Windshield for new 900 GT 2018

vic

27 minutes ago, metallion said:

Just the typical questions i guess. Like if it directs over your helmet, buffeting or if it's noisy, that sort of thing. Also is it lightly tinted or clear? Based on internet photos it's hard to tell. If you have time and wouldn't mind posting a photo of yours that would be great.

I bought my tracer back in March here in upstate NY so it was chilly in the 50's when i was breaking it in. I felt the stock windscreen was not enough wind protection in chilly temperatures. Now that we are in a tropical heat wave it is fine. However i will want something better when fall comes. Right now the Puig touring or Yamaha touring windscreen are my interests.

Thank you

It is hard to tell if the screen is clear or smoked in the pics on the website. What I do like about it is that it appears to have a recurve at the top of the shield, once again, hard to tell from the pics. A recurve windshield is fantastic.

• Thumbsup 1

If you go back to Pg #3 of this thread member gerdawg posted a photo of the Yamaha touring screen and on Pg #5 member harraseeket also posted a photo. The screen definitely looks clear. I didn't realize that this thread was started almost 2 years ago. Now that i see some photos of the Puig screen i think it will be too large/tall for me. I am only 5' 8" so the Yamaha screen will probably be my choice. 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, metallion said:

Now that i see some photos of the Puig screen i think it will be too large/tall for me. I am only 5' 8" so the Yamaha screen will probably be my choice. 

Have you tried an adjustable spoiler on the screen?  Before spending $150 on a screen that might be an improvement, the $20-$25 spoiler might be a solution to experiment with.  I bought one of the Ebay spoilers and was surprised at the overall quality.

s-l400.jpg

Adjustable windshield, fixed on the above of original windshield...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I installed a V-Stream N20333 (the biggest they sell) on my '19 Tracer GT about 2 weeks ago.  It does a good job for me, and I've tested it up to 95 mph.  I'm 5'9, and can see over the top of the screen even when it's set at the top of the adjustment.  Only problem is I am getting a low whistling noise on the left side of the screen.  Changing helmets didn't help, so I know that isn't the problem.  I have sent an e-mail to National Cycle but haven't heard back from them.  I will post here if I get a cure.  The forward curve on the sides allows for handguard clearance.

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, metallion said:

Just the typical questions.

Take a look at my bike! 

You will also find my impression about the screen. I think it is a good screen, effective and good looking. I can ride in the rain or cold weather with no problems at all. For me it feels just a bit to short so I get wind noise on top of the helmet but with the deflector and the saddle in the lower position it's better than before. 

Edited by TheBigG
  • Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, TheBigG said:

Take a look at my bike! 

You will also find my impression about the screen. I think it is a good screen, effective and good looking. I can ride in the rain or cold weather with no problems at all. For me it feels just a bit to short so I get wind noise on top of the helmet but with the deflector and the saddle in the lower position it's better than before. 

Thank you for the link to your post and opinion on the windscreen. Those are some serious accessories you have installed. I like the center led light bar, might look into one of those for my bike. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• 11 months later...

Hello.  I have a 2020 Tracer 900 GT and I opted for the Yamaha Touring screen. The stick screen does not work for me. The touring screen is rather large.  It does offer some protection, but the turbulence hits me at about the top 1/3 of my helmet.  I added a Givi wind deflector that helps minimally.  I then decided to move my handlebars to the forward position, and the seat to the higher position, which gives me just enough forward lean to avoid most of the turbulence -- until gust slam me.  I am 6' and have a long torso (and a big head!).  Nothing helps in Kansas wind;  truth be told -- I find it better to deal with the wind without a windscreen on such a light bike.  The current setup blocks the wind -- until it doesn't -- and then the buffeting becomes rather surprising and disconcerting.  I think I feel safer just knowing what is hitting me.  

I have a CalSci screen for my other motorcycle (Royal Enfield Himalayan) and it is the biggest size available.  I can look over it or slouch and look through it.  Now that offers protection, especially in inclement weather.  On the Himalayan it looks somewhat "at home".   And the Himalayan is a slow (albeit really fun) motorcycle.   I understand that many would not want such a huge screen on a sleek Tracer, and that on a fast bike, a huge screen would act like a sail.  

It is such an expensive endeavor trying to find the correct windscreen!  I appreciate the input from this thread -- and I think I may get the sport Puig or MRA next.  Will continue trying....

I got the CalSci shorty.  And I must say, I like it!  No surprise gusts....just a little torso protection.  I get clean air on the neck and face.  (I'm 6 foot, 32' inseam, big head.)  I think it looks very nice too. I put a Yamaha emblem on it for fun. 

Shorty.jpg

Edited by Curt_from_Kansas
  • Thumbsup 1

I think cal Sci has one thing right. The vent in the center makes a difference in turbulence. I cut one in my stock screen and it helped go from really bad to almost adequate. I want to cut one in my puig touring but I'd rather find someone who is wanting to get rid of theirs at a discount so I can experiment with that one. PM me if have one you've given up on. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, quaxum said:

it is def worth it. get it.

I did end up trying the Maadstad on my GT, but try as I might could not get it to adjust without having irritating noises. I ended up returning it, but having to pay shipping both ways & the restocking percentage cost me close to a $100. A gamble that I lost...