Budget of €500. Do I upgrade the seat or the suspension?

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, N1ghtr0d said:

So which do you recommend and why? 

I guess it depends on your opinion of the stock items.  Do you hate them or are either adequate for your needs?

Ultimately, you could do both over time but agree with @kilo3 - seat first so at least you are comfortable while you ride. 

Neither are cheap upgrades but riding is my passion and anything that makes it more enjoyable/comfortable is money well spent to me.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Seat 

A sore butt on a long ride can take the fun out of riding this great bike .

And the seat that comes with it,, is crap .

Unless your doing Off Road ,then do your suspension .

For general riding ,just fiddle with the front and rear shock adjusters .

I got my suspension just fine and have now made myself a nice comfy seat .

Don't get the OEM comfort seat .look at Bagster or a good (very good) upholsterer .

Get rid of the seat foam and get some high quality memory foam shaped and fitted .

I use the foam from a near new Super Tenere  seat I had .

A bit of shaping , fixing ,hot air gun and I got the original seat cover back on (pneumatic stapler )

Good luck

• Thumbsup 1

Suspension first. Enjoy a much better ride in short bursts. Get off and stretch regularly, readjust your wide grin and then do it all again.

A long journey is just a sequence of shorter ones.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Depends on model year and your how uncomfortable you are.  My 2015 seat was so bad for me (hard and square) my legs would begin to go numb within 100 miles.  According to others on this forum,  future later model seats are better, but not great.  If you are focusing on your discomfort, you're not paying attention to what you should.  Comfort=safety.  YMMV.

Ride Safe

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, N1ghtr0d said:

OK, seat it is. Besides Bagster and Sargent, does anybody have any recommendations for a really good seat, heated if possible.

Before buying an 'off the shelf' aftermarket seat, check around and see if there is a seat builder in your area.  I am fortunate to live a few hours from a motorcycle custom seat builder, the benefit being that they can make alterations or reshape it specifically for you. 

When I had mine built they had me sit on the foam and took measurements and shaped it specifically for me, my weight, dimensions and riding position.  I have since been back twice for minor tweaking and adjusting to fine tune it to my picky wants. 

There are many seat builders in the U.S. but not sure about your area.

There was quite a bit of disappointment with the Sargent seat for the Tracer/GT mostly due to the poor fit, the back half looked nice but the front didn't mate up to the tank angles correctly, I'm not sure if they have since fixed the design.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I vote suspension. If it is inadequate or poorly setup, it can really beat you up on a longer ride, not to mention the ride won't be as composed as it should be. I remember exactly when I decided I needed a new shock.... already having had a good seat. A better seat will mask some suspension issues for a bit but they will still be there.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif