What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

THIS IS FOR HEAVY

A funny guy like me

Semi gallows humor 

The synergy of live controled motion offered by fixed wing 1-prop planes and fast motorcycles and how they're often flown low by the same pilots shooting for the same feel of speed and G-force...

And I'm not gonna quote it.

And in a way, the same feeling of being able to walk away after returning to base means it was a great sorte, or sortie; French for going out at speed to defend ("Defending" is objective unless you're Putin)

And that feeling often times hits you as you stop and look back at "your" bike and admire your connection to it when riding and then, you laugh and knowingly, illogically, thank it for getting you back in one piece.

Like patting the underside of the fuselage in the same spot after each landing.

And

everyone should know that every landing is just another controlled crash for the day.

• Thumbsup 1

She's 4 now, so I treated her to a nice set of stainless steel braided brake lines from Fren Tubo.  Really nice kit, came with extra banjo bolts and crush washers.  

However.  I'd just like to say: whoever decided the Tracer should have sections of hardlines for the brakes and THOSE GODDAMNED STUPID BOXES TO CONNECT TO THEM IN THE MOST INACCESSIBLE PLACES MEEDS TO DIE IN A FIRE!

*cough*

Excuse me.

Seriously though, what an annoying design, and I wish the kit I bought just bypassed them and ran lines directly to/from the ABS pump.  If have asked for that specifically if I'd only known. 

Then, after a lot more time than I'd anticipated, and the joys of refilling and bleeding a fully empty braking system, I was done.  Except I'd forgotten the two small rubber lines that lead from the ABS pump like 8" to the left side blocks and hardlines forward. 

Nope.  I'd just finished refilling and bleeding. Those two lines can stay.  Next time I want to bleed the brakes I'll swap them out.  

So MOSTLY new brake lines.  Ugh.

Also checked throttle body sync while I was in there, but all was good.20230510_223558.thumb.jpg.159ba971a5b49067f8c7f3b26fd15718.jpg

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

Always, always check if a brake line kit eliminates those oem junctions and extra, unnecessary lines.  Less places to leak and dick around with = better, more reliable function and feel.

That's why I recommend the Speigler "racing" kit that comes with very good instructions and labeled lines plus a banjo orientation tool.

Most like me just cut out the oem steel lines running inside the frame and engine to the front from the pump.  Saves time and aggravation.

Don't forget to trigger the ABS pump to flush fluid out.  Only way I know is the dodgy way; i.e.; locking up the front and rear on a slick or grassy surface. 😬

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

She's 4 now, so I treated her to a nice set of stainless steel braided brake lines from Fren Tubo.  Really nice kit, came with extra banjo bolts and crush washers.  

However.  I'd just like to say: whoever decided the Tracer should have sections of hardlines for the brakes and THOSE GODDAMNED STUPID BOXES TO CONNECT TO THEM IN THE MOST INACCESSIBLE PLACES MEEDS TO DIE IN A FIRE!

I agree, its a terrible design.  Like @2and3cylinders mentioned, I went with the Spiegler lines which bypass those junction points, each line goes straight to the ABS pump and having the "clockable" banjo bolts to enable use at any angle was the selling point for me.

Glad you got it all finished, its a frustrating job but its finished now.  Time to RIDE!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

…whoever decided the Tracer should have sections of hardlines for the brakes and THOSE GODDAMNED STUPID BOXES TO CONNECT TO THEM IN THE MOST INACCESSIBLE PLACES MEEDS TO DIE IN A FIRE!

Yeah, that’s an interesting design, isn’t it?    The replacement kits come it two flavors:  Those that retain the factory hard lines, and those that don’t.   I’m pretty sure @dazzler24 could share some colorfully-worded opinion of his experience with a set that reuses the hard lines.  

I have the Galfer 5-line set on my FJ, and just cut the hard lines out & threw them in the trash.  Much simpler process that way… 

Glad you’re (almost) done with the upgrade.  

Yeah, I didn't realize there where different sets.  The set I got was good, high quality parts and a good price, but knowing what I know now, I'd happily have paid another $100 to get a 5 line set.

Ah well.  What's done is done.  

• Thumbsup 1

Funny story.  I actually took pictures before, double checked when reinstalling, but still managed to reverse the brake lines for the rear brake where they attach to the hard lines that lead to the ABS pump.  Likely due to how incredibly fiddly it was to get the blocks and bracket together in that small obscured space.

Now, I'm always pretty careful with test rides, and that proved valuable today.  I've got a dirt laneway behind my house, so that provided a really easy way to test the brakes and ABS. First, get moving, do normal brake tests - they work fine.  All is good.  Go faster, grab the front and lock it.  ABS kicks in immediately as it should, no problems in the gravel.  Try again with the rear....

Turns out, if you plumb ABS backwards, it works backwards.  That is, as the tire slips it pulses pressure onto the brake, instead of back to the pedal - the instant the wheel starts to slip the ABS itself slams the brake on and doesn't release it till the wheel stops slipping.... Which it won't until the bike comes to a complete stop because it's holding the brake on.  Tap the rear and it's cool brake slide time.

Glad I didn't do that with the front, and I'm VERY glad I tested the ABS as well as basic brake function before going for a ride.  Imagine braking into a corner at speed, having the rear ABS trigger a teensie bit and instantly hard lock the rear.  

A reasonably easy fix and everything is good now, but yeah. Pro tip:  Don't plumb your ABS pump backwards.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Supporting Member

Note to self:  Do not let @Wintersdark work on my brakes… 😀

That’s quite a story about the reversed polarity brake lines.  I had never thought about it, but I guess the behavior does make sense.   That’s some Final Destination style mechanical mayhem going on; glad it all worked out ok for you!  

• Haha 3

• Supporting Member
On 5/12/2023 at 6:53 AM, texscottyd said:

Yeah, that’s an interesting design, isn’t it?    The replacement kits come it two flavors:  Those that retain the factory hard lines, and those that don’t.   I’m pretty sure @dazzler24 could share some colorfully-worded opinion of his experience with a set that reuses the hard lines.  

I have the Galfer 5-line set on my FJ, and just cut the hard lines out & threw them in the trash.  Much simpler process that way… 

Glad you’re (almost) done with the upgrade.  

Ah yes!  "Nightmare on Elm Street" comes to mind recalling my experience with this scenario!  I may have even invented some extra-colourful words during that exercise!

Interesting read on @Wintersdark experience of reverse plumbing!! That would have definitely been a 'new pair of undies day' immediately after the testing terror.

Imagine if it had been the front that was reversed!.......

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

• Thumbsup 2

8 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Ah yes!  "Nightmare on Elm Street" comes to mind recalling my experience with this scenario!  I may have even invented some extra-colourful words during that exercise!

Interesting read on @Wintersdark experience of reverse plumbing!! That would have definitely been a 'new pair of undies day' immediately after the testing terror.

Imagine if it had been the front that was reversed!.......

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

It's honestly the first time I've been legitimately angry with Yamaha working on the bike.  It's just such a stupid design.  Like, yeah, the plugs are a bit of a PITA to get at, but it's not too bad once you learn to just unbolt the rad, and while there's a moderate number of fairings to remove to get under the tank it's surprising fast and easy to do so.

But those hardlines... And more specifically, the absolutely horrible little block contraptions that are all tucked into very inaccessible places.  I'll definitely go out of my way to recommend people get kits that just remove the hard lines entirely.  Even if they're a lot more expensive, it's worth it to just rip all that crap out.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

It's honestly the first time I've been legitimately angry with Yamaha working on the bike.  It's just such a stupid design.  Like, yeah, the plugs are a bit of a PITA to get at, but it's not too bad once you learn to just unbolt the rad, and while there's a moderate number of fairings to remove to get under the tank it's surprising fast and easy to do so.

But those hardlines... And more specifically, the absolutely horrible little block contraptions that are all tucked into very inaccessible places.  I'll definitely go out of my way to recommend people get kits that just remove the hard lines entirely.  Even if they're a lot more expensive, it's worth it to just rip all that crap out.

Seconded!

17 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

They aren't that much more expensive.

Always have eliminated extra plumbing.  It's the KISS principle.

You've just perpetuated the nightmare. 

Yup.  If I change them again for some reason in the future I will, but I didn't have much choice.  I wasn't interested in trying to return them to Italy, and didn't realize just how terrible the process would be until it was too late to return stuff.  

One of those "if I could go back in time" things.  Sadly, I had no idea what awaited me.