GT sub-Forum..

Not that it's likely to become a major issue, but I would vote against establishing a GT sub-Forum.   

A N Other Forum I subscribe to (BMW R1200 R Roadster) had this dilemma a cuppla years ago when BMW brought out its new and significantly different LC (Liquid Cooled) Roadsters, and it was, after some debate, decided to keep all variants in the same Forum.   It has worked well, as members can easily keep in touch with developments more readily than by having to Forum-hop, not that it's major chore.   I make the point that BMW's LC was significantly different to its predecessors, whereas the changes to the GT are relatively minor and somewhat cosmetic.   

Simply put, I'd rather have the GTs inside the tent rather than outside.   FWIW, YMMV, an' all that...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Simply put, I'd rather have the GTs inside the tent rather than outside.   FWIW, YMMV, an' all that...

I have to agree.  Except for the updated bodywork, its almost the same bike as the FJ, and they share alot of parts meaning they could in theory, share alot of the same problems and solutions.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

For the second time in about three months I contacted Yamaha's Australian HQ seeking an eta on the GT model.   

Their reply follows:  Thank you for your contact. There is still no update from our sales team regarding a release date for this bike.

(a) that's disappointing, although I cannot blame the local HQ; but (b) I'd have liked a little proactivity by Yamaha in terms of an offer to let me know in due course.   Do I expect too much?

I don't read local biking publications so have no other means of finding out, and I'd trust the local dealers to keep me updated about as far as I could throw them.    :-S

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Really? People are against a GT900 Board?

So why is there already a Nikken Board and a FZ09 Board on the Forum at the moment?

As a GT900 owner I'm of course in favour of a separate Board for the GT900, it will make it soooo much easier to communicate with other owners about the many, many, aftermarket parts which will be being released over the next year or so. I'm sure that the majority of FJ09 owners aren't interested in the GT900 minutia so a separate Board would prevent them from having to trawl through posts that don't interest them. Conversely I have little interest in reading about FJ09 screens, seats, grips etc. as none of them will fit my GT900.

A separate Board added to the section which already contains the Nikken and FZ09 boards seems harmless enough and would prove useful and convenient for the GT900 owners. 

Cheers
Steve

Really? People are against a GT900 Board? 
So why is there already a Nikken Board and a FZ09 Board on the Forum at the moment?

As a GT900 owner I'm of course in favour of a separate Board for the GT900, it will make it soooo much easier to communicate with other owners about the many, many, aftermarket parts which will be being released over the next year or so. I'm sure that the majority of FJ09 owners aren't interested in the GT900 minutia so a separate Board would prevent them from having to trawl through posts that don't interest them. Conversely I have little interest in reading about FJ09 screens, seats, grips etc. as none of them will fit my GT900.

A separate Board added to the section which already contains the Nikken and FZ09 boards seems harmless enough and would prove useful and convenient for the GT900 owners. 

Cheers
Steve
The Niken and FZ-09 are substantially different from the FJ/Tracer.. the Tracer 900 GT has many more elements in common with the previous years FJs and Tracers than it does different.

Also, I for one, am interested in the feedback on the GTs and I think others are too..

Im not opposed to having a separate Board on this forum for GT specific stuff, but I don't think it would be necessary given that there only a few differences.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The FZ09 board is a relic - nobody uses it. The Nikken is sufficiently screwball to merit it's own limited forum but aside from the frontend is no different than the FJ/GT. The GT is almost entirely cosmetics. The futzing they did with the suspension is not worthy of the name.

As a new tracer GT owner in the states, there is quite a bit of confusion as to what accessories will fit on the tracer from previous FJ09's. For example it would be nice to know if a particular brand of exhaust mounts and fits correctly on a 2019 GT (with bags) without any issues. From the research I've done it seems that most would coincide with the FJ09 data but then additionally most folks recommend an ECU remap. I couldn't find a company that offers that service on the 2019 models however because the model is too new at this point and it's unclear how much the ECU has changed, if at all.

So I think there is some confusion between the new 2019 tracer and the older FJ09 but I don't think it warrants it's own sub-forum.

What's happened is that marketing changed the name from FJ to Tracer to coincide with it's current offerings in other countries. From my experience and coming to the tracer from an FJR this is equivalent to a generation change in technology. I think folks should just start saying I have a gen II, what ECU programming services would work with XYZ exhaust. I wouldn't be for creating a new sub-forum for what essentially is the next generation of the same bike model. I'd vote no to a sub forum to keep all the information easily searchable, I think in time it'll end up working out to gen I vs gen II when more folks purchase the Tracer.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

As a new tracer GT owner in the states, there is quite a bit of confusion as to what accessories will fit on the tracer from previous FJ09's. For example it would be nice to know if a particular brand of exhaust mounts and fits correctly on a 2019 GT (with bags) without any issues. From the research I've done it seems that most would coincide with the FJ09 data but then additionally most folks recommend an ECU remap.
If it's below the headlight and the subframe there isn't a lick of useful difference between Gen1 and Gen2. Any exhaust that is high-mount as opposed to under-belly might interfere with bags but does anyone actually sell one without it being special order and serious coin?

Yam is a multi-time loser in ECU programming so even if Gen2 managed to get a "better" effort on the maps, I'm sure it still isn't all that great. Send the ECU off to 2WheelDynoWorks. I'm sure he can pull up a stock 18 map and overlay the 19 and they'll be neigh indistinguishable.

I agree the engines appear to be the same but I would not go so far as to state that everything below headlight is the same. The suspension is different as is the rear swing arm. Are you positive that all exhausts which mount on an 18 would fit a 19? I'm not...and I don't see much information from vendors themselves that state they will work with a 2019, so that just leaves guessing for owners of the tracer who probably dont' have years of experience on this forum to know what might actually work and what might not. 

You're also speaking as if you are certain the ECU's are the same manufacturer. They may not be, I have no idea. I do know between years on the FJR the ECU was updated and not all tuners offered a service for the updated programming. I went to 2WheelDyno and they don't seem to offer the service just yet. That alone leads to confusion until some of these details are ironed out but that's typical for these types of changes.

Point being, while there aren't many, there are some differences between the old FJ and the new Tracer, it seems we'd agree they are probably not enough to warranty a separate sub forum.

main differences is cosmetic...

for example the FZ/MT/FJ/XSR/Tracer and Tracer GT all share the same airbox...

there are high mount exhaust floating around from early versions of the FJ-09 w/hard bags if they( if retaiers still have some stuffed away in back of the stock room)...

no need for a separate forum or board for the new Tracer 900 and GT...

we older forum members need to start being more specific what "Generation" of the FJ-09 to help out with searches and whatnot

as far as ECU settings, they cant be that drastically changed as it cost some serious coin to certify OEM programs to comply with EPA for current regs... so if nothing has changed in EPA regs( Tier 3 or Tier 4), no need to alter OEM settings from previous "gen" in my experience...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

This is only a step up from anecdotal, but I inquired a received a response from Akropovic regarding exhaust for the GT. They assure me that the existing exhaust system offerings will fit even with the centre stand.

If my GT would arrive, I might have the opportunity to verify that. ?

From Akro:

Confirmed system for mentioned bike will also fit on it. Only open version does not fit on models with central stand and it is therefore not confirmed for this bike.

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/products?brandId=41&modelId=745&yearId=4438&programId=1&phaseId=1

We have no information about lowered bikes, should be no bigger issue as with a stock system.

I would love to know if the aftermarket tail tidy's from fj-09's fit the 2019 tracer. Anyone have that data? That'll be my first purchase with a close 2nd being a windshield followed by an exhaust and ecu map :).

• Premium Member
I think the votes of the folks with the GTs should count extra.

And I have an FJ-09, not a GT.

Having said that...

I think if they want their own subforum, they should get it.

I almost always use the site either by looking at "Recent Threads", or by searching for keywords.

I found a long time ago that the answers I want are not always in the forums I'm expecting them to be in, so it hardly matters to me.

It does matter for people who post a lot, I suppose...but they can keep track of their posts by clicking "Participated".

My $0.02.

Archived