TuneBoy Cruise Control

• Supporting Member

Hi Therealal, Yes sorry I didn't mean for my post to be a direct question to you, although on reread it does come across that way, but more of a general 'think aloud' to see what might emerge from the congregation.

I had considered asking him directly but that might come over as being a bit too nosey into something that he's put a lot of work into to establish.  However I did in fact send him an email to just ask about a stand alone CC function that may answer the question anyway ... he hasn't replied as yet.

Cheers

• Supporting Member
On 9/12/2019 at 6:28 AM, Therealal said:

the Tuneboy guy doesn't like changing maps without putting the bike on the dyno.  He says injectors for example can vary by plus or minus ten percent.

Not to derail this thread but my local tuner, 2WDW, told me the same thing.  2 bikes with the same fuel map can behave quite differently.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, Therealal said:

...I assume the flash inserts the TuneBoy module in the command chain, the module contains his map, and the trim modifies parameters in that....

Bonus that the ECU remains unmolested. Nice innovative design... good option for legacy MT/FJ-09 owners. Not cheap... but convenient and leaves much of the control with the owner... and the footprint is tiny. Glad it's working out for you.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
On 9/14/2019 at 12:32 AM, betoney said:

Not to derail this thread but my local tuner, 2WDW, told me the same thing.  2 bikes with the same fuel map can behave quite differently.

So I wonder what do you get in regards to mapping with a mail in ECU flash?  I know that there are certain switches that are/can be applied - decel cut, fan temp changes, engine braking changes, removal of speed restrictions etc which are global, but the mapping when not on a dyno...?? I can only assume that it's a compromise map?

1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

So I wonder what do you get in regards to mapping with a mail in ECU flash?  I know that there are certain switches that are/can be applied - decel cut, fan temp changes, engine braking changes, removal of speed restrictions etc which are global, but the mapping when not on a dyno...?? I can only assume that it's a compromise map?

@dazzler24. This is the ECU Flash from Kev Hope in Brisbane, universally liked on all local MT Groups.

I have had mine done and it is great improvement over stock.

This is his message to me before the re-map.

Some info for you: I have every MT09, MT10, XSR900, Tracer Factory ECU flash file & can return the ECU back to standard at any stage. If you are in Brisbane pop around to my house & I will pull your ECU out & flash it while you wait, otherwise post your ECU to me in a 500g Express Platinum & I will reflash it & it will be in the post the next morning please send a self address 500g Express Platinum bag or 2014 to 2015 model ECU’s & a 3kg Express Platinum bag for 2016 to 2017 model ECU’s. A reflash costs cash $230.00 2014 – 2017 models I tune for a smoother more controllable ride in all map modes, you will have more throttle control with less engine braking & even smoother on/off/on throttles. I have unrestricted flash maps for: MT09: 2014 none ABS: using FT software 2015 ABS & none ABS: using FT software 2016 ABS + TCS: using Woolich software 2017 ABS + TCS: using Woolich software 2018 MT09 + TCS: Using Woolich Software 2018 MT09SP mid April STD exhaust Akra Carbon Akra Ti Arrow Tracers: 2015 ABT + TCS: using FT software 2016 ABS + TCS: using FT software STD exhaust Akra Carbon Akra Ti Arrow XSR900: 2016 ABS + TCS Akra using Woolich Software MT10 2017 MT10SP Akra CAN Ti + Link pipe Ti: using Woolich 2017 MT10SP Yoshi Can + race link pipe: using Woolich MT07 & XSR700 flashes planned for the future. I do not use shared maps, all my maps are custom built by myself on Australian fuels all my maps are built on 95RON fuels & are months of development not a one day on the Dyno, I have spent hundreds of hours building these flash maps. What has been done in my re-flash's 1/ A/F ratio's confirmed for each of the above pipes 2/ A different throttle map has been built for every gear, for all modes A, B & Standard, looking for smoother throttle control then ramps up the throttle openings all the way to 100% throttles for a quicker action throttle, with no factory restrictions. 3/ Throttle deceleration tables have been remapped for smoother off & throttle conditions on A, B & STD modes in the FT software, this allows us better smoother on/off throttle control. 4/ Injector shut off removed, no longer need to fit a slipper clutch on the 14 to 15 MT09’s, my maps have far less compression braking when the throttle is closed, I have altered the decel maps at zero throttles to give the bike 90% engine braking instead of 100% in the FT software. 5/ All ignition tables have been corrected for each gear for smoother power delivery on all map modes + max top end power. 6/ 5th & 6th gear restrictions removed you will now have 100% throttle openings in 5th & 6th gears in A, STD & B modes. 7/ Speed limiter removed for all gears, rev limiter unchanged I don't recommend in changing the rev limiter there are very little gains in overing this motor. 8/ Default to A or STD mode for 2014 & 15 models, let me know I can make the bike start in A or STD mode if you have a 14/15 MT09, A - mod has been tamed below 10% throttles & ramped up after that to map for a faster ride but with a very controllable throttle. STD - mode has been softened to ride in heavy bumper to bumper traffic below 10% throttles with a slightly stronger mid range over the factory STD mode. B - mode Has been ramped up to max throttles to make B mode more rideable & bit more crisper. I cannot flash the bike to start in B mode on 2014 & 15 models, it can be flashed for either A or STD modes on the 14 & 15 MT09’s. 9/ I can map the AIS system off if you are running an open pipe this will reduce the popping on closed throttle or I can leave it open so it pops on over run. 10/ I run the radiator fan in the flash on at 96C instead of the Yamaha spec 104C. 11/ The Quick Shifter function is enabled in the flash for 2014 & 15 models it only operates above 4000rpm through the tilt sensor. Can be bought from Shift Dynamic’s Note: For 2016, 2017 & 2018 models MT09, MT10SP & XSR900 I will have to send a scan tool back with the ECU, you refit the ECU then clear all the faults before you start the bike, I will send a self addressed a 500g express bag for the return post of the scanner if you wish only to borrow the scanner that will cost a further $15.00, or you can buy a scanner + diagnosis cable from me they cost $100.00, the scanner will work on all Yamaha’s 2016 onwards. A reflash for the 2016/17 models costs $230 cash + 3kg Express Platinum bag for the return postage of the ECU + Scanner. I will return the ECU in the next morning post. You refit the ECU then turn the key on & off twice, the fuel pump will run on the second key cycle, the second key cycle this resets the ECU. Then plug the scanner into the bikes wiring loom under the seat remove the rubber plug off the white 4 pin connector, turn the key on then follow the video, turn the key off then remove the scanner. Put the bike into A modes & enjoy the new flash. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have to cover myself these days please can you acknowledge that you have read my disclaimer, I have never had any problems over the years but you never know. DISCLAIMER: The O2 Controller mod & or reflashing your ECU is for race use only if used on the road is used at the owners risk, the owner assumes all reasonability for the usage of the modified components. The O2 Controller & ECU reflash modifies the fuel injection & emission mapping and it may not comply with emission control regulations in your region if used on the road. This modification is installed and used at your own risk. The person Kevin Hope assumes no liability or responsibility for the use of this modification on your motorcycle & is not responsible and is not liable for any claim or cost arising from the tampering of the emissions in your ECU or using the O2 controller & is not liable for any warranty claim if it were to be rejected because the ECU was re-flashed. I can always load the factory flash back into any ECU that I flash. Cheers Kev

Edited by jdavis

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, jdavis said:

@dazzler24. This is the ECU Flash from Kev Hope in Brisbane, universally liked on all local MT Groups.

I have had mine done and it is great improvement over stock.

In the interests of full transparency and openness, I too have actually had a mail in ECU flash done by Kev Hope AKA 'KevTx' around July 2017 for my 2015 Tracer.  I've also installed his O2 sensor just before that and did his throttle mod!

And I agree, the bike is a whole lot smoother all round for having had it done and I'm very happy with it.

However, the question still stands that the mapping must be a compromise/average based on statements made in this thread from the experts that say that no two bikes of the same model/year with the same exhaust will map the same way.  The only sure way is to do them on a dyno.

I guess it makes sense.  Is it then a potentially bad thing to do a mail in ECU flash?  Probably not as there are many benefits to be had.  But for the OCD types like me there's always the niggling doubt that it's just not perfect.

I'm sure I can live with it though. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for providing some actual user experience and the communications with regard to TuneBoy. I have been interested in this solution for some time as I'm looking for more than just CC functionality. Adding the quick shifter and getting an improved tune are priorities, so if there's a one-stop solution, this is ideal. I know there are quality solutions for these individually but getting them to work together is a concern of mine.

However, if getting an ECU remap is a challenge from them without dyno'ing, it could be a no-go as I'm not in Australia. I understand the nuances he speaks of in each bike (probably valid), but I'm guessing gains can be found out of his work with averages and known frustrations in this powertrain platform (lean low speed fueling, snatchy throttle, torque reduction, etc.).

• 1 month later...

I am a recent new owner to the MT09 Tracer, mine is a late 2017 I picked up about month ago. I have read through this thread about a dozen times. After recently reading @Therealal experience with the tuneboy cruise control, I took the plunge and purchased it. Whilst waiting for the USB module to arrive I did try and read up on the device, except there is not much documentation or user experience at least that I could find. Anyways after the device arrived and getting some spare time to do the install. I found it appears my Tracer is not supported. Here is the screen shot that I get when trying various tracer tune files (Flash). The zip file I downloaded from tune boys website does not contain any documentation, I did email Wayne from tuneboy several days ago but not yet received a response. @Therealal What was your hardware version and which file did you use? My Bike is a late 2017 for the Malaysian market originally purchased from a Yamaha dealer. Thanks in advance for your guys help.

Late night update (Malaysian Time) Wayne has got in touch and sent some new files will update you tomorrow. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 3.13.51 PM.png

Edited by Gadget Gormez

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 8:43 PM, Gadget Gormez said:

I am a recent new owner to the MT09 Tracer, mine is a late 2017 I picked up about month ago. I have read through this thread about a dozen times. After recently reading @Therealal experience with the tuneboy cruise control, I took the plunge and purchased it. Whilst waiting for the USB module to arrive I did try and read up on the device, except there is not much documentation or user experience at least that I could find. Anyways after the device arrived and getting some spare time to do the install. I found it appears my Tracer is not supported. Here is the screen shot that I get when trying various tracer tune files (Flash). The zip file I downloaded from tune boys website does not contain any documentation, I did email Wayne from tuneboy several days ago but not yet received a response. @Therealal What was your hardware version and which file did you use? My Bike is a late 2017 for the Malaysian market originally purchased from a Yamaha dealer. Thanks in advance for your guys help.

Late night update (Malaysian Time) Wayne has got in touch and sent some new files will update you tomorrow. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 3.13.51 PM.png

Same thing happened to me. I sent him the hardware version number and he sent me the right map. I don't remember the numbers.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:56 AM, Gadget Gormez said:

I have been in touch with Wayne,  having problems flashing my ECU, the hardware on my bike is Malaysian ecu code 2SC-8591A-90.

An update so far still not working for me, Last request from Wayne was 13 days ago (he said the delay on his side was due to bushfires) He requested that i send my ECU you in to him so that he can take a look. The trouble is, I am a little apprehensive, I am worried if the ECU gets lost or damaged in transit then I am really in trouble. I suggested if I could get a dump of the whole flash on the ECU to him would that be enough. It's been almost a week and I haven't heard from him. 

• 5 months later...

Wayne had a pretty bad accident, he was in hospital for 3 weeks, however even during that time he helped try to troubleshoot the problem. In the end he sent off bike harness to flash the ecu. This worked first time without issue, just meant I needed to remove the ECU of the bike and flash. 

After flashing with the harness, and putting back on the bike, all functions work with the standard tune boy, I can make changes using the tuneboy trim software etc. All the functions are working including the cruise control. The cruise works flawlessly, have not had any issues you can increase the speed momentarily toggling the mode button once in cruise control.

The product works well, in my case the ECU for my bike was not listed but hats of to Wayne getting up and running and supporting it. Overall I am happy with tuneboy, both quality and service.

• Thumbsup 2

5 minutes ago, Gadget Gormez said:

Wayne had a pretty bad accident, he was in hospital for 3 weeks, however even during that time he helped try to troubleshoot the problem. In the end he sent off bike harness to flash the ecu. This worked first time without issue, just meant I needed to remove the ECU of the bike and flash. 

After flashing with the harness, and putting back on the bike, all functions work with the standard tune boy, I can make changes using the tuneboy trim software etc. All the functions are working including the cruise control. The cruise works flawlessly, have not had any issues you can increase the speed momentarily toggling the mode button once in cruise control.

The product works well, in my case the ECU for my bike was not listed but hats of to Wayne getting up and running and supporting it. Overall I am happy with tuneboy, both quality and service.

Good to hear, and thanks for the reply! Bummer to hear about Wayne. Hope he's doing better.

• Thumbsup 1