Scorpion Serket Taper Stainless slip-on

captainscarlet

• Supporting Member
On 3/9/2020 at 3:08 AM, jdavis said:

My 15 Tracer with the Serket Slip On seems to max out about 7k rpm in 6th, redlines in all other gears though. Might try it without the baffle to see if it is the culprit.

I'm curious to hear what you find with the baffle removed.👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, skipperT said:

Is your ECM flashed and has the top speed limiter been removed? Because it sounds like you may be hitting the limited at 7k rpm in 6th gear (115mph). 

-Skip

ECU flashed and limiter removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I'm curious to hear what you find with the baffle removed.👍

Just done a top gear roll on and made 180 kph before running out of road,still accelerating. put four extra holes in the baffle , larger than the ones already in it. Will try the baffle out soon to compare, just too noisy to leave it out.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 2/27/2020 at 2:44 AM, BBB said:

Whilst talking to Simon, he said that the Scorpion baffle is very restrictive. So much so that with the baffle in, the bike makes less power than standard as it cannot flow the exhaust gas fast enough.....  His suggestion was to drill some holes in the end of the baffle, which I've done in a pleasingly random pattern.

I can't decouple the effect of the flash from drilling the baffle. But, the bike is much smoother to ride and using A mode is now much easier.

I couldn't stand the cabin fever any more, I had to get out and shake the cobwebs off even if it was a very short ride.  I went out through some fast flowing sweepers, keeping the revs over 6k and leaving it in 3rd just to run the motor through its paces, one thing that kept popping into my mind was how smooth the bike felt.  I have it flashed to A-mode and keeping the rpm's up in the sweet spot and just barely rolling the throttle through the turns was absolutely butter smooth and pulled nice and hard.  I'm not going to claim that the extra holes are a miracle cure but... the only thing I did different was drill about 7 holes... draw your own conclusions. 👍   

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I couldn't stand the cabin fever any more, I had to get out and shake the cobwebs off even if it was a very short ride.  I went out through some fast flowing sweepers, keeping the revs over 6k and leaving it in 3rd just to run the motor through its paces, one thing that kept popping into my mind was how smooth the bike felt.  I have it flashed to A-mode and keeping the rpm's up in the sweet spot and just barely rolling the throttle through the turns was absolutely butter smooth and pulled nice and hard.  I'm not going to claim that the extra holes are a miracle cure but... the only thing I did different was drill about 7 holes... draw your own conclusions. 👍   

Did you notice any change in the way your bike sounds? Did it get louder?

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, whitecrow said:

Did you notice any change in the way your bike sounds? Did it get louder?

No, nothing that I noticed.  Even before drilling the holes, I didn't find the Scorpion necessarily 'louder' but it is definitely a deeper sound, like turning up the subwoofer on your stereo.  If you were to completely remove the baffle then it is indeed louder.

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, betoney said:

No, nothing that I noticed.  Even before drilling the holes, I didn't find the Scorpion necessarily 'louder' but it is definitely a deeper sound, like turning up the subwoofer on your stereo.  If you were to completely remove the baffle then it is indeed louder.

I have the carbon version and yes it’s deeper, not louder that’s what I liked about this exhaust. Looks like I will be drilling out my baffle as well and see what I notice. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, whitecrow said:

I have the carbon version and yes it’s deeper, not louder that’s what I liked about this exhaust. Looks like I will be drilling out my baffle as well and see what I notice. 

I stole this photo from @BBB   - I drilled mine the same but a slightly larger drill bit.

drilled db killer.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

I put 4 larger holes in the side above the rest of them. It seems to have allowed better breathing in a top gear acceleration .

Edited by jdavis
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, whitecrow said:

If you had to guess, what size drill bit do you think you used?

Maybe 3/16 but its purely experimental, nothing is 'tried and true'.  I'm sure any size drill bit will work perfectly.

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Maybe 3/16 but its purely experimental, nothing is 'tried and true'.  I'm sure any size drill bit will work perfectly.

Same here, 3/16 is 5mm which is what I used IIRC. In that region will be fine, it was a pure guess though, trying to balance gas flow and not remove the sound deadening benefit of the baffle.

My only other thought is that it’s going to be easier to drill a bunch  of small holes, test ride and then drill more or enlarge them, rather than start big and have to weld the holes up.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 1/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, piotrek said:

The bike ran just fine, but a bit on a quiet side. You can tune the baffle a bit. I settled on this... took the boom out of the sound. Happy with it.

baffle.thumb.jpg.9d9764d65532727873e189ab0ca6bd48.jpg

A bit of an update on the sound of the Scorpion exhaust... the boomy sound disappeared after I had the ECU re-flashed. I no longer need to stuff the baffle with scour pads to take that edge off.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

4 hours ago, whitecrow said:

Well I drilled 10 3/16 size holes in my baffle and it definitely is louder. So my question is would JB weld hold up to the heat if I wanted to fill a few holes? 

Easy to find out, try! If it fails it will just be shot out of the exhaust.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)