Biggest size top case that doesn't look 'goofy'??

Ok so my first luggage purchase will be a top case, not side cases. This is because I want to use the top case as not just a top case, but to get a backrest for the passenger, and to add an LED light kit to the rear of the top case for extra visibility!!

So I've been looking online and it seems like Givi is pretty well liked, has an extra add-on backrest/pad, and is compatible with an LED light kit (Givi or Admore).

So without actually being able to see these top cases on the bike, what size top case do you think looks the best without being crazy big and dumb looking?

I need to be able to fit 2 full face helmets in the case, so I believe the Givi V47 (47 liter size) is the 'smallest' that can hold 2 full helmets.

Any thoughts?

I'm open to any brand, as long as the luggage rack is easy to install, has an optional backrest for the passenger, and I can add an LED kit to the back of the top case.

Thanks!

PS - Normally I don't care about looks, but my Red FJ-09 is just so pretty, I don't want her butt to look too fat! So I don't want to just buy the biggest top case available; I do want it to look good ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As keithu says, they ain't pretty. I have the Givi V47 and only use it if I'm going into the city so I can still lane split, or carrying books/ marking/papers when I go to school (I'm a teacher) and don't want paperwork to fall out of side cases. On the plus side, it takes my helmet and jacket with ease.

If I'm travelling longer distance and in twisties I prefer side cases.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I have an old Givi E45 which has been in regular use on multiple bikes since around 1996. So, yes, Givi is a good, durable make.

I would definitely stay under 50 litres. I have seen people using the 56 litre top boxes and they just look really silly rather than just ugly.

Kappa is owned by givi and offer some alternatives to the Givi range and usually cheaper as they may have less bling.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

You might as well ask, "Which flavor of birthday cake won't make me fat?" 
All top cases look goofy. That's what they do: Look goofy and haul stuff.
I was going to make a joke about this, but you beat me to it and worded it better. 

• Premium Member
They only look goofy if you're looking at them, which you can only do if you're not riding. So, just keep riding and everything looks great.
is that a Kim Kardashian quote?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I like my Shad SH48. Handles two full-face helmets no problem.  I also have the Admore lighting kit. 

Side%20cases%202.jpg

Looking for the exact same set up of top & side cases. What side cases are those? Recommended over the oem? I just cant get myself to pay CAD 1600+13% for the oem ones here!

Looking for the exact same set up of top & side cases. What side cases are those? Recommended over the oem? I just cant get myself to pay CAD 1600+13% for the oem ones here!
They are Shad SH36 side cases. I have them too, very easy to mount, waterproof and look good. I would get the inner bags at the same time as they make packing much easier and keep everything together.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

One thing about top cases is putting more weight farther back on the bike & affecting the handling.

There was a recent post on advrider.com about using the Ventura rack where a person with an FJ-09 mounted a Givi top case. What's nice about the Ventura mount is that if you don't have a passenger you can have the case positioned more forward.

FJ_Ventura_Rack.jpg

Archived