Windshield for new 900 GT 2018

vic

22 hours ago, littlebruv said:

is it just an expensive accessory that is really a must have because you don't like using manual screen device

It does look like it goes a bit lower and quite a lot higher than the stock manual adjuster, so there’s that. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
23 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

It does look like it goes a bit lower and quite a lot higher than the stock manual adjuster, so there’s that. 

I measured the total shield travel on my FJ09 and it is only 1.5" or about 4cm from highest to lowest.

From Puig website - "The ERS system allows you to elevate the windscreen 6 cm more than the original lifting mechanism and allows it to lower its position 2 cm lower than the original as well".

That would increase the total travel to 12cm - 3x the range of the stock mount.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

I had the Yamaha Touring windscreen on mine for 8800 miles.  Massive improvement over the stock unit although still not quite perfect.  I'm 6'2" with a long torso and even with the windshield in it's highest position on my GT I still got some buffeting.  If I were a couple of inches shorter it would've been perfect!

I'm also looking to sell 2 Touring windscreens.  One is new in the box and the other has some slight scratches that may buff out.  I'm not able to post in the classifieds yet but feel free to PM me if interested.  Parts in Marietta, Georgia, USA.

Need to share my experience on this wind screen topic - maybe helpfull for some one, I hope. I'm 192 cm (6'3" I believe).

Like all of you having tried the OEM windshield, I have also experienced massive wind turbulence (making the noise inside my helmet very loud) and lack of comfort when riding - primarily - on the highways.

Therefore I purchased the MRA Vario Touring windscreen, like others - the vario version has this small, adjustable top spoiler/wing on top/front. While the windscreen itself is an improvement towards the OEM windscreen, the adjustable spoiler/wing seems having limited impact on the turbulence and noise. Have tried various angles and positions, but can't notice any differences.

Then, lately, I tried the Givi 2139DT windscreen (yes, it's big and the mouting brackets are less beautifull to look at) and what a difference - at high speeds on the highway, I experienced a massive improvement on turbulence/noise issue - even though the wind still "hits" the top of my helmet, the noise level has reduced massively. I could even - on the highway at speeds up to 130 km/t - leave the visor open 4-5 cm on my helmet. Also, very important, the stability and vibrations from the windscreen is eliminated (the MRA had some of this still).

So, after being trying the Givi 2139DT a couple of times, I remain impressed. Have tried adjusting the windscreen in the highest and lowest adjustable positions, but can't notice any difference there.

Backside of the screen is the visual apperance - looks like a "stolen car windshield", mounted directly on a motorcycle. And my helmet tends to fog now, since no air flow onto the ventilation holes (so a new pinlock is required).

My conclusion: The Givi 2139DT is visually not an improvement to the Tracer 900 GT, but in aspect to reducing turbulence and wind noise, this is very good.

I'll keep my MRA screen for my wifes Tracer (she is not so tall and dislike the tall screen due to visibility onto the road).

The difference in size is significant, I believe.

Have a safe ride, take care & stay healthy

Br

IMG_0344.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Since it is warming up here, I decided to try the smaller Parabellum flyscreen.  I was surprised at how much I like it, no helmet buffeting and manageable wind noise on the highway (I always wear earplugs anyway). 

The only time I experienced turbulence was when I jumped on the interstate and was riding at 80mph around a lot of big rigs but once I was past them it smoothed out nicely.  Personally, I don't want a still pocket of air behind a a large screen, even when I get onto slower city streets, I always have my visor open to get air flow on my face.

With that being said, if I was going on a longer multi-day road trip where there was a possibility of rain, I would definitely change the screen for the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently visiting in the UK and decided to try the Puig Touring screen. You can order it with or without an adjustable spoiler. I opted for no spoiler as I have a clamp on MRA spoiler that I could try on. Will report on it once I'm back home and it's installed. 

Compared to stock:

IMG_5787.thumb.jpeg.6ced03f616d30cafa231eea4cdaaf699.jpeg

IMG_5789.thumb.jpeg.f29b05c8e8c6d8a066f2bb3e0b99d306.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/5/2019 at 3:57 PM, Michiel900GT said:

So, an update on my previous post. After riding with the new clip-on screen for a two weeks I felt it was good, but mainly for non-highway tours or short rides on the highway. Although I try to avoid highway (boring and too much noise), sometimes the highway is the fastest way to get to a destination....

So I went back to the dealer where I tried the Puig screen. He had a National Cycle Vstream Touring screen in stock and allowed me to take a test ride with it. First impression: less wobbly than the large Puig screen, better air flow but still a bit to much turbulence around the helmet. I then fixed my clip-on screen on top of the Vstream. Just one word: WOW!

I can drive up to 130km/h (80+ miles) with the visor open. 150+ km/h and I can still make a phone call or listen to music with my Sena headset. Actually, I wanted to test the noise level so I called my wife while going 130km/h with the visor open. I could still hear her and she didn't notice any noise. I am really happy about the screen combination.

So, I bought the screen and the dealer will send my original screen to my home address (doesn't fit in the panniers unless I fold it:-).

There is a bit of a downside too. With the screen in the upper position and the clip-on almost completely up, the airflow is perfect but I'm looking just over the edge of the screens (but still in comfortable riding position). And in the summer, the lack of wind on my body might becoming a bit hot.

However, the good news is that I can hear the motor now instead of the wind. And for non-highway tours in the summer I can still mount the original Yamaha screen (with/without the clip-on). I also tried the smaller Vstream sport/tour screen with the Puig clip-on but that was more noisy and gave worse airflow than my original screen.

The 1,5 hour ride home (90% highway) was a delight! So much better than the ride to the store....

For those who wonder: I'm 6,1 tall and always wear Alpine custom made ear protection.

I was looking for info about this windscreen from vstream, sport touring if i got it right even on the hight position helmet beffering wont go away unless you add a clip aka deflector.

If i got this right... The best option for me will be the biggest version of vstream since im about the same hight as you, but the mid size plus a clip doesnt sound bad since clip can be gone for urban use

• Supporting Member
On 6/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, Seetth said:

If i got this right... The best option for me will be the biggest version of vstream since im about the same hight as you,

Not necessarily.  I read many different motorcycle forums for Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki and one of the most hotly debated accessory you can buy for your bike, or ANY bike is a wind screen because it is so subjective.  Just read through the hundreds of posts on wind screens and you will find that everyone likes something different, even those who are the same height have different opinions and it can be an expensive journey finding what works for YOU.

One thing to know is that the windscreen CAUSES the turbulence and noise, next time you ride your bike on the highway get up to a common cruising speed-75-80 and stand up out of the blast of the screen for a few seconds and see how smooth and quieter the air is, or swap bikes with a buddy who has a naked bike and prepare for a revelation and see how quickly your buddy complains how loud your bike is with a wind screen.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Not necessarily.  I read many different motorcycle forums for Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki and one of the most hotly debated accessory you can buy for your bike, or ANY bike is a wind screen because it is so subjective.  Just read through the hundreds of posts on wind screens and you will find that everyone likes something different, even those who are the same height have different opinions and it can be an expensive journey finding what works for YOU.

One thing to know is that the windscreen CAUSES the turbulence and noise, next time you ride your bike on the highway get up to a common cruising speed-75-80 and stand up out of the blast of the screen for a few seconds and see how smooth and quieter the air is, or swap bikes with a buddy who has a naked bike and prepare for a revelation and see how quickly your buddy complains how loud your bike is with a wind screen.

I had the long one from yamaha, beside how it looks i feel some wobbling over 70mph and wind protection is not the best thats why im looking in the vstream option

Calsci is the way to go. They do it with math and science. Just got the shorty and it is  much cleaner air.  I'm told the medium will make a pocket around you but I'd rather not be hot so I went with the shorty. 

156083A3-276E-4C9A-81AF-F1E47F20A3FC.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, mingo said:

Currently visiting in the UK and decided to try the Puig Touring screen. You can order it with or without an adjustable spoiler. I opted for no spoiler as I have a clamp on MRA spoiler that I could try on. Will report on it once I'm back home and it's installed. 

Compared to stock:

IMG_5787.thumb.jpeg.6ced03f616d30cafa231eea4cdaaf699.jpeg

IMG_5789.thumb.jpeg.f29b05c8e8c6d8a066f2bb3e0b99d306.jpeg

Can I get your thoughts on this? I have the short racing version for the summer. Liked it so much, trying my luck again the the touring for spring/fall.

5 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Can I get your thoughts on this? I have the short racing version for the summer. Liked it so much, trying my luck again the the touring for spring/fall.

I'm heading home this weekend. I'll get a chance to try it out next week and will post here.