What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

It finally happened!  Some 10,000kms with the Tutoro autooiler attached, and it plugged up - noticed the chain was suspiciously dry and the oiler suspiciously full, and sure enough the hose was almost completely empty too.  

The Tutoro "workshop manual" is incredibly annoying in this regard.  To be fair, it's pretty verbose and informative, and way more than most manufacturers do, but there's such a heavy feeling of - I assume - "cover our asses."  

"If you use any oil other than ours, we won't repair your unit.  We'll know if there's any contamination with any other kind of oil, and ship it back unrepaired at your expense."  Uhhh, ok.  Whatever.  I wasn't going to send it to the UK to get it unclogged anyways, particularly given the cost of shipping it two ways (plus I'd assume an out-of-warranty repair fee) is pretty close to just replacing it.  I'm definitely not importing the oil I'm using to lube my chain from the UK. 

Troubleshooting section: "Oil not flowing?  Pour the oil out, add more oil, pour it out.  Do not add any kind of solvents.  Do not use anything but our oil.  Do not take it apart."  Nothing else to try, just a surprisingly huge list of things NOT to try.  Ok, whatever.  Did the oil swishy thing, that didn't work.  Looked back at the manual, threw it in the trash.  Grabbed spray can of WD40, sprayed in through the outlet.  Rinsed that out with the very hydraulic oil they recommend as an alternative to their oil (but that they still consider a foreign contaminant voiding their warranty/etc).  Aaaaand, done, good as new.  I'm pretty sure that there's nothing inside there made of a material that's going to be substantially harmed by 30 seconds of contact with WD40.

I just feel the very narrow aperture in the valve getting plugged is probably the single most likely thing to go wrong with the unit, and that "add oil, swish, and pour oil out" is rarely going to be particularly successful in resolving that.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:05 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

PhotoAl,

You stated you were 60 when you had your incident on Capri but not how long ago it occurred.

I'm not surprised the Policia did not cite you or the bus driver.

I have some insight into the Italian medical system and particularly their EP (Emergency Physician) specialty.  My eldest kid is an EP here but spent 1 year at U of Bologna (her classes were taught in Italian not English) and another in Turino doing a Fulbright Scholarship medical research grant.  Apparently she is so fluent in Italian she passes as a native often.  For the last several years she has been the US "ambassador" to Italy for the

NAEMSPThe National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP) is an...

and before Covid19 was visiting Italy 2 or  3 times a year to lecture and further their still developing national EP specialty educational system, which is light years behind the US and Australia (oddly enough).  She also started a program for Italian EP residents (ie, post med school) to come to Chicago, put them up in an AirBnB for a month and supervising them observing (no hands-on training other than in her simulation lab) in 3 or 4 hospital ERs. This is because when you visit most ERs around the world (and small towns here) the attending is NOT an EP!!  Usually they are just an MD (hopefully) from some other specialty like a GP, Internist or Ortho to a Gastro doc.  In fact, in countries like Germany where the MDs are unionized, they've fought development of a EP specialty because the make so much more an hour volunteering for ER shifts.

So you're lucky you got out alive, as I've heard some screw up horror stories about Italy, Spain, France, etc.

It was almost 5 years ago.  My knee has fully recovered minus the lower 25% of kneecap and I have almost the same flexibility in it.  I'm in pretty good shape for my age.  I also have a bovine aortic valve as of 8 years ago - had robotic surgery for the valve replacement.  My younger son is finishing up residency in Family Practice.  He has had some rotations in the ER but agree with you an EP speciality is very good.  A former boss's son is a EP at UAB Hospital in Birmingham so have a little knowledge.  While I was in the ER in Sorrento an American woman came in complaining of chest pain.  They told her she had probably lifted too many bags.  Hard to not hear when a sheet is all that separates my ER bed from the area she was in.  After some wrangling they agreed to give her an EKG.  They did give me a prescription for antibiotics because of the heart valve.  I took a cell phone photo of the x-ray of my knee to show our son who was in medical school at the time.  Next day when talking to my regular doctor's nurse she said he couldn't refer me to an orthopedic surgeon without seeing me due to insurance.  I texted the photo to her cell phone and she took it and showed it to the doctor who immediately gave me a referral.  By the time I arrived in the US had an appointment with the orthopedic doctor - we are fortunate to have very good orthopedics here.  

As for the bus driver, a couple of years later we were on Capri and riding a bus - my wife didn't want to rent a scooter, not sure why :-)  A man was walking down the street talking to his friend.  Lots of people in the street, was crowded.  Fella didn't  move and the bus driver kept getting closer.  Finally he bumped the man (too late on the brakes) - more like someone walking up behind you and shoving you.  The man jumped up on the sidewalk and then hobbled around a bit - think it hurt his calf somewhat.  Bus driver asked him about medico and the fella shook his head.  They talked for a minute and then we drove off.  My wife and I were looking at each other in shock and amazement.  

I have ridden the Amalfi coast 4 times on a scooter as well as all over Capri on a scooter.  I still have a scooter I ride on a regular basis. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:34 PM, betoney said:

If you don't need the tires just yet, Bridgestone usually has a Spring promotion with a $50-$60 rebate -per set.  I usually pick up a set of both S22 and T31 each year during their promotion.

So betoney, what do you find in your mileage difference, total miles, and feel or difference in sticky-ness of the 2 tires? Rockymountainatvmc.com has the 50 dollars rebate up again. There is only 6 dollars a set difference between the 2 tire sets. I have my Gen-Mar tire changer now and am ready to change tires after each meet that I ride back and forth to and riding at them. Usually put between 2,000 and 3,000 miles total per meet. Other guys in the group are stuck on Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs. I know texscottyd can speak to those. I think he ran a set to check them out. I have 4,025 on a front right now, RoadSmart II new style, hard as a rock, 😫, Will hopefully get a trailering to the hill country in April and ride 2 days, approx. 300 to 400 miles each day. 2,000 approx on the back and I'm sure it will be done then also. Betoney, trying to see if you are getting any big difference in miles between the 2. I know you get a lot more miles than I do out of a set. I usually get approx 3,000 to 3,500 miles out of a set. front still looks good but can't get a full 2 rears out of a front. I know it's my riding style that's hard on tires but hard at this point, 60's to teach an old dog new tricks. 

Went to look at Dunlop RoadSmart IIs and all they have is a 110 X 80 X 19? None in our size. Has Dunlop discontinued that tire?

Sorry, that's RoadSmart IIIs. Don't see them in our size. 

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
On 3/10/2021 at 10:01 AM, Yamajank said:

Fjray was nice enough to swing by and help me bleed my brakes then we went out to ride some of his favorite Michigan roads. 

CA1B3913-9999-4EEE-9A95-567E8D31AB76.jpeg

Had a ball and have some news too.  Traded my FJ in on a 2019 Tracer.  That's right, I got a Goo.  Probably should have gotten the GT but this is almost exactly what I had and that was good enough.  I would have been on the FJ in the photo if not for me bringing a few things to help with the brake bleeding.  So naturally I took the pack mule.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, tktplz said:

So betoney, what do you find in your mileage difference, total miles, and feel or difference in sticky-ness of the 2 tires? Rockymountainatvmc.com has the 50 dollars rebate up again. There is only 6 dollars a set difference between the 2 tire sets. I have my Gen-Mar tire changer now and am ready to change tires after each meet that I ride back and forth to and riding at them. Usually put between 2,000 and 3,000 miles total per meet. Other guys in the group are stuck on Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs. I know texscottyd can speak to those. I think he ran a set to check them out. I have 4,025 on a front right now, RoadSmart II new style, hard as a rock, 😫, Will hopefully get a trailering to the hill country in April and ride 2 days, approx. 300 to 400 miles each day. 2,000 approx on the back and I'm sure it will be done then also. Betoney, trying to see if you are getting any big difference in miles between the 2. I know you get a lot more miles than I do out of a set. I usually get approx 3,000 to 3,500 miles out of a set. front still looks good but can't get a full 2 rears out of a front. I know it's my riding style that's hard on tires but hard at this point, 60's to teach an old dog new tricks. 

Went to look at Dunlop RoadSmart IIs and all they have is a 110 X 80 X 19? None in our size. Has Dunlop discontinued that tire?

To be honest, I didn't find a huge difference between the two tires.  I have gone through a few sets of S22 and on my 2nd set of T31's (as well as previous S21's)  The biggest difference is more rain grooves on the T31 and possibly a very slightly firmer feel but as far as grip I find them very similar - I have never lost grip or felt the slightest bit skitterish on either tire. 

Longevity will obviously be very subjective and dependent on many different factors but I have averaged around 7k out of both tires (last set of S22 made it to 7500 but was DONE at that point), which surprised me.  I have had zero issues using the S21 or S22 on week long road trips w/ lots of highway riding or the T31 in the mountain and canyon twisties, they seem to crossover well and be very versatile in any condition. 

If getting a set of tires specifically for sporty riding, get the S22's.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Only sporting riding and only S22s for me.  Alas, all that fun and they're spent in under 2K. Gotta pay to play.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Getting my new Tracer next week.  I guess I'm going to try to use the Dunlops that came on the bike.  I have a spare set of wheels with new S22s on them so if the Dunnies are as bad as I recall, my trip south won't be wasted.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, fjray said:

Getting my new Tracer next week.  I guess I'm going to try to use the Dunlops that came on the bike.  I have a spare set of wheels with new S22s on them so if the Dunnies are as bad as I recall, my trip south won't be wasted.

Are you thinking of changing your handle from fjray to traycer? 😁 Welcome to the 2019 club!

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, Rovari said:

Hey Petshark, I found these on Amazon in Canada. Looks like they are the same and should fit. Indicates fitment for Yamaha XJR400 XJR1200 XJR1300 FJR1300 XJ6 FZ1 FZ6 FZ6R FZ400 FZ1000. Only 16.00 CAD

footpegs.PNG

The pegs arrived from China today and were promptly installed without issues. I reused the original springs because they didn't seem to fit. The new springs were the same thickness and quality though, not flimsy like some people reported.

image.thumb.png.6e28f9955deb3b6fcd1fa2319d170b33.png

Did a small torture test by putting my full weight on the outside tips and jumping up and down and they feel very sturdy. I can recommend them.

• Thumbsup 2

I also replaced my usb/voltmeter with this one.

image.thumb.png.e1a44508ef48657fb3acdd77b54ac69b.png

I don't think water has a chance to get past this cover. It goes over the unit like the OEM 12v port. The voltmeter shines through and is also less bright. Also recommended!

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, petshark said:

I don't think water has a chance to get past this cover. It goes over the unit like the OEM 12v port. The voltmeter shines through and is also less bright. Also recommended!

Where did you get that unit?   I’ve now had two of the el cheapo ones fail, presumably due to vibration.  I would definitely  pay more for one that will hold up longer... 

• Premium Member

Well I got out again,  A few more twisties up in Southeast Wisconsin to be had.

A balmy 56゚ in the Sun is shining. I'll head a little farther North and swing around, Gas up on E0 And head back to the flat lands

Photo is at the quick trip in East Troy Wisconsin

20210313_143724.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

5 hours ago, fjray said:

The stock Dunlops are hot garbage IMHO.  Dunlops are fine overall (though I don't like how they feel personally, that's just my preference), but the stock ones on the bike are just bad.

2 hours ago, petshark said:

I have this one in the mail right now 😃

@texscottyd I got that same one on the way, it's a cheap one too, but TBH I've never had one of these things fail.  I plop some dielectric grease into the outlets, though; helps to waterproof them and prevent corrosion (the big cause of failure IMHO).  It was $5; if it fails, I'll just replace it.  I've got the existing automotive 12v port and a little car charger as a backup anyways.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1