What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

In retrospect, a pretty long way to go about the challenge... but it works.

That’s exactly what makes one-off projects like this so satisfying to me, actually.    Nicely done!  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I dinged my front wheel pretty good last year. In my search for a replacement I’m  pretty sure I  found out the MT07 wheel will work. Does it have the ABS ring?

Yes the 07 has an ABS ring (so long as the wheel still has it attached anyways; the MT07 does have ABS)

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Put a RoadSmart 4 on the rear and LightTech chain adjusters on.

20210323_163415.jpg

20210323_163429.jpg

Ha, I put on a front and rear RS4 today. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

On 3/21/2021 at 5:37 AM, fjray said:

Good thing too because the  original  Dunflops on these bikes aren't  even  good at protecting the rims. 

Now that's funny there I don't care who you are!

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

Fender extender came from Pyramid. I couldn't bring myself to using 2-way tape and push rivets that were in the kit, so I instead used aluminum rivets. Glad I did... super solid, and once I black out the heads it should look great. I used 3/16" rivets with 1/4" grip range and backing washers on the inside.

20210323_205702.thumb.jpg.26be3f3b41a198cec76079073cc26943.jpg

UPDATE: installed on the bike.

hugger.thumb.jpg.1e393688547b6ddb9de97adfb4b27ca2.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Fender extender came from Pyramid. I couldn't bring myself to using 2-way tape and push rivets that were in the kit, so I instead used aluminum rivets. Glad I did... super solid, and once I black out the heads it should look great. I used 3/16" rivets with 1/4" grip range and backing washers on the inside.

20210323_205702.thumb.jpg.26be3f3b41a198cec76079073cc26943.jpg

20210323_205943.thumb.jpg.6878334a3c6b7a54886d6b64d4932911.jpg

That's going no-where!... as in, will never come adrift.  One tiny tip if you haven't already done it is to put some blue locktite on those screws that hold the guard to the bike.  They have a tendency to back out.   Ask me how I know.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, tktplz said:

Now that's funny there I don't care who you are!

Wasn't trying for laughs, just disgusted with the original tires on these bikes. I've had two new ones now and both times have taken the rim protectors off after only hundreds of miles. 

11 minutes ago, fjray said:

Wasn't trying for laughs, just disgusted with the original tires on these bikes. I've had two new ones now and both times have taken the rim protectors off after only hundreds of miles. 

Yeah I wonder where they find these 2nd rate tires from a major manufacturer. Why can't they put on the RoadSmart III or RoadSmart 4s? Are these tires the companies make for the bike itself? Anytime OEM tires are on something they seem to be tires you won't find for sale or them promoting. One of the only tires I see them promoting is the Bridgestone S22s stock on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000s. I'm actually trying a set. Just ordered from rockymountainatv.com with a $50 dollar VISA attached. Still though wondering why Dunlop would make a tire so bad when they have good tires they could promote. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

Before they’re shipped off from the manufacturer, the Original Equipment tires have to pass a variety of different tests. The tires have to prove the tires are adequate enough to drive through plenty of different conditions, like rain, snow, dry road, pavement, gravel… these tire makers leave no stone unturned.

These tires could therefore be interpreted as jack-of-all-trades, which is certainly correct. However, these tires aren’t necessarily exceptional at any singular task. Instead, they’re adequate at bunch of different things.

If you’re a die-hard enthusiast who needs their tires to cater to a particular condition, OEMs may not be for you. If you’re a driver who needs your tires to not break down, get you from point A to B, and perform well in a variety of different conditions, then OEMs are probably for you. 

Along with this manufactures have to bid to produce tires for a new model, and this can be reflected in the materials used for OEM's.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Put a RoadSmart 4 on the rear and LightTech chain adjusters on.

20210323_163415.jpg

20210323_163429.jpg

Could you please post a photo of the left adjuster?  Does yours engage the head of the axle bolt exactly, or is there about 1/32" or so of clearance so the bolt head can rotate that amount (which I shim out with a U shaped strip of coke can, not Pepsi)?

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

That's going no-where!... as in, will never come adrift.  One tiny tip if you haven't already done it is to put some blue locktite on those screws that hold the guard to the bike.  They have a tendency to back out.   Ask me how I know.

I installed their real carbon fiber model a few years ago using double sided tape AND 4 stainless steel button head cap screws coated with thread sealant.  I also filled the gaps between the oem fender and swing arm with neoprene foam, which stops an amazing amount of crud from reaching the shock. +1 on also applying thread sealant to the fender bolts too.

Snow here Friday...

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Could you please post a photo of the left adjuster?  Does yours engage the head of the axle bolt exactly, or is there about 1/32" or so of clearance so the bolt head can rotate that amount (which I shim out with a U shaped strip of coke can, not Pepsi)?

I'm at work. Will do when I get home.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

20210324_155047.jpg

20210323_163429.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA