What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

9 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Oh wow, that looks great!  Mine is also in serious need of a cleaning… you’ve given me hope that it really can look good again.  

Put in some effort and you will shine as well.😁

9 hours ago, betoney said:

I have used nothing but Superlite sprockets on my bikes and they wear like iron, once the chain is toast you will have to look very closely to notice any wear, you can easily use 2 chains per sprocket set, some will obviously disagree with that way of thinking though.

+1.  I'm on my second chain now (installed with a front sprocket at 11,000 miles) with the original rear sprocket.  28,000+ miles now and the original rear sprocket still looks great (along with the second front sprocket).  A Scott-Oiler X has been keeping things lubed and essentially maintaince free.

I learned on dirt bikes years ago that once your chain stretches out, it no longer pulls evenly on the teeth; it then causes very rapid wear on the sprockets.  Toss the chain before it wears out and save the sprockets.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, RonZuidhoek said:

I (finally) did my exhaust cleaning. It was looking horrible. I took off the complete (stock) exhaust so i could clean it well.

Great job indeed. I think my exhaust will be coming out next winter for something like this (you set the bar way high), and to get the flanges and studs cleaned up. I will likely replace the nuts. Starting to look nasty in there.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

I have used nothing but Superlite sprockets on my bikes and they wear like iron, once the chain is toast you will have to look very closely to notice any wear, you can easily use 2 chains per sprocket set, some will obviously disagree with that way of thinking though.

When I cleaned everything thoroughly and installed my new whorey, fastest red EK super-duty chain (because I've been running 520 for the last 3 chains) I did not change the Superlite sprockets and felt guilty about it. They did exhibit some wear, if nominal, so I thought it was reasonable to replace them in conjunction with a new rear doughnut which I thought would be required in a thousand miles.  Well surprisingly the old T32 finished out last season with another 2,500 or more miles (need to check my records) before getting fully down to the wear bars.

So thanks Brian for alleviating some of my guilt.  I have fresh T32*s to go on (though the current front as usual looks like it could go another 3k+ but would need to order sprockets if I cave to my guilt.  I have some time to do so as we easily still can get snow, though I may go for my first albeit short ride of the season this afternoon after the MotoGP race as is supposed to get up to 50 and dry out.  Next Tuesday they're taking +60 but more rain. Need to decide after another careful examination of the sprockets but after maybe as many as 4,500 miles on the new chain, should I bother as the damage is done?

*Or choose instead my new fresh Road 5s or next freshest Dunlop Roadsmart 3s?

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, RonZuidhoek said:

I (finally) did my exhaust cleaning.... used some acid-based cream, made for cleaning RVS-steal.

Awesome. Better than new!

You sent me on a research project, because the term "RVS" is not common in USA... and I see you are from Netherlands.   RVS stands for "Roestvrij staal" (stainless steel)

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Changed out the OEM "scooter" horn for something that gets their attention!

Fiamm #72112 Freeway Blaster low note horn from Amazon, for less than $9, its A LOT LOUDER!

• Thanks 1

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

You sent me on a research project, because the term "RVS" is not common in USA... and I see you are from Netherlands.   RVS stands for "Roestvrij staal" (stainless steel)

Stainless steel is what i meant. Could not find the correct word for it. Now i remember again, thanks.

Edited by RonZuidhoek

Also installed some Puig fairing extensions and the new Puig windscreen deflector 2.0.  Too damn cold today to test them though (37 degrees!).

IMG_9343 2.JPG

IMG_9342.JPG

Edited by Dave Clark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, Dave Clark said:

Also installed some Puig fairing extensions and the new Puig windscreen deflector 2.0.  Too damn cold today to test them though (37 degrees!).

IMG_9343 2.JPG

IMG_9342.JPG

When I first got my FJ I had an interest in the Puig fairing extensions but due to their price there was never any feedback here on whether they made a difference in wind flow.  I'd be curious to hear your experience once the weather warms up.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 3/31/2023 at 9:36 AM, Warchild said:

T
I've been working on transforming this new platform since the last week in November. It is essentially an upright-sitting YZF-R1.  The MPG on this bike is brutal, like 30-31 mpg after the ECU is flashed. Tiny-ass R1 racebike tank is 4.5 gallons, so the Low Fuel light comes on after only 95 miles.  😖   Had the ECU un-flashed, dropped two teeth in the rear, dumped the *enormously* heavy stock exhaust for a featherweight Yoshimura Alpha T 3/4 system, and now I am seeing a solid 35+ MPG. The bike is almost ready for Desert Running, except for aux driving lamps.

I think this may be the only Yamaha MT10 on the planet that can carry 8.3 gallons of fuel: 

march17-a.thumb.jpg.ed383ca2ef18546e8204d6cf54ce2df0.jpg

This... I don't know what to feel about this.  On one hand, I totally get it, and it's super well executed and all.  On the other, it seems deeply wrong on some level :)  But I guess it's not like you can just buy a bigger tank, and the stock range on these is embarrassingly bad, so much so that despite there being factory hardbags, a trip of any distance would be incredibly irritating stopping for gas even 20 minutes.  But I'm going to bet that you're right, and that you're the only person on the planet with an MT10 with a 8.3 gallon tank!

On 3/31/2023 at 10:13 AM, betoney said:

Interestingly, I find Yamaha's onboard computer to be very optimistic, I ran a full tank of fuel yesterday and the dash said 46.8mpg average but real world calculations were an even 42mpg, my fuel light was flashing at 165 miles, whereas my Honda VFR is dead-nuts accurate, the computer reads 40mpg and my calculations also read 40mpg.  Same with the speedometer, when comparing to my GPS, the Yamaha has always been 2 mph difference while the Honda is right on. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mine is exactly the same.  It assumes I'm travelling faster than I am, and then calculates my fuel economy too optimistically. I just use the display to judge how I'm riding or if anything has changed, rather than as a specific guide.

22 hours ago, betoney said:

Strong agree.  You recommended these when my Tracer was new, and I've now been through three sets of Superlite sprockets from Sprocket Center over two bikes and yeah.  They're amazing.  Miles beyond stock sprockets, and very reasonably priced. 

15 hours ago, RonZuidhoek said:

I (finally) did my exhaust cleaning. It was looking horrible. I took off the complete (stock) exhaust so i could clean it well. I used some acid-based cream, specialy made for cleaning RVS-steal. It took me 2 days, but i am very happy with the results.

Before:

IMG_20230101_182236.thumb.jpg.0284c4fbd063040216162751d491537a.jpg

After:

IMG_20230326_161416.thumb.jpg.253bde50003528faf128a4e4d8e93e77.jpg

14 hours ago, RonZuidhoek said:

Put in some effort and you will shine as well.😁

1) Oh, my god, that's amazing.  That looks better than mine did brand new, by a large margin.

2) That's WAY more effort than I'm gonna put into it.  New headers, here I come!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Me too

Not worth it when they're just gonna go mottley bronze again.

The patina promotes better cooling than a mirror finish.  Something about not allowing a boundary layer of air to stagnate.

Kinda like the dimples on a golf ball.