What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

9 hours ago, i_ride45 said:

Where can you find these side panels?

These are the stock pearl white panels covered in black vinyl.  Dodgy Knees got similar results with Plastidip.

However, you can get replacement panels from any dealer/shop that can order OEM parts.  You can order them online as well, of course, but it's harder to be certain you're getting the correct colors.

Within a generation, they're all the same, so you can pick between any of the colors available.  I mentioned the price back a couple pages, IIRC they're $75CDN each, but I'm too lazy to go back and check again.  

You can get red (matching the red stripes on the grey bike like mine, which are the non-GT 2019 panels, you can get the 2020 red-orange metallic panels, 2019 Silver, 2019 and 2020 black, and probably others.

• Thanks 1

I finished wiring up the cruise control retrofit. I turned the key and none of the magic smoke escaped!

20210412_163949.thumb.jpg.11554cf7dbe030ae452743af2c906174.jpg

I tidied up the wiring and buttoned everything up to go for a short test spin. 

Everything worked correctly, yahoo!!

Here is what the new turn signals/running lights look like.

20210412_180926.thumb.jpg.c6ceb1747e71f67c37e9c17e9eb5b117.jpg

20210412_180920.thumb.jpg.0c89c36c6ed247b49f13e5624ba93c95.jpg

I did discover that I installed the STS incorrectly. The box needs to be oriented up and facing the direction of travel. I had no turn signals on my ride. My fault for not reading the directions well enough *facepalm*

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I renewed my registration today, $78 for two years, which means I'm coming up on six years of FJ-09 ownership. I know this may seem cheap to some of you, but it wasn't all that long ago it was just $12 for two years! If only my salary had increased at that pace during the last 20 years.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, keithu said:

I renewed my registration today, $78 for two years, which means I'm coming up on six years of FJ-09 ownership. I know this may seem cheap to some of you, but it wasn't all that long ago it was just $12 for two years! If only my salary had increased at that pace during the last 20 years.

Here in Quebec our registration is yearly. Our registration costs are classified according to the bike "style" you ride. Sport, standard and 400cc or less. The rates include a "no-fault insurance" element that covers you personally (medical, i.e. disability etc) even if your the responsible driver in an accident. The rates even for the 400cc bikes are astronomical compared to most places I know. To register my GT yearly its a whooping $680. This doesn't cover your actual bike insurance. I often think they are just trying to get motorcycles off the road here. Gixers and R1's cost north of $1,500 to register each year

Edited by NormR
  • Sad 1

Mississippi wins with the high tag cost, $175 last nov. for my Tracer and that is for a year. My 2021 GSXR1000R was $278 for first year.😡

Plus we pay 7% sales taxes on a new motorcycle. And 7% on ALL groceries. Taxed to death here....and the roads all still suck! 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

New rear tire installed -another Dunlop Roadsmart III, as I was content with the performance and mileage (10k.) Had a sticky rear brake light switch, so putzed with that and cleaned/lubed it... fingers crossed it is the fix. Wired a new coax heated gear plug to the battery, the old one had gotten pinched somewhere on some bike in the last decade so it was time for new.

Just a bunch of generally-needed fettling, as I leave end of the month for a ride to Texas and Big Bend and thence NW.

4 years in and I'm still loving the FJ!

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, NormR said:

Here in Quebec our registration is yearly. Our registration costs are classified according to the bike "style" you ride. Sport, standard and 400cc or less. The rates include a "no-fault insurance" element that covers you personally (medical, i.e. disability etc) even if your the responsible driver in an accident. The rates even for the 400cc bikes are astronomical compared to most places I know. To register my GT yearly its a whooping $680. This doesn't cover your actual bike insurance. I often think they are just trying to get motorcycles off the road here. Gixers and R1's cost north of $1,500 to register each year

Ooof!  Here in Alberta, my GT costs $80/yr to register, and $350/yr to insure to a ridiculous degree (if written off in the first two years of ownership, I get 100% of the purchase price, my gear and accessories are fully covered, etc).  Vehicle ownership - particularly motorcycle - in Alberta is really cheap 😃

• Thumbsup 2

(In Belgium) I pay 70 euro a year for registration and 175 euro for insurance. This is relatively cheap because I also insure my car there and have been accident free for more than 20 years. The insurance only covers damages to others.

• Thumbsup 2

On 4/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, 3sum said:

What did I do to mine today? Put it on Road Atlanta with the Yamaha Riders Championship School and realized early I have some habits to break and some to develop. 

How did you end up liking it?

I apologize, I never made it over to say hi. I did Champ Grad and was on a different schedule, anytime I had free time, you were on track & vise versa I think. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

I installed SW Motech crash guards, to replace the terrible Hepco-Becker guards I had before. I can actually get the bodywork off with these in place, so maybe I'll stop bitching about the fairing puzzle quite so much. 

Bonus: It should be a little easier to attach accessories to these. 

Did I mention the Hepco-Becker guards suck? Don't buy them. 

DSCF0125.thumb.JPG.bc6de3bba62bf31989410ac00eab91cb.JPG

DSCF0127.thumb.JPG.3584067dcfee3806bb0c6b83b183cf69.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

37 minutes ago, keithu said:

Interesting to see how much license fees vary by state, province, and country. Who knew Mississippi was more expensive than Belgium? 

Someone should start a thread about that

Installed this High Level Mount Sat Nav and hardwired the GPS. Really clever 3D printed design and installation is a breeze (only fits GT).

image.thumb.png.ddc0bfa6922162ec022d647e281c453a.png

The most difficult part was connecting the GPS wire to the original Yamaha connector that I also got from eBay. I didn't have the right crimping tool and soldered it to the pins which would no longer click in place but it worked out in the end.

Swiss Alps, here I come! When I'm allowed to leave the country that is...

• Thumbsup 2

18 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Ooof!  Here in Alberta, my GT costs $80/yr to register, and $350/yr to insure to a ridiculous degree (if written off in the first two years of ownership, I get 100% of the purchase price, my gear and accessories are fully covered, etc).  Vehicle ownership - particularly motorcycle - in Alberta is really cheap 😃

Here in Saskatchewan, I pay $160/month for my plates, which includes liability, collision, and no-fault injury and income coverage.  There is also an option for accepting reduced no-fault benefits for a slightly lower premium.  The good thing is that I can suspend the registration for winter.  I carry a cheap policy which covers storage, etc, and increases my liability coverage as well.  All in costs me around $1000/yr.  Way worse if your bike is classified as a sports bike. The problem is the no-fault injury coverage; it only calculates your odds of being hurt, and doesn't care whose fault it is, so all the car vs bike accidents caused by drivers that don't see us drive our rates up, not theirs.  Sigh.  Oh well, the price of fun!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, koth442 said:

How did you end up liking it?

I apologize, I never made it over to say hi. I did Champ Grad and was on a different schedule, anytime I had free time, you were on track & vise versa I think. 

I thoroughly enjoyed it. If it were less expensive, I would have signed up for the Inde school while I was there. All of the instructors were top notch, too. Couldn’t be more pleased. 

• Thumbsup 2