What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, petshark said:

Are you thinking of changing your handle from fjray to traycer? 😁 Welcome to the 2019 club!

That's funny. I'll probably  keep  referring to  my FJ09  even  though  I have a goo.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Well I got out again,  A few more twisties up in Southeast Wisconsin to be had.

A balmy 56゚ in the Sun is shining. I'll head a little farther North and swing around, Gas up on E0 And head back to the flat lands

Photo is at the quick trip in East Troy Wisconsin

20210313_143724.jpg

Sunny day, riding a  motorcycle,  and convenience store food.  What could be better?

On 3/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I didn't intend to act like a beaming parent, I was just trying to relate to the situation Internationally related to visiting ERs compared to the United States in general.

You should be a proud papa.  Quite the accomplishments.  Wonderful she is doing so much to improve emergency care.  

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, betoney said:

To be honest, I didn't find a huge difference between the two tires.  I have gone through a few sets of S22 and on my 2nd set of T31's (as well as previous S21's)  The biggest difference is more rain grooves on the T31 and possibly a very slightly firmer feel but as far as grip I find them very similar - I have never lost grip or felt the slightest bit skitterish on either tire. 

Longevity will obviously be very subjective and dependent on many different factors but I have averaged around 7k out of both tires (last set of S22 made it to 7500 but was DONE at that point), which surprised me.  I have had zero issues using the S21 or S22 on week long road trips w/ lots of highway riding or the T31 in the mountain and canyon twisties, they seem to crossover well and be very versatile in any condition. 

If getting a set of tires specifically for sporty riding, get the S22's.  👍

My Zx6R 636 came with S20s, rear wore out and replaced with an S21.  They were great.  Rode thru a major storm on them and had no traction issues at all.  Had run Michelin Pilot Road 3s and 4s on my CBR600RR.  The S20 and S21 worked as well but with better traction and less mileage.  Think I got about 4,000 miles out of the rear S20.  This was almost 4 years ago but I would expect the S22s to be good also.  I've been taking trips in the 5,500 to 6,000 mile range so need a tire that lasts.  Right now running Michelin Pilot Power 5 front and Road 5 rear on my 2020 Tracer GT.   The Road 5 has 3,800 miles and was a takeoff after a long trip so only had to buy the front.  Went out and played a bit today.  Really like the tire combination bike goes where I want it to and no issues.  For the last couple of years I've been doing 5,500 mile trips and wind up buying at least a new rear before each trip which left me with a "spare" tire with 6,000 miles on it.  My plan was to run older tires between trips but hasn't worked out that way.  I'm thinking the soft Power 5 will last about as long as the Road 5 rear so will buy tires in sets.

@fjray Congrats on the new bike that's a Goo(d) move :-)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

For the last couple of years I've been doing 5,500 mile trips and wind up buying at least a new rear before each trip which left me with a "spare" tire with 6,000 miles on it.  My plan was to run older tires between trips but hasn't worked out that way.

I run into the same situation and hate to waste a tire that still has life left in it.  I have thought about looking for a used 2nd set of rims to have a fresh set of tires at the ready for a longer road trip.

I made the mistake before of starting a trip with partially used tires, over estimating their longevity and thinking I could squeeze the last bit of life out of them.  We had a day and a half left before getting home when the tread wore through to the steel belts, wasted half a day finding a dealership and squeezing the bike into their service schedule for a replacement.

**EDIT** I just bought a rear rim on eBay with a rotor and a recent Bridgestone S20 already mounted, that should make it easier to have both daily riding tires and the 2nd wheel with a road-trip tire ready to go with just the swap of the cush drive hub/sprocket.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

15 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Where did you get that unit?   I’ve now had two of the el cheapo ones fail, presumably due to vibration.  I would definitely  pay more for one that will hold up longer... 

It's also cheap but relatively less so than the usual ones with the lid that is only held in place by a plastic USB insert. Both on Amazon and Ali about 50% more expensive which is still dirt cheap.

I have a theory that Chinese manufacturers have databases with manufacturing specs available to all and you can get the same product from different factories with varying attention to detail and quality of parts. They often look the same but are  different up close.

I try to look at reviews (which I believe to be heavily falsified by review companies/bots, especially on Amazon) and try to find some real reviews. I had the same idea as you and wanted to pay more to get better quality but they all come from China and 10 euro is about the most expensive you can get if you buy direct. That said I did buy two to avoid having to wait 2 weeks for a new one if it breaks after all. I bought these from 2 different sellers and yup, same design and lettering but obviously built by different machines with different tolerances. They are both kind of expensive by Ali standards. Just saying that we can't recommend these things just by looking at a picture. One may last 10 years while the other might break after a couple of days. And even sharing links does not help as the sellers also get their stock from whichever supplier is the cheapest. 

Anyway, here's my link. 😅

12 hours ago, Rovari said:

Once the pin has a groove cut for the circlip you can move the pin out a bit more from the chuck (I did approx 2mm) and then tighten and cut the pin off. I did a quick sanding with 220 grit and voila! Pushed the pin against the punch and re-installed the circlip. Pics below. Hope this helps.

This is great! I'm going to do this today. Thanks for sharing this technique.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, fjray said:

Sunny day, riding a  motorcycle,  and convenience store food.  What could be better?

Kwik Trip really has very good, fresh hot food and baked goods made in their own or subcontract kitchens, plus deals on meats and prepared meals with gas discounts.  Look them up.  They're really a unique phenomenon. 

Apply online for jobs at Kwik Trip - Retail Store Jobs, Retail Store...

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I ain't doing this riding thing for the food.  It's a necessary evil taking time to eat and subtracts from riding time.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

There's none close to me either. Seems they're only in WI?  Been to WI twice to go riding the alphabet roads and around Galesburg IL and Dubuque IA.  Better than what I have here in northern IN but not worth my time to go through Chicago to go there again.  Bon Appetit!

• Premium Member

Yes, we all agree, stopping for gas, food and a rest room (toilet) cuts into riding time but is a necessary, no, essential "evil".  Sometimes stopping just for a break is a excellent thing to do for safety; i.e., in hot weather, to relieve stress and anxiety, if your ill, etc..  And gassing up, taping a kidney/ colon, and having a decent meal with your riding bud(dies) is also part of the whole riding comradery equation.

And short of dining at a hopefully good restaurant (often chancy), believe it or not, Kwik Trip is the best such option I've found on the roads across the US and Canada. Consistancy not quality is what made all the chain franchises successful if not really very good..  And Kwik Trips quality can be depended on along with low gas prices with E0 always available where permitted by local governments.  Hey, should hire me to do a commercial!

I wish they'd go national. 

And whereas I was born a Hoosier, I'm not proud of it, as it is also the birthplace of the KKK among other things.  Maybe it's gotten better but I never heard the "N word" and "K word" anywhere more than in Indiana.  These are or were all facts, not opinions. 

Other than the Brickyard and maybe some limited decent riding locales, IMO, Indiana is a "drive-though" state with little to offer, unless you can avoid it altogether.  I've spent plenty of time in Indiana and have family there, none whom I really care for due to their small-mindedness.  You seem to be also fostering this opinion regarding at least the roads by your own negative comments.

I'm not necessarily saying Illinois is much better but at least we have some of the world's very best medical and educational institutions in and around Chicago, and there are even a couple downstate.

Your and others opinions may differ from mine, and you are all entitled to them.  But this is not a fireside chat type topic I will foster ever again.

Went out and got wet and dirty. Met up to socially distance with my two riding buddies. The weather was less than ideal with tempreture about 5 C and grey leaden skies turning to a cold moderate rain for most of our 60 mile run out. It was the first time the three of us had been out together since last October so we had a blast and a fantastic time. Only took an hour to clean most of the muck off the bike. On the plus side my new oxford mondial laminated jacket worked very well and kept me dry and toasty.

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

On 3/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, betoney said:

If getting a set of tires specifically for sporty riding, get the S22's.  👍

I'll get those then. We will see how long they last. I'm likefjray. He says, Only sporting riding and only S22s for me.  Alas, all that fun and they're spent in under 2K. Gotta pay to play. Now that I have a tire changer that's 110.00 per set less to pay. Don't mind changing them out each trip to have the sticky stuff.

Edited by tktplz
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!