What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Took her on a lovely 320km ride through the Kananaskis with a couple friends.  Was a bit chilly up in the mountains still:

20230423_1506152.thumb.jpg.ad3c7bc5cbc5d2fe1ff4d64ce92a331a.jpg20230423_1507162.thumb.jpg.144c4530a095faca383d064e7ba273b9.jpg

Great ride overall.  Nice to get a chance to get her into the side of the tire and have fun with friends - being a winter rider is lonely for half the year!

Edit: Amusingly, this is a boat launch.  It and the lake are still well frozen.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Like 3

Got to ride to work today. This spring has not been motorcycle friendly for us. I think we've maybe had 7-10 days thus far above 45 degrees and not raining. Just miserable. Going to be raining all weekend coming up too.

PXL_20230502_184934269.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Installed the Black Widow Exhaust and had the ECU flashed by 2wheel. Service from both companies was great. Pipe looks and sounds great!

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Installed the Black Widow Exhaust and had the ECU flashed by 2wheel. Service from both companies was great. Pipe looks and sounds great!

Sounds and looks good IMHO.  Is that with baffle out?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Sounds and looks good IMHO.  Is that with baffle out?

Baffle in. When I first fired it up It got my attention. I ride with earplugs. A little louder at normal speed, but accelerating hard it sounds glorious. I think Black Widow sells one with a smaller and larger can. Mine is in the middle. 

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Baffle in. When I first fired it up It got my attention. I ride with earplugs. A little louder at normal speed, but accelerating hard it sounds glorious. I think Black Widow sells one with a smaller and larger can. Mine is in the middle. 

They've got 200mm, 230mm, 300mm, 350mm, and 400mm cans.  I ran a 230 on my old MT07, and it was loud, but bearable with the baffle in.  Physically painful while riding with it out. 

I'm going to be getting a system fairly soon, though it keeps getting pushed back in favor of other things as an exhaust isn't really necessary for anything.  I'm heavily torn between the 300 because I love the Tri-Oval can with carbon fiber tip (what you've got there), and a longer can simply because I remember just how loud the 230mm was.  

They say the 400 is roughly akin to stock in volume but deeper and obviously less restrictive.  

So for me, it's a three way battle:

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system-400mm-oval-black-stainless-carbon-tip-silencer-14875-p.asp 

- Definitely not a volume problem here as it is as stock; but at the same time the least fun looking. 

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system-350mm-gp-round-carbon-silencer-14867-p.asp

- Middle of the road, fun carbon fiber and tip.  However, probably comparable overall volume to the tri-oval below

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system--300mm-tri-oval-black-carbon-tip-silencer-20897-p.asp

- Sexiest looking, but maybe louder than I'd like.  I'd leave the baffle in for sure; and it'd be quieter than my 230mm was due to a larger cross section and length, but... 

I dunno.  Can't decide :)

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

They've got 200mm, 230mm, 300mm, 350mm, and 400mm cans.  I ran a 230 on my old MT07, and it was loud, but bearable with the baffle in.  Physically painful while riding with it out. 

I'm going to be getting a system fairly soon, though it keeps getting pushed back in favor of other things as an exhaust isn't really necessary for anything.  I'm heavily torn between the 300 because I love the Tri-Oval can with carbon fiber tip (what you've got there), and a longer can simply because I remember just how loud the 230mm was.  

They say the 400 is roughly akin to stock in volume but deeper and obviously less restrictive.  

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system-400mm-oval-black-stainless-carbon-tip-silencer-14875-p.asp 

- Definitely not a volume problem here as it is as stock; but at the same time the least fun looking. 

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system-350mm-gp-round-carbon-silencer-14867-p.asp

- Middle of the road, fun carbon fiber and tip.  However, probably comparable overall volume to the tri-oval below

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/mt09-mt-09-tracer-tracer-gt-de-cat-exhaust-system--300mm-tri-oval-black-carbon-tip-silencer-20897-p.asp

- Sexiest looking, but maybe louder than I'd like.  I'd leave the baffle in for sure; and it'd be quieter than my 230mm was due to a larger cross section and length, but... 

Easy decision for me as far as looks. That was the main reason. Can't believe I left that boat anchor on there for so long. The sound is a bonus. When going highway speeds I can't hear it. Same as stock. 

I've already upgraded the suspension so why not. Gonna order a carbon fiber chain guard and rear fender. The plastic has faded and looks bad. Maybe do the clutch this winter to get rid of the gronk. Always something. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

FWIW - I went for an Arrow X-Kone system some time ago - It looks a lot like the Black Widow mentioned here. (probably why I like the look of the B.W.)

The can of the X-Kone is 300mm in length and I wouldn't want it any louder than what it pumps out and that's with the baffle in.

As always YMMV.

Just for fun - here is a you tube of the X-Kone can with and without the db killer compared to the stock sound.  Not me, just an example.

image.thumb.png.6848578abc7596542b7c6146cd0c1358.png

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

As always YMMV.

My garage is like Goldilocks and the Three Exhaust Systems:   The FJ is too quiet (factory Yamaha), the XR is too loud (gorgeous but semi-offensive Termignoni), and the Speed Twin is just right (British Customs reverse megaphones with the factory catalyst still in the head pipes)  

I seem to the one of the last holdouts with stock exhaust on a Gen-1 FJ… 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Installed auxiliary lights (minimalistic this time) and took her for a spin.

36B9FA96-7E3B-4B83-8CE5-0C311987A09F.jpeg

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/23/2023 at 8:02 AM, Sandeep said:

Denali D4’s were added finally 

6BD68E57-7E61-4198-9A82-B0A6041EF39B.jpeg

Nice setup, and serious lighting.  I’m intrigued by the mix of white and amber lenses… what is the intent of that combination?   Apologies if it’s a dumb question, but I very rarely ride at night anymore, and haven’t added any auxiliary lighting to my own bikes.