• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VancouverWA to AustinTX = MotoGP

redfjniner

Well here it is, time to leave for Austin.  I will leave tomorrow morning at 10:10 am and ride to Weed, CA, then to Coalinga, CA day 2, and on to Upland, CA by way of Angeles Crest Highway, plus some other outstanding roads on day 3.  Will ride to Mt. Baldy and play golf on Saturday then ride to Gila Bend, AZ on Sunday and follow that by arriving in Sahuarita, AZ by way of Ajo to meet up with the rest of my buddies.  A 4 day ride to Austin as we will take in some sites along the way, including Porter, AZ, up in the mountains and our first stop will be Columbus, NM.  Second stop will be Fort Davis after riding around Baldy Peak and over to McDonald Observatory.  Nice twisty roads.  We will hit Big Bend National Park and ride to Santa Elena Canyon where you can walk over to Mexico and back without being bothered and finish the day in Sanderson, TX.  Nothing there, just the right number of miles for the day.  We will end up in Austin for the MotoGP races and we will stay at the Airport Motel 6.  Come visit me.   Ride home will be the highlight of this southern portion.  We will ride I-10 to Van Horn, then wind our way up to Silver City, NM by way of misc. roads and NM-152 between I-25 and Santa Clara.  Outstanding.  Leaving Silver City on US 180, for a few miles then head West on NM 78 to Three Way, AZ and then head North on US 191, Historic Route 666, to Alpine and then on to Show Low on US 180 and AZ 260.  This day presents the Epic ride day.  After Show Low, three of us will return to PDX-Vancouver on roads not determined as of today.  Total ride should be around 5,500 miles.

So what did I do over the last month to prepare for this?  New Michelin Road 5s, front and back.  Change Oil, bled brakes front and back, installed a Cortech tank bag bracket fixing to gas cap, installed a EK 112 link gold chain.

Pictures to follow as I take them.

P1000121.JPG

P1000122.JPG

P1000123.JPG

P1000124.JPG

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member

Sounds like a great trip!  Looking forward to the ride report and photos.  Have fun and stay safe!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, redfjniner said:

We will ride I-10 to Van Horn...

So, that portion will absolutely suck.  :)

But the rest of your trip sounds epic!   I’m familiar with many of the roads and routes you’ve highlighted, and the thought of stringing them all together in one trip is amazing.  

Enjoy! 

• Thumbsup 1

You will never and I mean never forget the smell of coalinga ca. Harris ranch has what smells like 9 million cows there. The smell will burn your eyes and your lungs and scar you for life!! I used to run the Bay Area from LA a lot and I would start rolling up my windows and closing all the vents in my truck about 10 miles out from there, not joking it's that bad. Other than that it sounds like an amazing trip, I went to the first motogp race at COTA and it was a blast!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, whitecrow said:

You will never and I mean never forget the smell of coalinga ca. Harris ranch has what smells like 9 million cows there. The smell will burn your eyes and your lungs and scar you for life!! 

Harris Ranch is pretty bad, but I maintain that the stinkiest place in California is the region of strawberry farms near Oxnard and Camarillo. I used to be stationed at NAS Point Mugu right in the middle of it, and the sickening chicken manure stench would cling to your soul.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nuckingfuts said:

I can attest to the horrid smells of Harris ranch, especially in 115F summer heat and no wind. It's like traveling through the apocalypse.

It's like warm sweaty humid cow crap and ammonia all mixed together lol