What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

9 hours ago, kilo3 said:

How do you like that seat cover?

I've only put a couple hundred miles on it so far.  Definitely better airflow but it seems "slippery".  The airflow is welcomed and I'm not sure about the slippery.  Makes it easier to get on and off the bike, no doubt. 

Bought it off aliexpress.  Like $25 and it's the proper fit for the 2019-2020 Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Premium Member

TLDR - I found the oil leak, and a dealership created quite a few problems rushing reassembly of the FJ after a valve service. 

Long story - The Memphis BMW Yamaha dealer did so many things wrong when they reassembled my bike after the 2nd valve service. Unfortunately it was all under plastic so I didn't find the 1st problem for about a month - long enough to not go back to them. They cracked plastics, bent and pulled wires, crimped breather hoses and routed them wrong. I thought I had found all of the problems.

Starting about a month ago, I saw what I thought was chain lube all over the kickstand switch and heel plate area. I thought I had been a little overeager on lube combined with rain and road spray to spread it. 2 weeks a ago I saw a single drop of oil under the bike. Wiped it up and checked 24 hours later - no oil. Then the moto sits for 1.5 weeks while we were out of town and I find 3 or 4 drops of oil under the bike and more oil all over the kill switch. 

From the forum I thought it was the countershaft seal so I pulled the plastics and dropped the skidplate - and the left rear screw of the oil pan came out with it. It looks like that screw was barely hand tight and slowly seeping oil. 😠

I thought I had found all of the problems but obviously not. So now I'll pull the plastics and go through as many cables, wires, hoses, and plastic parts that I can reach to see what else is messed up. 

I enjoy riding. I don't take any pleasure in wrenching. I do it because it's necessary to ride. So for more major jobs that require some practice to get right, I am willing to pay to outsource the work. It is very disappointing that a dealer could f*** up simple assembly in so many ways. 

• Sad 3

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

It is very disappointing that a dealer could f*** up simple assembly in so many ways. 

That sucks. It's so frustrating to spend good money for bad service.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

That sucks. It's so frustrating to spend good money for bad service.

As far as I can tell, the harder stuff like the valve adjust seems to have been done right. They were a week late returning the bike to me even when I scheduled the work so I think they rushed the reassembly. 

• Premium Member

Besides being frugal I live by the the motto "If you want something done right the first time, always do it yourself! "

Plus, besides the exorbitant cost and need to ride it there, get a lift home, a lift back to pick it up, there is the very real worry that they'll screw up the job.

Not to add to your angst but I'm sure you considered that if they phucked up the easy stuff, what did they do with rhe valve lash job itself?!

My nearest stealership is over 33 miles away each way. The only time they've touched my 15 since I bought as a leftover in 16 was for the bar riser recall and ACCT TSB.  I asked if they'd give me the new parts and I'd do it myself and return the defective parts if necessary.  They said nyet to that.

Then I found that they had not tightened the nuts on the new recall handlebar risers properly or oriented them correctly

And worse yet the stock CCT V2 failed as weel shortly thereafter, and I purchased and installed a APE MCCT as I was going to in the first place 

That's the last time I've been to the dealer and the only reasons I had to go.

And how do you know they did develop properly?

On 6/6/2023 at 11:38 AM, kilo3 said:

How do you like that seat cover?

Update on the seat cover ... I rode 4-1/2 hours today with one fuel stop and one quick purchase.  The seat cover was great.  Before the cover, I'd start to get uncomfortable with swamp-ass after an hour or so.  Never felt it at all today.  The long period in the saddle revealed that my creaky, old knees are the weak spot now. 😪

20230607_230709.thumb.jpg.b92a5271ab078bcc21d2b02a4fa25511.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

New chain and sprockets today..

Bike was purchased a year ago with 14,xxx miles on it and it just hit 23k. I probably should have replaced them around 6k ago but I was lazy and figured I'd go until the axle was out of adjustment. Nope, the old one finally hit a point of no return on Monday and now it feels like a new bike just from hthe drivetrain

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 6/7/2023 at 10:16 PM, Heavy said:

Update on the seat cover ... I rode 4-1/2 hours today with one fuel stop and one quick purchase.  The seat cover was great.  Before the cover, I'd start to get uncomfortable with swamp-ass after an hour or so.  Never felt it at all today.  The long period in the saddle revealed that my creaky, old knees are the weak spot now. 😪

20230607_230709.thumb.jpg.b92a5271ab078bcc21d2b02a4fa25511.jpg

I know you said you got it on Alibabba but from whom or what exactly is it called?

I'm sure it's  a knockoff of this company's cover; which I've considered to go over my custom Sargent on wet and very humid days.

https://windriderseatcovers.com/

They've changed the description to list it for the T9 now, but this is the one I ordered, by the product number.  You can see from my picture that it fits my 2020 perfectly.  Mine came with the passenger cover too but I have no need for it.20230607_230709.thumb.jpg.b92a5271ab078b

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005445144967.html?search_direct=true&spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0

• Supporting Member

This morning I got my bike loaded for the upcoming first road trip of the season.  This was supposed to be my second trip to start the season but Northern California weather wasn't cooperating around Memorial Day, nothing but thunderstorms forecast in upper elevations so I postponed that trip until after the 4th of July instead.

This trip, my brother and I will ride the North Cascades highway across Washington (it parallels the Canadian border) through Idaho into Montana and then ride Lolo Pass back through Idaho, into Oregon to Hells Canyon.  We will meet up with a high school buddy who also rides and spend a day in central Oregon meandering up to the Columbia River Gorge for a night and then finally back home.

There is crazy weather everywhere lately, we have already seen 90's this spring and now the holiday weekend is forecast for 50's and rain... I'm hoping it improves by the time we leave next week.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I'm jealous big time!!!

Haven't ridden since coming back from road america for the races

Works been keeping me around the ranch

This weekend finally looks decent so today I played hookie and rode up to the Holy Hill area near Hubertus WI

BBQ at Sloppy Joe's 

Mmmm

20230616_163308.jpg

20230616_162015.jpg

20230616_163311.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm jealous big time!!!

Works been keeping me around the ranch

This weekend finally looks decent so today I played hookie and rode up to the Holy Hill area near Hubertus WI

BBQ at Sloppy Joe's 

Mmmm

That BBQ looks great.  I took a ride south yesterday morning and got a late breakfast.  Hard to beat biscuits and gravy with Tabasco, topped with runny eggs. 

image.thumb.png.80d6a38e7d37d49c1b3398a0159a43e4.png

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm jealous big time!!!

This time of year I usually shift into road trip mode, we have shorter riding seasons than other regions so I try to pack in as much as I can while the weather holds. 

July and August are 2 different trips to California, July to the Sierra Passes/Lake Tahoe area and then August to the Happy Camp/Willow Creek area and ride the California/Oregon/Washington Coast North on HWY101.  

I had originally planned a 9 day Utah/Colorado trip in July but moved that one to next summer.