Some Cons of the system:

The receiver mount on its back is very fragile and any amount of torque to mount it to its supplied bracket basically started to fracture the mount to the point that I would not trust it

It took almost a month for this to ship from China to my house.

So far I'm liking the system and it does just "fit" on the nose and just kind of blend right in. While using the internal sensors were kind of a pain in the butt to get in, its better than the external screw on ones because I'm always checking my pressure anyway so to take off the locking nut to check air is going to be a hassle for me in the long run.

20220410_131720.jpg

Interesting thx for the review

Plz post pic of wheel air valve; ie can you use a normal aftermarket 85° valve stem?

Link to aliexpress ?

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

So, it's seen many hours of work at with a Yamaha certified master tech.  All switches are working correctly, he's run it with a datalogger for a full hour, and been in communication with Yamaha.  So far, it appears that nothing is wrong.  Except the cruise control shuts off.  Yet there's no signal from any of the switches, no data showing why it turns off, it just does.  I'm guessing it's a software problem.

Glad I've got the T7 to ride while they're monkeying with it.  

Ugh, a ghost in the machine.

I do some coding myself and I can't image how Yamaha could have a bug in their ECU code that causes this TBH. It has to be triggered somehow by something physical.

Reminds me of my suspension tech saying he upgraded a Tracer's fork and got an ABS error afterwards. They ended up going to a Yamaha dealer, replacing the sensor, re-flashing the ECU but could not fix the error. 

it's great that you have warranty and another bike. Hopefully they'll find it.

• Thumbsup 1