Phone as GPS.

• Premium Member
Google maps and sometimes Waze. I use paper maps for the ride, my phone for lodging and food/drink

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
@jdavis - I use EatSleepRide for route tracking and logging. It seems to do a nice and accurate job, even when I have no cell coverage. It has some social features to share favorite roads and such, but I’ve only used it for the route tracing. I generally let EarSleepRide record in the background, and keep Waze open as the active application (police & traffic alerts).

I have a RokForm handlebar Mount for my iPhone, and it works flawlessly... highly recommended.

google maps if you use your phone, but I soon found limitations in terms of screen visibility and lack of speed camera alerts.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I just didn't like it and don't want to download a bunch of stuff on my phone. I prefer the GPS. It always works.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
I tried to. It seems like I ride a lot of places without service though. I eventually bought a garmin.
Same here, I’m always up in the mountains or in a national forest, very spotty cell service. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

This is my Galaxy S8+ after it came out of the Ram X-Grip mount on my FJR yesterday at 80 mph, and was subsequently run over by traffic. I probably should get an actual GPS... but no money for that right now. Especially since I had to drop $900 on a new S9+.  R.I.P. S8. You were so young. We had so much to do together still. 

#PreventPhoneSuicide

Smashed_S8.jpg

• Premium Member
You don't have the Ram tether for your x-grip mount? Get one, your phone will never escape again.

i also use google maps, just download maps for offline use in spotty cell coverage areas.

• Supporting Member
@micah2074 & @betoney - The ESR app uses the phone’s native GPS capabilities, and I’ve had good luck with it even in areas where I have zero cellular service.

It’s a free app, unless you want to enable the CrashLight accident detection & notification features, so it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the comments, I have a Garmin, but it is clunky for route planning. Thought the phone might be better.
Plan trips on the computer and send the link to the phone, hope it works.

I just lost an iphone to a dribble of water. Didn't really see any on it till i took it out of my case wondering why it wasn't working. Sigh, totally my fault. It was raining but i thought it would be safe behind the windscreen.

Archived