What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

today I finally got to get the motorcycle outta the garage...Its been 1 month since I fractured my knee cap(closed non-displaced latitude fracture of patella) while riding the FZ-07... felt soooo good just to ride again even just for an hr when its only 40°F out ?...

yea its pretty freaking crazy only 2wks ago I was walking somewhat again without a brace, even my little brother who works in orthopedics is baffled ?.. now the long term fun starts, rebuilding my knee strength back up which takes years... been there done that years ago on my other knee...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Thank you for the dimensions. Not sure what you mean about the 3P mounts. Won't these cases simply latch onto my existing mounts?
The metal parts of the 3P mounts stay the same. But, if you look at the right hand side mount for example, at the leftmost upper is a plastic end piece. These have to be changed when you swap between the SH36 and SH23. They are simply an end stop on SH36, but the SH23 actually latch into this part to stop them being removed. I’ll grab some photos tomorrow, but it’s too dark for now outside.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

...Got me a set of Shad SH23 bags....
Could you take a measurement from the 3P bracket (outside edge of pipe) to furthest point out on the case? These could make great commuter cases. Even with my SH48 and a tail bag, things are often pretty tight and I run out of space on occasion.
I measured it at roughly 7 3/4 inches (19.685 centimeters).  My handlebars stick out a little further than the cases.  I have pro taper adventure bars but I laid the stock handle bar on the back seat and the cases were only a few inches wider.  This was without the hand guards of course so, when you add those even the stock bars would be slightly wider than the cases.

• Supporting Member
Replaced the brake lines with braided ones, new chain, and front /rear sprockets. The new drive chain feels awesome but the brakes don’t feel as amazing as I thought they would.
What mileage are you at for new chain and sprockets?  I'm at 16,000 miles in her first year and while the rear sprocket doesn't appear to have any hooking on any teeth, I haven't pulled the cover to check the front yet.  Common sense tells me that the next few months of winter down time would be the perfect time for a replacement. 
I have read on here that replacing the brake lines is a complete pain in the @$$.  Did you stay with stock pads or go to something more aggressive like an HH pad?  For improved lever feel, I upgraded to an R1 master cylinder, not a Chinese knock-off, an actual parted out R1 on Ebay.  1 or 2 finger braking, always!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

What mileage are you at for new chain and sprockets?  I'm at 16,000 miles in her first year and while the rear sprocket doesn't appear to have any hooking on any teeth, I haven't pulled the cover to check the front yet.  Common sense tells me that the next few months of winter down time would be the perfect time for a replacement.
I'm about to take some heat for this BUT.... 
I went 45k on my Daytona 675 before replacing the OEM sprockets. Only reason I had to replace was a chain lost a roller and the steel shaft dug into the sprockets destroying them. Replaced them with a pair of OEM sprockets that had 20k miles on them and I put another 20k on them before I sold her. Keep on up on the chain maintenance and the sprockets will last a long time.

If your rear is fine the front is almost always fine too. 

'15 FJ09

I had just under 16k miles when I changed the sprockets and chain. the sprockets actually looked alright, I was just told from multiple people that if I change the chain then change the sprockets at the same time. I was on a high mileage road trip and the day before I left, to go home, we noticed the chain was extremely loose. we ran out and got it tightened at a shop and he suggested that I change out everything. the next day when I got home, after about 4-500 miles, the chain was just as loose. I actually just got done going through the lines to make sure there was nothing weird and bled the brakes again, the feel in the controls feels better but I have not ridden it yet. I really do need to change the pads, but they are the factory ones right now. I will probably change them out soon.

• Premium Member
I had the 8,000 mile service done. The nice thing is the small amount of handlebar shake I'd get when engine braking under 40 mph if I took my hands off the bars is gone. I complained about it at the 4k mile service and they said it was likely the front tire.

For the 8k mile service, they did check and re-torque the head/neck bearings and assembly. They also did a chain adjustment and alignment. It's running as smooth as ever! I'm still running on the same stock front tire.

Got another new set of Pirelli Angel GT's fitted today. 

I love the Angel GT's and have worn through several sets but they have gone up in price very recently.  I bought a set in September for $278, 6 weeks later the same online retailer has them for $309.  Several other online retailers were similar, I will wait for Pirelli's Spring rebate to stock up. 
Since I wont ride too much over the winter I decided to try the Brigestone Battlax S21's @ just over $200 a set.

Here is Australia, the best local [rice I can get is $449 AUD fitted and balanced....including disposal of the old ones. 
The guys do a good job and always compliment me on the way I look after the bike.

They also did the bar-riser recall. 

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

took the bike in to have the handlebar risers replaced due to recall and had the front sprocket oil seal replaced under warranty... total cost was ZERO DOLLARS ?... in all seriousness the front sprocket oil seal job was approx $65 total with the oil seal at approx $9... the dealership even gave the bike a bath since they loved my exhaust choice ?...

• Supporting Member
Two seasons in on my 2015 machine (23,000 km)... replaced engine coolant. Total system capacity is specified to be just about 2.2L (including reservoir), but just a bit over 1.8L of old fluid accounted for. Level was FULL before the procedure, and after... so just under .4L of residual fluid remained. Old fluid looked nice and clean, and there was no residue/gunk in the reservoir. Good to see the system is healthy. Filled with Yamacool.
Mine is a '15 as well, I bought it as a left over less than a year ago. I assume that even though one year of its life was spent sitting in a crate, the coolant is still 2 years old and needs to be flushed regardless of mileage. (16k)

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Had a lovely conversation with the bike today, we went window shopping for some suspension(via smartphone)... hmmm may have found the winner but need to think it over and send out a few emails... I need the new rear shock to hold when using LaunchControl...

[b style=font-style:italic]INSTALLED SOME WHEEL-RIM DECALS...[/b]

My home garage has always been a bling-free zone, but I have relented and recently added some wheel-rim decals to my Tracer, just to give some visual ‘lift’ to those dark parts of the bike, as I have done with past BMWs.   They are easy to apply - fiddly if you want to get it right rather than difficult - and from past experience very durable.   An application guide is included – just break the habit of a lifetime and follow the instructions.

To add a bit of practicality, I placed a decal on the side of each wheel-rim opposite the tyre valve so as to make it easier to find quickly.   The yellow lines on the tyres are simply chalk marks that I put there to ensure even spacing.

Eight (8) curved decals – two for each side of each wheel – cost me AUD$17, post-free, and they arrived within fourteen (14) days of ordering from Scotland.

The vendor makes a huge range of decals that are often model-specific for most bike brands, but the generic ‘Yamaha’ will do for me as ‘Tracer’ or ‘MT-09’ doesn’t seem to be available. Maybe a ‘GT’ version will follow…

The gold colour – one of many available – chimes nicely with some discreet gold pinstripe tape I’ve placed on the bike and pannier lids and the solid gold 24 carat front fork.   E Bay item number is 132055727959.

P1040152.jpg

P1040153.jpg

P1040154.jpg

P1040155.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
@wordsmith - I don’t typically go for that kind of thing, but gotta admit I really like the rim decals in this case. I have a spare set of wheels, so may look into doing something similar with a pair.