What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

New tires came in, I'm going to ride the current a tish longer just to see what happens. But overall pretty even wear 6k miles.

PXL_20230621_180050031.jpg

PXL_20230621_180238345.jpg

Edited by kilo3
  • Thumbsup 2

What's up kilo3?  Long-time lurker, first time poster.  I'm down in Winona, and like to see another MN Tracer owner active here.  Last year, a front Road 5 "fell off the back of a truck" and I bought a matching rear over the winter.  Wanted to eke a few more miles out of the old set while the roads were still sandy.  Just slapped the new set a couple weeks ago.  Slightly over 10k on the old set.  New rubber is spectacular.  P.S.; don't be offended if I don't reply, I had to search for some time to find my login info.  I ordinarily just browse sans login.  A few post-work beers, coincidental rubber change timing and geographical proximity necessitated a post.

20230609_180143.jpg

20230606_184952.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

@The Donkey
I'd say you got your money out of that tire!

Also your lucky being down in Winona, usually we drive down via Welch before hitting the ABC roads, that stretch between the cities and hastings is a rough boring one.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

The worst stretch in the world is the drone to get southwest to the good stuff around Starved Rock on the Illinois River from Skokie, which is only 2.5 miles from Big Mich. The slab route is fraught with danger from constant construction with edge traps and general ignorance or more likely, just not caring how motorcyclists must also deal with big rigs, RVs, local insanity with shootings rampant, and consequently dozens of overlapping jurisdictions of law enforcement.

There is no back road route that makes any sense so I rarely get down there.

Another one is getting out to Galena on the Mississippi. Just a humongous threat to your life and sanity but once you get there you say, "Well worth it".

Then you get home and you say, "No it wasn't".

Blue dot in upper right is Skokie 

Red target lower left is Starved Rock 

Screenshot_20230622_092448_Maps.jpg

17 minutes ago, CPD419 said:

Shorty levers. 

IMG_0038.jpeg

Nice! Few questions... Which brand - ASV's?  Also not that we use the clutch side often with the quick-shifter but is it easier and the throw movement better?

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, robzilla said:

Nice! Few questions... Which brand - ASV's?  Also not that we use the clutch side often with the quick-shifter but is it easier and the throw movement better?

Try adjustable length levers Which also are quick reach adjustable and the lever itself tips up On a hinge

If you have big hands adjustable length levers are the way to go because the shorties are too small for My size eleven's

I also use "Lever Skins" which came in a sealed pouch soaked in solvent. They were slimy and you forced them, Like trying to catch a pig in a mud hole, over the lever and when the solvent evaporated they became skin tight. I mean tight And sexy with a lot of grip even when wet!!!

Now these and their Chicom clones are what is available.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pgg-480bk?rrec=true

20230622_185658.jpg

20230622_185644.jpg

They are eBay specials. I’ve used them many times in the past. My problem with the oem controls is I was having trouble keeping two fingers on the grips. These fixed that perfectly especially with the brake. Trail braking should be easy now. One this is the clutch leaver has to be slightly modified. But for 25 bucks shipped I can do that. 

Left her in the garage to take the Tenere out to Rendezvous 2023, a weekend adventure/dual sport rally thing.  

Got the T7 a bit dirty with mud pits, a river crossing, and a couple hundred kilometers of dirt.

PXL_20230624_183404953.thumb.jpg.344971007e0b9921936c915cc1ae03e3.jpg

Had TONS of fun, but for the reason of this post:

I absolutely LOVED the crashing around off-road, but man, riding out and back on the T7 was miserable compared to the Tracer.  No cruise control, hard seat, etc.  After 4 years with the Tracer, I've become soft, and demanding.  Yamaha better release a Tenere 900 in the next 2 years!

Two bikes for two different things is great in theory but you do find those times when you want to do both those things.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Well, I spent half of the day cleaning up my 2019 900 and my (new to me - picked up yesterday) 2019 GT. The transferring process started. So far I transferred wind deflector, the beak, SW Motech tank bag with mounting ring and Air Hawk seat cushion with cover. Removed passenger grabs from GT. Few more accessories left thanks be done - radiator guard, hand levers, engine protection, skid plate, top case with rack and LED lights, foot pegs, auxiliary lights, GPS and side stand foot enlargement-before GT is ready to go and 900 is ready to go on the market. Anyone interested in Ontario? Mint condition with only 18000 km on it.

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 1

Installed the Seat Concepts kit on my 2020 Tracer 900GT. Only got in about 15 miles after the install, but my initial impression is that it is a vast improvement over the stock seat! Forward lean is all but gone and in the low position I can still flat-foot the bike. More extensive testing will be required this week!

• Thumbsup 4

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

On 6/26/2023 at 6:03 AM, Suzukiguy said:

Installed the Seat Concepts kit on my 2020 Tracer 900GT. Only got in about 15 miles after the install, but my initial impression is that it is a vast improvement over the stock seat! Forward lean is all but gone and in the low position I can still flat-foot the bike. More extensive testing will be required this week!

I've got a Seat Concepts seat on my T7, and love it.  Nice to hear they've got a good Tracer seat too!

On 6/26/2023 at 8:03 AM, Suzukiguy said:

Out of curiosity ... what's your inseam measurement?  I've had Seat Concepts on a couple of bikes and liked them but have short legs and can't really afford any more height.  Although, a little more seat-to-peg distance would be nice for my creaky, old knees.  🧓🦵

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

I have a 32" inseam and in the lower position it works great!

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

On 6/26/2023 at 12:32 AM, Rick123 said:

Well, I spent half of the day cleaning up my 2019 900 and my (new to me - picked up yesterday) 2019 GT. The transferring process started. So far I transferred wind deflector, the beak, SW Motech tank bag with mounting ring and Air Hawk seat cushion with cover. Removed passenger grabs from GT. Few more accessories left thanks be done - radiator guard, hand levers, engine protection, skid plate, top case with rack and LED lights, foot pegs, auxiliary lights, GPS and side stand foot enlargement-before GT is ready to go and 900 is ready to go on the market. Anyone interested in Ontario? Mint condition with only 18000 km on it.

Today GT got fresh oil and oil filter. Foot enlargement and engine protectors moved from one to another. Relocated RAM phone holder too.

Edited by Rick123