Windshield for new 900 GT 2018

vic

On 6/25/2020 at 8:57 PM, kilo3 said:

Can I get your thoughts on this? I have the short racing version for the summer. Liked it so much, trying my luck again the the touring for spring/fall.

Here's the original screen placed over the Puig touring screen with the mounting holes on both screens lined up. I placed green masking tape to the edges of the stock screen to highlight its size vs Puig

IMG_6268.thumb.jpeg.9b6d0fa25f2debec7180b345ca1097cf.jpeg

My Tracer GT has the Givi handguard extenders installed and was concerned they would hit the screen but they don't, the second pic shows the handlebars at full lock. I also have 40 mm mirror extenders. 

Installed in the low position:

IMG_6269.thumb.jpeg.8904008c7bef6e5ccffee92bc7b65ec8.jpeg

in the raised position:

IMG_6270.thumb.jpeg.3ff5c7f34cc106f1288f3e4052b121d2.jpeg

I'll be trying it out this week in the city and on the highway and report my findings. 

Edited by mingo
  • Thumbsup 3

My first ride I noticed the quieter airflow and no turbulence in the high position. I will be doing a highway ride tomorrow. I was going to get the MRA screen, but its 50 cm in overall length vs Puig Touring which is 65 cm, so 15 cm taller. 

Here's a side by side comparison size wise: 

https://puigusa.com/uploads/products/600019/9725/comparasion-test.pdf

• Thumbsup 2

I have a few runs on the highway and rode around town as well and I'm very pleased with this screen. if you look at the aerodynamic test in the pic I posted before or in the link below, it's exactly accurate. 
https://puig.tv/uploads/products/600019/9725/aerodinamyc-test.pdf

You get a bit of air on your helmet but no buffeting. Then I added my clip on MRA spoiler and was able to ride with my visor open, no wind or buffeting. 

I think I would recommend the touring screen with the built in adjustable spoiler, it really makes a difference. I didn't because I had the MRA clamp on one. I had the screen in the low position with the MRA spoiler and before that, I had it in the high position. 

• Thumbsup 2

On 6/25/2020 at 6:28 PM, Yamajank said:

Calsci is the way to go. They do it with math and science. Just got the shorty and it is  much cleaner air.  I'm told the medium will make a pocket around you but I'd rather not be hot so I went with the shorty. 

156083A3-276E-4C9A-81AF-F1E47F20A3FC.jpeg

I’ve changed my mind on this actually...rode a little more with and without helmet.  It might be cleaner air, but it seems like it makes the air more ferocious at anything over 50mph.  If you turn your head at those speeds it feels like your head is going to come off.  So I ordered the medium (barn door) from calsci and while it does fix noise, buffeting, and any kind of bad wind, it is huge.  Had to readjust mirrors, which seems to work fine.  It does seems like the mount is struggling with the weight and pressure put on it.  And it looks like a freaking HD touring shield.  Although I am able to look over it at 5’9”.  I’m torn.  The shorty will get returned.  I also ordered the short and medium vstream.  Short was no better than stock or the calsci sport.  The medium is slightly better than stock for noise, but not enough.  It’s a different kind of noise...and for me maybe even more of a buffeting.

Here’s my big question.  I think calsci is on to something with the cut out vent in the middle of the shield.  Has anyone tried cutting a hole of some kind in the stock shield to see if it cuts down on the noise factor?  I asked Mark about cutting the stock screen and he said his laser only cuts on a flat sheet.  I’m tempted to try cutting one with a dremel, but I’d be guessing on size and location!

Edited by Yamajank

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Yamajank said:

IHere’s my big question.  I think calsci is on to something with the cut out vent in the middle of the shield.  Has anyone tried cutting a hole of some kind in the stock shield to see if it cuts down on the noise factor?

Many riders have used plastic, rubber or delrin spacers on longer mount screws to have the screen sit an inch or so off the mount, this allows a tiny bit of air to flow under the screen.  Experimentation is required.

05.84.150 - SPACER, ROUND, NYLON, M4, 15MM

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Many riders have used plastic, rubber or delrin spacers on longer mount screws to have the screen sit an inch or so off the mount, this allows a tiny bit of air to flow under the screen.  Experimentation is required.

05.84.150 - SPACER, ROUND, NYLON, M4, 15MM

I tried that one day and couldn't get the holes to line up with about 3/4" spacers. Didn't make sense...it shouldn't have changed any dimensions as far as I could tell. 

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I tried that one day and couldn't get the holes to line up with about 3/4" spacers. Didn't make sense...it shouldn't have changed any dimensions as far as I could tell. 

Agreed, it shouldn't have altered anything to keep it from lining up.  The spacers I have now are about 1/2" thick, I haven't bought or experimented with anything thicker yet.  Although I am currently using the short flyscreen for summer, when it cools off or I don't need so much airflow I might experiment with some different spacers to see the effect.

• Thumbsup 1

I got the spacers to work!  Just needed to try a little harder I guess.  Anyway, I think that is the ticket for me.  I’ll post more details later,  but I find that moving the shield out that half inch or so must act somewhat like the vent in the calsci shield.  It doesn’t necessarily cause any less wind (which is good with me) but it’s calms it down.  I’d even say significantly.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I find that moving the shield out that half inch or so must act somewhat like the vent in the calsci shield.  It doesn’t necessarily cause any less wind (which is good with me) but it’s calms it down.  I’d even say significantly.  

That is great to hear, I'm glad it worked out for you.👍

For anyone who is still chasing the perfect windshield here’s my take.  5’9” with 32” inseam.  Low seat position.  The sport shields are pretty much worthless for me.  Both look fine, but the Calsci shorty actually is hard to ride with.  The vstream sport shield is a little better, but not enough.  The Calsci medium is really like a barn door.  It will likely force you to move your mirrors.  It does not seem like the mount will hold up to the weight of it long term, but that’s probably just being paranoid.  It isn’t that heavy, and performance wise it does a great job of shielding.  It blocks almost all the noise at 70-75, and it still lets in a little air around the sides.  The vstream medium is honestly probably the best looking, but I found it to have a bit of a rhythmic buffeting, not bad at all, and different helmets might make all the difference, who knows?  Now I also tried the puig touring.  It is so good at making a pocket of air that I think I could only think about using it in cold weather.  It was about 90 deg and I wasn’t getting near enough air to cool off.  Not even around the sides.  Not even in the lowest position, which I might say is high enough for almost all speeds that I would go...the height in the highest position is as high as I could have a windshield at my torso length.   The pics are calsci medium next to Puig, vsream medium next to Puig, and vstream medium next to vstream sport.

32D49C99-66BC-4258-929E-7E93D71347F8.jpeg

DBEA3378-5163-4834-8ECF-E3D857DF0DDF.jpeg

780B5D3A-A0FA-44E6-B9B5-497407AD2AA0.jpeg

Curious to know if anyone has tried the Yamaha Tracer 900 touring windshield yet? 

It has an interesting shape to it on the sides. Not sure if it's for hand guard clearance

or wind deflection.

Part# B1J-F83J0-V0-00 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

32 minutes ago, metallion said:

Curious to know if anyone has tried the Yamaha Tracer 900 touring windshield yet? 

It has an interesting shape to it on the sides. Not sure if it's for hand guard clearance

or wind deflection.

Part# B1J-F83J0-V0-00 

I'm kinda leaning that direction myself since it's OEM and should have been fully tested with the existing mount on the Tracer. Some of these bigger screens although they look nice I'm not sure how well the mount will hold up. 

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, metallion said:

or wind deflection.

Part# B1J-F83J0-V0-00 

I have it. What do you want to know about it? 

• Thumbsup 1

Just the typical questions i guess. Like if it directs over your helmet, buffeting or if it's noisy, that sort of thing. Also is it lightly tinted or clear? Based on internet photos it's hard to tell. If you have time and wouldn't mind posting a photo of yours that would be great.

I bought my tracer back in March here in upstate NY so it was chilly in the 50's when i was breaking it in. I felt the stock windscreen was not enough wind protection in chilly temperatures. Now that we are in a tropical heat wave it is fine. However i will want something better when fall comes. Right now the Puig touring or Yamaha touring windscreen are my interests.

Thank you

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.