What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

We rescued a snapping turtle from near certain death today. This thing was no Franklin. It was nasty and ungrateful. I risked his (her/their 🤔) life to take this shot 😁... but it worked out, and I was a wildlife rescue hero with the family. Darwin's gonna fix this one day.

20230414_165649.thumb.jpg.4092d02a27530c519fa4469fcbc7c202.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, piotrek said:

We rescued a snapping turtle from near certain death today. This thing was no Franklin. It was nasty and ungrateful.

I did a similiar deed many years ago when I didn't know what a snapping turtle was. I picked it up from behind and it's head came around and snapped within 1mm of my thumb. Scared the life out of me, and I think it took a few days before I could wash its stink from my hands.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, betoney said:

Is that your first time getting to the ECU/airbox?  First time is a real bitch but once you know the drill its simple thereafter and can be done in a few minutes.  Kudos to whoever designs modern bikes though, everything fits together perfectly like a puzzle.

That's a very scary situation with the missing nut and loose linkage, had the bolt backed out while riding... 😳  Glad you are ok.

Not the first time taking off some body panels, but first time getting to the airbox. I had waited until 26k service to have dealer perform major service. They showed me the air filter. Looked pretty rough. I'll swap out more frequently.

It's embarrassing, but I assembled it that way. Stupid. Luckily I hadn't rode it much. Swingarm got serviced so not all was bad. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Not the first time taking off some body panels, but first time getting to the airbox. I had waited until 26k service to have dealer perform major service. They showed me the air filter. Looked pretty rough. I'll swap out more frequently.

I highly recommend to not go by the manual for the air filter schedule for servicing, that is WAY too long to ride with a dirty filter.

I put reusable filters in all of my vehicles (I'm not trying to start a debate- use what you are comfortable with) and the bikes get cleaned and re-oiled about every 5k miles and they are always dirty and filled with insects.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

300 miles today, the longest ride for Warchild-wife since her spine surgery last Sept:

Apr15Departure.thumb.jpg.c52b029629f67ee643acaa8449567798.jpg

GT14,  the Lower Granite Dam:

GT14_LowerGraniteDam2.thumb.jpg.9de121c1c8b3027d9627bdbb74699fbb.jpg

Big splashing dam...

GT14_LowerGraniteDamWater.thumb.jpg.cd619930f7c480b3c7554e380487cc4c.jpg

Chicken Bill's Cafe & BBQ, Dayton, WA

chikenBillsPPS.thumb.jpg.97856a4a2bb7f12f11e034b8d14334f1.jpg

Tour of Honor, 9/11 Memorial, "North Tower Steel Beams", Kennewick, WA

Kennewick911-0072.jpg

Relive video of the ride:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vxOQ4zNzN2v

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Born to ride

Work to afford to

*Ride to eat!

People after my own heart!

*I’ve been sampling and rating frozen custard dispensaries for over 3 decades now.

My associated incrementally increasing girth has made my gear closet crowded.  I have saved most of my uh, undersized, pants and jackets in the hope I may sooner if not later some day fit back in to them.

The most expensive suits, like my divine Aerostitch Transit 2 and classic 30+ year old Fieldsheer racing weight suits (both solid and perforated) provide massive motivation to restore my physique to closer to its appropriate if not decades former glory.

My Covid-19 pounds in conjunction with the last few structural and waste plumbing repairs in conjunction with history seemingly accelerating exponentially before my eyes have made it that much more challenging!

But I’m up for it!!!

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/15/2023 at 7:01 PM, Warchild said:

300 miles today, the longest ride for Warchild-wife since her spine surgery last Sept

Congrats on her ride! Love the photo tour, thanks for sharing!

I saw a red Tracer this weekend coming down from Goldendale hill on Saturday, so it wasn't you two! Anyone from WA or OR that was riding this weekend in that area? They had the side cases and top case from what blurred down the hill 🙃

On 4/13/2023 at 9:12 PM, Warchild said:

My chi may not be balanced, but the crossplane triple is...  🔥

Balance.jpg

How do you like your NIX 30's?  

I installed a set over the winter along with their compression and rebound adjustable, remote preload, rear shock.  I'm not that impressed yet but only have 30 miles on it, messing with the adjustments.  I'm getting more snow and rain today.  Another month and I'll likely get some riding in to figure it all out. 

2 hours ago, Ride On said:

How do you like your NIX 30's?  

I installed a set over the winter along with their compression and rebound adjustable, remote preload, rear shock.  I'm not that impressed yet but only have 30 miles on it, messing with the adjustments.  I'm getting more snow and rain today.  Another month and I'll likely get some riding in to figure it all out. 

They have been extremely nice. They should be for their price. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, so I splurged on this purchase. It is just as likely that a good suspension guy can do something very similar with Race Tech components, etc. Still, I am still glad I got them. These Ohlins cartridges, and the Ohlins shock are both up for overhaul after this riding season: 

SideGold.jpg.thumb.jpg.ac5645aa6a3e6752a30c1a9b839fde11.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I should refresh my forks and Razor-R this coming winter too!

Don't want to think about it, weather has been INSANE!

One day it's 80 and it seems the next tornadoes and hail, then snow!

Been out only 3 times for less than 250 miles total 😤

Edit, got out the earlish PM of the 21st for 180 miles, never got above much over 50F (10C for you reverse metric challenged) but it was clean and dry enough where sane throttle manual traction control never let the digital TCS kick -in.

In other words I took it the only way I can right now, easy. 

But I immensely enjoyed myself and as the sun played on the day and I timed traffic out and  homebound as good as it gets. 

I wound it out and maxd fuel efficiency right where the tourer was mighty close to perfect in the maximum safe road speeds above posted. 

That is with my 15/43? Secondary 

Tires are definitely done.

So I stopped where it was decent and had gas and stuff and after a drag, closely checked the rear.  The front isn't worn near as much but it's funky.

I think steel belted rears give up faster in the last 500 miles and suddenly you see them shining in the sun!

Still I can't complain because we have over eight thousand on the rear and more a bit on the front. These are my 2nd set of T32 Bridgestones

I have another set ready to go on only because they're the oldest it may be going on three years

But I have a set of road 5. I just got and I'm thinking f*** it. I'm gonna throw those on.

Now I've heard all the comparisons between the 5 & 6

But for USD 255 TMD nincl tx, what was a boy to do but add to his inventory wisely.  I think  I have now 1set each of T32, RD5* and RS3**.  The Miches were the most expensive, which until this deal was why I hadn't tasted French rubber.

However, really 255 was a friggin 20230421_165830.thumb.jpg.92db73372d5d254e85e43ebe4b4a8cf0.jpgdeal for any brand "in this economy ".

*Road 5

**Roadsmart 3; and a Pilot 3 front for my VTR.  It's wonderful how nice bikes all have the same sizes.

5 hours ago, Warchild said:

They have been extremely nice. They should be for their price. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, so I splurged on this purchase. It is just as likely that a good suspension guy can do something very similar with Race Tech components, etc. Still, I am still glad I got them. These Ohlins cartridges, and the Ohlins shock are both up for overhaul after this riding season: 

SideGold.jpg.thumb.jpg.ac5645aa6a3e6752a30c1a9b839fde11.jpg

Thanks, I'm thinking the same here.  A great bike that I'm intending to put a lot more miles on, so I sort of justified the expense based on that.  I'm hoping to get good results as soon as the weather improves. 

• Thumbsup 1