What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

I think it is a cool device.  I had something similar on my BMW F800GT that was connected to the CanBus and could use that for inputs.  For example I used a CanBus derived brake signal to turn on my aux brake light with 4 flashes then solid.  It was a bit speedy as well but did what I needed.  Unfortunately they do not make one for Yamaha - only BMW and HD last I looked - WOW what a diverse customer group!  It was called a Hex EZCan.  I have a electrical engineering degree and understand relays and switches - even used to design some stuff like that decades ago but love the functionality available in a device like the Neutrino Element.  A lot could be done with a controller like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi or similar but the outputs and fusing and PWM add complexity and the Neutrino has it built in.  

For sure.   I've actually got a half-completed project Arduino setup in a drawer I was experimenting with for wiring on my old XJ750.  From a design standpoint it's really simple, but it's the making part that's a problem for me.  I got it very functional, but it ended up pretty big and had way too many failure points with weather and vibration.  All solvable, but... Decided a fuse block and a couple relays where less work.

The Element is dumb expensive for what it does, but... There's really something to be said for the size, cleanness and feature set.  Dunno when I'll have the spare cash for something that I definitely don't need at all (my existing fuse box and such do work just fine) but I really, really want one :)

I mean, it even shows the current amperage drawn on a circuit in the app.  What a dream that would be for troubleshooting electrical gremlins before they become real problems.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

For example I used a CanBus derived brake signal to turn on my aux brake light with 4 flashes then solid.  It was a bit speedy as well but did what I needed.  Unfortunately they do not make one for Yamaha .  

Check out the tail brake light modulator from TST Industries. Not too spendy and an attention getter for sure.

Upgrade your Yamaha OEM tail light with improved safety, style, and 3...

Today I have had a busy day and i have fitted a black widow full system, i have retrofitted a powerbronze screen that was supposed to be for a 2015-16 tracer and sequential LED indicators (turn signals). pictures to follow 😃

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Kyronix said:

Today I have had a busy day and i have fitted a black widow full system, i have retrofitted a powerbronze screen that was supposed to be for a 2015-16 tracer and sequential LED indicators (turn signals). pictures to follow 😃

Pretty please, include a video with sound :)

I had a Black Widow system on my MT07, and I'm really curious how the various BW cans sound on the Tracer.

Which did you get?

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Rovari said:

I was not happy with the color of the driving lights so I grabbed some 320 and a can of semi gloss paint. I think they look much better black and if you look into the lenses you can see the red inner body, a unique look. I also attached a pic of the headlights on with the high beam angled down...you can see that both headlights look equal in brightness. 

IMG_9931 (1).jpeg

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9943.jpeg

IMG_9946.jpeg

IMG_9951.jpeg

Without meaning to be mean, why didn't you buy black lights in the first place, and then, not remove them before painting?!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

For sure.   I've actually got a half-completed project Arduino setup in a drawer I was experimenting with for wiring on my old XJ750.  From a design standpoint it's really simple, but it's the making part that's a problem for me.  I got it very functional, but it ended up pretty big and had way too many failure points with weather and vibration.  All solvable, but... Decided a fuse block and a couple relays where less work.

The Element is dumb expensive for what it does, but... There's really something to be said for the size, cleanness and feature set.  Dunno when I'll have the spare cash for something that I definitely don't need at all (my existing fuse box and such do work just fine) but I really, really want one :)

I mean, it even shows the current amperage drawn on a circuit in the app.  What a dream that would be for troubleshooting electrical gremlins before they become real problems.

Something that i noticed on the PWM (pulse width modulation) circuit is it shows the current and the percentage but it caught me a bit off guard on my heated jacket liner.  I then realized in PWM it "sees" full current but not all the time.

For those unfamiliar with PWM it basically turns the circuit on for a period of time then off for a period of time.  Doing this very fast will dim LED lights but actually what is happening is the lights are full brightness then off over and over again but our eyes don't perceive it that way.  For heated gear it is the same but heat is average current times the voltage so with the same current for less time the heat (power) is less.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Rovari said:

After ordering (and returning!) 3 different sets of 3" lights they were too bulky and gawdy looking...there are not too many options for 2" lights. What did you put on your bike? and why are we having this conversation? 

Twin 3" sq 20w 6 diode 15° spots, rubber mounted, wider spacing and optimum pattern reach, heights and spread

Function over form

ALWAYS!

Because I thought it was a highly illogical to paint the lights ON the bike.  More prep, protection otherwise unnecessary, difficult to prep clean and properly apply coating at proper distance to all surfaces, etc.

Nuf said

20201119_161509.thumb.jpg.1a45e7f18c6b7214873c7bf82a3e26ad.jpg

I added a new tank bag. I've been using an Enduristan 4S bag, which is waterproof, but the waterproof zipper is a royal PITA. The Mosko Hood bag is a little smaller, but so easy to open and close. I like that it is not black (why do so many motorcycle things come only in black?!). I really want to wrap my bike to get rid of the grey. I don't understand why so many people think clear-coated primer grey is so attractive...

y3rvqeSPfefbYXUIGONV8KUnTUdc5ZA5LTO-Zi7o

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Rovari said:

This was my exact point! I would never put those square big ass lights on my bike. The bike including your FJ is all curves and smooth lines and then you add those gawdy square lights..I guess if you really need all that light that's the trade off you have decided to endure. To each their own. For me the lights didn't need to be powder coated..they were prepped properly, and got three coats of paint. They are tucked up under the cowl and out of the way so you don't really see them anyways. Cheers

Being an engineer, I'm totally a function over form, as my FJ is not a work of art akin to a Ducati 996 or any MV Agusta.  I can't see the lights once aboard and only care if I can see the road.  And there are plenty of sharp lines such that the square lights do not stand out to the less discerning. 

I also mentioned nothing about powder coating, my only point was in my experience and in accordance with generally accepted industry practices and standards, it's much better to remove a part to paint it rather than to do so in sito.

8 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I added a new tank bag. I've been using an Enduristan 4S bag, which is waterproof, but the waterproof zipper is a royal PITA. The Mosko Hood bag is a little smaller, but so easy to open and close. I like that it is not black (why do so many motorcycle things come only in black?!). I really want to wrap my bike to get rid of the grey. I don't understand why so many people think clear-coated primer grey is so attractive...

y3rvqeSPfefbYXUIGONV8KUnTUdc5ZA5LTO-Zi7o

I have the same colour...IMO it wouldn’t have been my first choice either but since getting the bike I find it growing on me. There’s a possibility I’ll try getting it wrapped down the road but I’m in no rush.

1 hour ago, NormR said:

I have the same colour...IMO it wouldn’t have been my first choice either but since getting the bike I find it growing on me. There’s a possibility I’ll try getting it wrapped down the road but I’m in no rush.

It helps a lot to wrap or plastidip those white panels matte black, so they match the side pieces below the tank.  I wrapped, @Dodgy Knees plastidipped his, and it makes the bike look a lot better:

wrapped.thumb.jpg.f2c9cd55b7782609edf9e12f75de562e.jpg

That said, it turns out you can just order new panels entirely in whatever color you want (that Yamaha makes them in, so red, red-orange, white, blue, black, and silver) for about $250CDN.  I've got black ones on the way.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Rovari said:

Glad I am not an engineer! Life is too short for so many details and the condescending tone that you spew when you respond. Glad I don't do that to people. I was just sharing the color difference and you turn it into an engineering class. Lighten up, you are older than me...remember life is short. 

I could say the EXACT same thing about you and how you come off.  So look in the mirror.  Facts are facts, subjective banter is just that.  Each to their own but life is what it is and it is never easy for most, and you need to get one. You were not sharing but prostletizing.

3 hours ago, Rovari said:

That's great Wintersdark, where did you find them? Do they have for the Tracer as well? 

Dealership, just ordered as OEM replacement parts. This is a Tracer, too - I removed the "Tracer gooGT" stickers before wrapping the panels.  I'd assume you could get older FJ panels too, but the FJ's as a rule have much better color schemes than the Tracers do so it's less of an issue.