Jump to content
Duke

Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, fj09viking said:

Success! Installed Heat Demon pads yesterday without too much difficulty...

This is great news. Can you clarify (link) which Heat Demon product you used?

Cheers.


canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif - IBA #66956 - 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The model is Heat Demon 210019RR. I purchase mine on Amazon.ca, but if you just Google the model you should have plenty of options.

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update and caveat.

I rode to work in 32F temp today. Only a 20 min ride doing 75-80mph mostly on hwy, and my hands stayed nice and toasty using medium heat setting (with crappy gloves). Very happy, because my hands were cold by the time I got to work last week in in 45-47F temperatures.

Caveat is that this my first experience with heated grips so I do not have anything to compare too. What I can say with a fair amount of certainty certainty albeit minimal exposure, is that I will not own a bike without heated grips again in the foreseeable future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, fj09viking said:

The model is Heat Demon 210019RR. I purchase mine on Amazon.ca, but if you just Google the model you should have plenty of options.

 Heat Demon makes a great product. You will get years of service out of them!

  • Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, Duke said:

So, here is my very simple wiring diagram for the final product. The wire colors are representative of the grip heating elements (red, white, and blue), the positive from the bike (Yellow/Blue), and the ground from the bike (black). As you can see, you connect the white wires from both heating elements to the yellow/blue wire from the bike, and then you connect the red and blue wires from both heating elements to the ground from the bike.

Diagram.png

Living here in the great white north, it gets cold, damn cold. Heated grips are a must but there's no way I'm spending $400 CAD on heated grips. I like your idea of the Heat Demons (I've put them on a few bikes too and had good luck) so Duke, if I understand your logic, you purchased a couple of bullet-style connectors also and worked as follows:

Spliced the white wires from both grips together.

Connected them to the bullet connector (black) bike-side with the blue-yellow wire.

Spliced the red and blue wires from both grips together.

Connected those to the bullet connector (grey) bike-side with the black wire.

Am I following the logic?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Duke... did you mean yellow-red rather than yellow-blue?... i.e. Heat Demon elements wired in parallel, connected between yellow-red and black?

Capture.thumb.JPG.9b10c02d300e5618ec89c7c40dc0a866.JPG


canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif - IBA #66956 - 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, piotrek said:

@Duke... did you mean yellow-red rather than yellow-blue?... i.e. Heat Demon elements wired in parallel, connected between yellow-red and black?

Capture.thumb.JPG.9b10c02d300e5618ec89c7c40dc0a866.JPG

Yes it is the yellow and red. Scratched my head for about 30 seconds as well and apologize for not mentioning in my earlier post. Different wire colors for different years maybe? Mine is a '17.

Edited by fj09viking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 6:27 PM, iamthedruman said:

Living here in the great white north, it gets cold, damn cold. Heated grips are a must but there's no way I'm spending $400 CAD on heated grips. I like your idea of the Heat Demons (I've put them on a few bikes too and had good luck) so Duke, if I understand your logic, you purchased a couple of bullet-style connectors also and worked as follows:

Spliced the white wires from both grips together.

Connected them to the bullet connector (black) bike-side with the blue-yellow wire.

Spliced the red and blue wires from both grips together.

Connected those to the bullet connector (grey) bike-side with the black wire.

Am I following the logic?

Thanks!

Sounds correct, except I had no blue/yellow wire, it is red/yellow. Duke also kindly posted written instructions in the 1st post on page 3 of this thread in case you did not see it.

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fj09viking said:

Sounds correct, except I had no blue/yellow wire, it is red/yellow. Duke also kindly posted written instructions in the 1st post on page 3 of this thread in case you did not see it.

Thanks for the look-see! Maybe @Duke will be able to update the post to collate all the relevant information into the first post. Or maybe someone else will write up a new version with pics. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im glad things worked out. As for the thanks, I’m just returning one of the many favors I’ve received over the years. It feels good to be able to do that. 

  • Thumbsup 3

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a chance to ride with some lighter, thinner gloves and the uneven heat is definitely noticeable, but not enough for me to consider it an issue. Besides, my throttle hand tends to get colder than my clutch hand anyway so it all works out!

Edited by fj09viking
  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I like the effort you did to make this work. Do you think this idea can work to control Gerbing heated gloves and jacket?

I want to buy them but I am trying to find a better way for the controller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 8:05 PM, fj09viking said:

Had a chance to ride with some lighter, thinner gloves and the uneven heat is definitely noticeable, but not enough for me to consider it an issue. Besides, my throttle hand tends to get colder than my clutch hand anyway so it all works out!

Seconding @fj09viking. I set mine up over the weekend and the instructions in this thread worked like a charm. Purchased the Heat Demon 210019RR set and some Fleabay Yammy turn signal connectors to wire things up (hint: if you use the ones I did, the turn signal connector is the BLACK wire on both to connect to the correct bike-side connectors on the 2015MY). Gives access to the OEM menu system to run the grips and a finished OEM appearance. Grips are a little uneven clutch-side due to the missing insulation (only used the heatshrink) but they sure do get HOT! Dialed back the settings to 3/5/7 and things were nice n' toasty on my test-ride at around 5 degrees C.

Edited by iamthedruman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ahmed said:

Guys, I like the effort you did to make this work. Do you think this idea can work to control Gerbing heated gloves and jacket?

I want to buy them but I am trying to find a better way for the controller. 

I mounted my jacket liner and pants controller in this location...used heavy duty Velcro to secure controller...

IMG_20191105_080611502.jpg

  • Thumbsup 2

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×