Winter Projects

Would it be possible for someone to post a pic of the parts, from a Yamaha fiche guess, of the innards of the behind-the-front cowling/ headlight-carrier parts of the bike that are located beneath the display screen.   It's so incredibly complex and complicated down there that I'd love to know what's what!   TIA./.. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Been eyeballing the Ohlins NIX-30 street and a 535 or the like...

I recall you were rocking Matt's drop-ins or some such in the front. The shock upgrade will really bring it home.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

Ready to pull the forks and head bearings for maintenance. Handlebar stripped clean... lost my fight with the Oxford Heaterz. Took some measurements and will be hunting for a new bar.

20191117_200249.thumb.jpg.c690ab5ef019c4393b37fd2488e78e30.jpg

• Thumbsup 7

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

I recall you were rocking Matt's drop-ins or some such in the front. The shock upgrade will really bring it home.

yes that is correct... still just intrigued by the shiny gold things and Matt isnt really around anymore to upgrade what I have.

If he was still available i would let him send me some advanced cartridges or something experimental, but i dont think thats an option anymore.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

9 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Would it be possible for someone to post a pic of the parts, from a Yamaha fiche guess, of the innards of the behind-the-front cowling/ headlight-carrier parts of the bike that are located beneath the display screen.   It's so incredibly complex and complicated down there that I'd love to know what's what!   TIA./.. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

I’m closing in on 18k miles, so I have some basic maintenance to knock out sometime soon...  new chain & sprockets, valve check & adjust, throttle sync, general clean/lube/adjust, etc. 

The big thing I want to do is fiddle with the ergonomic layout a bit more.   My long days are only about 300 miles, so I want to go for a bit more sporting stance.   Even with the seat in the tall position and the factory risers rotated forward, I want a bit more upper body bias towards the front.   I’m going to start with lower risers & trimming down the factory bars, and then go from there... 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I’m going to start with lower risers & trimming down the factory bars, and then go from there... 

Unfortunately, with the higher tank, you don't have a lot of room to lower the bar.  Put it up on the center stand and turn the bars to full lock side to side to check for clearance.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 11/18/2019 at 9:15 PM, jdavis said:

Thanks very much indeed for this, John: I said incredibly complex but didn't realise just how much!   I'm going to print this diagram as large as I can and study it... appreciated!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, betoney said:

Unfortunately, with the higher tank, you don't have a lot of room to lower the bar.  Put it up on the center stand and turn the bars to full lock side to side to check for clearance.

Understood.   I’ve looked at it, and think I have maybe an inch maximum to play with...   even so, I want to try and get as much as I can.   Will let you know what I come up with 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I had lower bars for many miles but went back to stock because of bod issues

Narrower bars may help but with KTM hand guards there's not a lot of room to play with

My Brembo R1 brake MC fits either way as do the OEM heated grips 

Rubber covered foot pegs, a Sargent and good screen make all othe difference 

But the lower bars did just kiss the black tank cowl, no harm no foul

• Thumbsup 2

Well I got the coolant drained in the GSXR and the valves adjusted in on the CRF today. I think the next thing is tires & tubes for the CRF. I'm most likely to ride it in the winter months. 

'15 FJ09

• 3 months later...

Well, winter is practically over out here in northern CA.....and I hadn't done a darn thing. Sunday, I finally tore into removing the tank to pull and ship out the ECU, installed crash bars and installed a new windscreen for the FJ. (Stream sport tour height). Being 5'4", 28" inseam and the seat at its lowest....that is more than enough coverage.

I haven't even looked the the track bike.

Time to stop putting in so many hours at work and turn some wrenches at home... You know,...work/life balance? That's something I suck at.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, taylormade21 said:

Well, winter is practically over out here in northern CA.....

Too many great twisty roads to ride in N.Ca.  Love riding down there for road trips.👍

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:25 PM, betoney said:

Next week I have an appointment for valve check/adjust, spark plug replacement and TB sync.

I also need to do the annual greasing of the swingarm and linkage bearings as well as shifter and brake pedal pivots.

The suspension isn't due for servicing until next year.

Are you pulling this out of the owner's manual or someplace else? I need to do better keeping up with regular greasing. 

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, Hyena said:

Are you pulling this out of the owner's manual or someplace else? I need to do better keeping up with regular greasing. 

No, its my own OCD service interval.  Once you do the swingarm and shock linkage bearings and realize how quick and simple it is, its not an issue to do it annually, it takes about an hour.

The suspension gets a full service (cleaning, fluids, seals etc.) every other year, about 30,000 miles.

• Thumbsup 1