Gravel or light offroad

Mojmir

• Supporting Member
On 1/18/2020 at 9:11 AM, R.C. said:

You just need to realize that on gravel roads the bike's front tire will move around a bit.  Let it; don't try to muscle it.  Relax.  The bike wants to stay upright.  

Spot on advice.   Keep a light touch on the bars, and let it hunt around a bit and find its own way.   Motorcycles in motion are inherently stable devices; it’s typically our rider inputs that screw up the process.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Spot on advice.   Keep a light touch on the bars, and let it hunt around a bit and find its own way.   Motorcycles in motion are inherently stable devices; it’s typically our rider inputs that screw up the process.

Amen.

On the other hand, looking back on my FJ gravel rides (after switching to a BMW GS), I must admit that the FJ is not the bike for 100s of miles of forest and dirt roads. It’s just not much fun 😉

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/3/2020 at 4:06 PM, Mojmir said:

Hello, does anyone have an experience with Tracer on gravel road or very light offload?  Thanks

Some really good advises posted by members. let the bike front end do what it wants, grips on handle bar should be light. constant throttle open helps weight shift to the rear, stand of pegs gives better control overall, look ahead not down. This bike is not meant to be off road (heavy, less ground clearance, small front wheel) but it can handle if you encounter one by surprised. Check out the video I recorded.

• Premium Member
On 1/21/2020 at 11:13 AM, texscottyd said:

And use front brake sparingly at most

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Supporting Member

I happen to come across gravel roads quite often when venturing where Streetview cars wouldn't go, and the bike handles fine. ST tires aren't great, but change your riding style and have fun with it. A kid in me looks forward to these surprises... might throw Shinko 705 on the bike next and switch it up a bit. Really wish I had another set of rims.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I like this topic.   I've done hundreds of miles on gravel/light/hard dirt roads on my Sprint ST in the past (which had upgraded/tuned suspension and valving) with PR 4 and PR5 tires.   Same size tires/rims as the Tracer, but with zero rider electronics, no ABS, no TSC, etc... 

The few times I've taken the tracer on gravel/dirt its felt a bit more nervous and unsure than the Sprint did,  I am curious if there is any changes to the suspension settings you guys do?   Since the fork is fully adjustable,  and the rear shock has some tweaks... I was curious if anyone had any go-to adjustments they do for rides they know will be on some gravel?

I am planning to take it into a shop to get the suspension tuned properly for sag/comp/rebound and such, but figure'd Id ask

• Supporting Member

...can't add much except to vote YES on light touch on the handlebars and let it track where it wants, and YES to a rad guard.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

6 minutes ago, knyte said:

...can't add much except to vote YES on light touch on the handlebars and let it track where it wants, and YES to a rad guard.

A light touch is always better on a motorcycle :) even more on gravel/dirt!

• Thumbsup 3

Yep, stay loose, don't death grip the bars , it is counter intuitive, teach yourself to relax. The same with looking where you want to go, rather than a couple of yards in front of your front wheel.  And use the rear brake.

And I hate gravel, I absolutely hate the stuff. I don't mind sand, mud, deep water, anything but gravel. Gravel is my sworn enemy.

• Haha 2

We don't really have gravel roads anywhere around here, but dirt sure.  I find moderately packed dirt roads with some loose dirt/gravel are largely fine with the Road 5's.  Gotta be careful, stay off the front brake of course, and like everyone else said, light touch on the bars and let the bike do what it wants to do. 

If I rode on them regularly (but not by choice - not adventure riding, just having to take some dirt/gravel roads), though, I'd probably go to a 90/10 tire like an Avon Trailrider.  I know my winters are massively better on gravel, and still pretty decent on pavement, so a 90/10 sort of tire would probably be ideal.

• 3 months later...