purpose of lollipop under foot pegs?

they are basically "feelers" like granddads "curb feelers" on his old car but the ones in question basically let you know the pavement is near your foot... I took em off as soon as I got my bike home- they are bad news in my book
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

It gets in my way when lowering the kickstand, is it there for protection in case the peg folds during drop? If so anyway to lock the peg so I can delete that lollipop?
I extended the lowering 'stem' on the side-stand to make it easier to locate without having to look down when needed.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The pegs fold so they don’t dig into the road if you lay the bike down in an accident, to prevent the bike somersaulting as the pegs catch. If you look underneath the pegs you’lll see that the feelers are only screwed in and are easily removed.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I thought these were for bragging rights as they get ground off, over time? ?
LOL 
A metallic version of 'chicken strips'.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

They are there for safety. The pegs fold back and therefore are the last “safe” thing to touch in a lean. The next thing to touch is solid and can torque a wheel off the ground resulting in a low side slide. You don’t want the first thing touching resulting in a crash.

I haven't touched the feelers down once since I bought the bike. What can I say, I'm completely surrounded by flat straight boring roads. I recently purchased some new Alpinestar boots that constantly were snagging the peg feelers when lowering the side stand so I removed them.

I thought these were for bragging rights as they get ground off, over time? ?
I've seen them referred to as 'hero knobs', and less interestingly as 'safety feelers'.   If buying a pair of the E-Bay cheap rubber-topped slightly longer footpegs you'll also receive a pair of shorter 'knobs'.   I left'em off...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Mine were removed within a month of purchasing the bike, safely stored in the box with all the other original equipment I didn't like.......

Archived