Cheated on my FJ

• Premium Member
Test rode a BMW F850GS yesterday. I've been looking at a few bikes that I'd be able to take off road. When I'm out and about I always seem to find some rough roads. Not a bad thing, I like exploring. Not necessarily looking to replace the FJ, maybe add, but do I need two bikes?

I've looked at the Africa Twin, KTM, Triumph and the BMW. The BMW is beautiful.

I liked everything about it while in the showroom. Guy asks me if I want to take it for a ride. Test rides in this area are like pulling teeth. Every Saturday at this dealer is test ride day. I say yes and off I go. The second thing I notice is the suspension is awesome. So the windscreen works, slipper clutch is great and dashboard is phenomenal.

The first thing I notice is the engine is underwhelming. I know it's like that for better control off road.
So anyways, I think I just need to upgrade my suspension for now. The cost is almost double mine and can't justify as a part time ride.

It's a beautiful bike. Just not for me now. Anybody else have these wayward thoughts?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I could have written the same post you did, and I have looked at the BMW's a number of times. Most of my riding buddies all ride BMW's as well. The thing I keep reminding myself, is that they spend a fortune for service on their bikes, and they all say that they have to have the dealer do the work for warranty to stay in effect. (not sure if this is really true, but they all say the same thing)

And BMW charges a fortune for even simple work done to the bike. The initial cost is one thing, the ongoing maintenance is the real cost killer.......

I could have written the same post you did, and I have looked at the BMW's a number of times. Most of my riding buddies all ride BMW's as well. The thing I keep reminding myself, is that they spend a fortune for service on their bikes, and they all say that they have to have the dealer do the work for warranty to stay in effect. (not sure if this is really true, but they all say the same thing) 
And BMW charges a fortune for even simple work done to the bike. The initial cost is one thing, the ongoing maintenance is the real cost killer.......
I have owned very many BMWs, mostly boxer twins (Rs and GSs) plus an F800 GT since my first 'big' bike (R1100 R) way back in 1997.   My wife has also owned and enjoyed two or three of the F700 series.    
Here, BMW warranty work is not and cannot by law be withheld on grounds that services have been done elsewhere, or by the owner.   That said, everything about BMWs can be very expensive indeed - I recall having to pay $84 for four litres of 'BMW' engine oil for a dealership 10,000km service.   Could have bought a top-brand dedicated same-spec m/cycle oil in any auto shop for a quarter of that!   

BMWs are now becoming so loaded with electronics and other hi-tech stuff - the latest being variable-cam technology - that they are becoming unaffordable in terms of initial purchase price, and overly complex IMHO.   I would never keep a BMW bike beyond the warranty period (three years here nowadays, was only two years) for fear of bankrupting myself with the cost of out-of-warranty fixes.   

All that said, however, in all my BMW years I only ever experienced two minor problems, neither of which kept the bike off the road, and both were fixed promptly with no hassles under warranty.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Friend of mine bought a used air cooled boxer from a supposed bmw tech. Lots of issues. I think he's spent more in repairs than what he paid for the bike. Seemed like great deal until...
I took it for a spin. It was different. The weird thing is the 850 GS felt similar to the boxer.
Most comfortable bike he's ever owned. Easy to work on.

• Supporting Member
Test rode a BMW F850GS yesterday. I've been looking at a few bikes that I'd be able to take off road. When I'm out and about I always seem to find some rough roads. Not a bad thing, I like exploring. Not necessarily looking to replace the FJ, maybe add, but do I need two bikes? 

I liked everything about it while in the showroom. Guy asks me if I want to take it for a ride. Test rides in this area are like pulling teeth. Every Saturday at this dealer is test ride day. I say yes and off I go. The second thing I notice is the suspension is awesome. So the windscreen works, slipper clutch is great and dashboard is phenomenal.

The first thing I notice is the engine is underwhelming. I know it's like that for better control off road.
So anyways, I think I just need to upgrade my suspension for now. The cost is almost double mine and can't justify as a part time ride.

It's a beautiful bike. Just not for me now. Anybody else have these wayward thoughts?

What power mod was the bike in? Dealers usually send the bikes out for test rides in the lowest power setting. Having owned an S1000rr there is nothing underwhelming about that power plant.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

What power mod was the bike in? Dealers usually send the bikes out for test rides in the lowest power setting. Having owned an S1000rr there is nothing underwhelming about that power plant.
There is no comparison between a F850GS and a S1000RR... I would imagine the RR being anything but underwhelming.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

Not sure of the power mode. Whatever they had set as default. I powered the bike on he showed me some controls and off we went. Good point though. Could make some difference.
Your comparison??
Just my observation. Not bashing the brand. I liked everything about the bike except the motor. Tough to get past that.

In Canada I paid three grand for a clutch replacement on my R1150R. I only bought the bike because the previous owner replaced the clutch 5,000 km before I bought it. 12,000KM on the clutch and poof, I ride with gusto but come on. I live in Greater Victoria in BC with a population of over 300,000 grand and the only other dealer that would touch the job would still have to get the parts from BMW which would cost more than getting it fixed at the dealer. They offered no discount on the job other than to tell me I would have a heavy paperweight if I choose not to. Insult to injury it took six weeks to get it done from August to mid September. The indifference from the shop due to a "monopoly" in service was disgusting. Bought the FJ right after that and spend four months trying to sell the Beemer for a grand more than the clutch job; should have parted it out.

• Supporting Member

Considering how much of a price difference there is between the bikes, for today atleast you can get the slipper clutch kit for $230 shipped and do a very nice suspension upgrade, then start putting some money away for your "someday" dream ride.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
When you start looking at the price difference, it's an eye opener. I don't think I would ride off road enough to justify the cost. Maybe purchase something used down the road.
Suspension upgrade is definitely happening. First time on a bike with a slipper clutch. It was cool.

My FJ is good. 18,000 miles since August of 2017. Smiles all the way.

The FJ is very capable offroad as long as you have a good skid plate! Took mine off roading this past weekend and definitely bounced it off some rocks while fording rivers, but the higdonion trail cage did its job! (Even on street tires)
Suspension was noticeably lacking though off road.

Just get a proper dirt bike to scratch the off road itch, everything else will fall short. No regrets buying a 501 it is an awesome compliment to the fj, takes me all the places the yammie cannot. And it can still chug some street miles to boot.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Regarding the wayward thoughts, I've always wanted a Speed Triple. I may end up replacing the FJ with one next year. We'll see.

Just get a proper dirt bike to scratch the off road itch, everything else will fall short. No regrets buying a 501 it is an awesome compliment to the fj, takes me all the places the yammie cannot. And it can still chug some street miles to boot.

Oh yea, I remember you having an obnoxious ordeal acquiring your 501 from Reno Powersports (Reno right?). The second 501 behaving properly I take it?

'15 FJ09

Archived