Who has aftermarket heated grips controlled by OEM menus

Duke

Ok, I have the connectors above and have wired everything according to the excellent instructions here but nothing happens. I'm just doing a dry run before attaching the grips and all, connecting the white wires together and into the grey connector. My connector above only has two wires instead of three, so I mapped which side of the connector the black wire is on in the instructions above and see it is the right side if looking from where the wires enter the fitting. On my connectors, this wire is also solid black. So I connected both white wires and placed into the fitting linked to the grey bike fitting and combined all the red and blue and fitted into the bike fitting that is black. Nothing happens. 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! 

Solved! It turns out these connectors I got used different colored wires for the same spot on the two connectors. Black wire on one is in the spot that the black and grey wire is on for the other. Figured that out and Walla! The menu works and the grips heated. I'm so darn happy. Thank you all and I think I can now button this up. 

Edited by Salish900
Mistake
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

so, i have been enjoying my menu driven heated grips for 3 months now following the great advice from this thread.

today the clutch one stopped working! 😞  

obviously, i need to investigate when i can get my bike into a warm garage, as its blooming cold here at the moment.

either one of my solder joints has come apart under the heat shrink, or the grip has failed. but im curious as to why the throttle grip is still working as normal. i know their wired in parallel to get the correct total resistance load. but with one down, should the other be working at all?

what are your thoughts?

• Supporting Member

@fenj66... assuming you're talking Heat Demon? I would be interested in knowing what you find that failed... hopefully not the element itself. I would have expected that the throttle side pad connections would go first because of the repeated twist motion on the cable. It is a great setup overall... couldn't believe the heat output, and had to tweak the settings way down.

You're still getting heat in one because whatever's left is still within spec to the ECU. Good luck.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

turned out it was the clutch side grip that failed, not heat demons but just a pair of cheapo uk make (R & G). i had a lonesome spare oxford heated grip lying around the garage, so fitted that and now back to normal, but not overly hot.

• Supporting Member

My bad @fenj66... thought you had the Heat Demons, and thanks for the update. So it sounds like you had R&G working on there, and now have the Oxfords working... on the bike's heated grip circuit? How did you have each of these sets wired? I had Heaterz at one point and tried to wire them to the heated grip circuit and while the grip menu came up on the dash, there was no appreciable heat.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

ive got the, still working, R&G on the throttle side and the spare oxford on the clutch side now. so a mixed looking set up! lol

their wired up in parallel to the bikes own heated grip connectors down the right hand side of the front of the tank.

it works perfectly with the bikes on screen menu, but on max setting (10) i still think it could be hotter.

Edited by fenj66
  • Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

Are there another brand of these grips from china that works? Because, in Brazil is more difficult and expensive then buy from EUA.

Like this one: 

But there are just two wires and the Heat Demon heaters have three. So, I don't know if work as the same way =/

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, togrilo said:

Are there another brand of these grips from china that works? Because, in Brazil is more difficult and expensive then buy from EUA.

Like this one: 

But there are just two wires and the Heat Demon heaters have three. So, I don't know if work as the same way =/

Thanks

Hey guys, just sharing information. I installed this heated grips using the factory wire and it works fine wit ECM menu. I removed the temperature selector and wired the ground and positive from each grip into the factory connectors.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 2:06 PM, togrilo said:

Hey guys, just sharing information. I installed this heated grips using the factory wire and it works fine wit ECM menu. I removed the temperature selector and wired the ground and positive from each grip into the factory connectors.

Hi Togrilo, I just have those same grips forgotten in a drawer for a couple of years and I want to try to use them like you, can you share the components you have used to connect them to the factory connectors? do you have any wiring diagram or video where you can see how you override the temperature selector?
Thanks in advance! ✌️

On 4/26/2021 at 10:15 AM, kezsir said:

Hi Togrilo, I just have those same grips forgotten in a drawer for a couple of years and I want to try to use them like you, can you share the components you have used to connect them to the factory connectors? do you have any wiring diagram or video where you can see how you override the temperature selector?
Thanks in advance! ✌️

Hi kezsir, I used this 

I disassembled and removed the temperature selector leaving only the two wires that are fixed in the grip(resistance) and I 
screwed the cover back. This two wires from the resistance I welded each one on a wire from the connector. The right grip, I only welded the two wires on the wires from the connector. You need know that there are two factory connectors, one for each grip and each factory connector there are two wires one for each wire from the resistance. When the resistance is correctly connected on the factory connectors the heater grips menu will be able.

If I wasn't clear, please feel free to ask any question. 

On 4/27/2021 at 11:38 PM, togrilo said:

Hi kezsir, I used this 

I disassembled and removed the temperature selector leaving only the two wires that are fixed in the grip(resistance) and I 
screwed the cover back. This two wires from the resistance I welded each one on a wire from the connector. The right grip, I only welded the two wires on the wires from the connector. You need know that there are two factory connectors, one for each grip and each factory connector there are two wires one for each wire from the resistance. When the resistance is correctly connected on the factory connectors the heater grips menu will be able.

If I wasn't clear, please feel free to ask any question. 

Thanks for the information! I have written you privately with some questions so as not to enlarge the thread.

• 1 month later...

If you wanted to skip the bullet connectors and crimp on your own OEM-style connectors, they are Nippon Tanshi .040 (NT-040) connectors.  They are available from CyleTerminal 

Nippon Tanshi NT-040 Motorcycle Turn Signal Connectors. Commonly...

and EasternBeaver 

Both are reputable sellers who have been serving the DIY motorcycle community for ages.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

Thanks to this old thread and the great tips within, I've decided to install some Symtec Heat Demons and intergrate them for an OEM look.

Never thought I'd need or want grip heaters in my neck of the woods with the temperatures here being fairly kind,  but for less than AU$90 as opposed to the OEM heaters at mega $$$$ it's worth the dabble (to me).

Said the same thing about cruise control as well but now that I have it, I love it.

The heaters seem like a relatively straight forward install and the fact that they can be made to work via the menu system on my 2015 is the clincher for me.

I'll post my experience once installed if anyone is interested?

20220713_124108.thumb.jpg.9b5dce03ea83d7331c16405642296434.jpg20220713_124120.thumb.jpg.aa365492e024fccd9ed3f2a6fd46efd0.jpg20220713_132512.thumb.jpg.73fbd631fe355649f029007ad22f3b96.jpg

• Thumbsup 1