This tyre plug can kill you......allegedly

BBB

• Premium Member

I carry both a rope type repair kit and a DynaPlug tool.  The DynaPlug is a lot easier and faster if more expensive and not nearly as easy to find in brick & mortar general retail but worth it.  And you can insert more than 1 DynaPlug "dart" in one hole, just don't trim off and grab with a pliers the first (or 2nd) dart with inserting the next.  Vulcanizing or rubber cement or bit of Acetone can be used on the dart thread to make it stickier and ease insertion, or even saliva (sexual connotation added here).

The most important tire repair tool kit item is a means of refilling the air.  I carry the small unthreaded Co2 cartridges with a 2 piece inflator with threads on filler hose.  The bicycle industry offers several good units but you need to carry at least a dozen heavy and hard to bundle cartridges.  The sporting goods dept at a Wal-Mart is a cheap local cartridge source, as they're used in pellet and BB guns.  I also carry a super small but mighty electric tire pump sold under at least a couple names.  Mine came in a case with both a cigarette lighter socket plug (I don't carry), alligator clips and the SAE~SAE cord. I also carry a SAE~ Coaxial plug adapter because I have both types connected directly to the battery through15A fuses.  I don't think what Revzilla sells has all 3 power adapters, or the cheap tire gauge that also came in my kit. I also have a tire pump motor I stripped out of a Campbell Hausfield tire pump that I bought at Home Depot for $10 at half off because the case was cracked that I canned anyway. I enclosed it I a ventilated clear plastic packing tube I wired a SPST switch into and adapted to SAE power plug.  There are instructions on YouTube to make one like this but I made mine before I knew there was YouTube.  Riders wearhouse / Aerostitch even sells one.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dynaplug-micro-inflator-v2-air-pump-compressor?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=PLA-DYNAPLUG-Products&utm_id=bing_73550960_1231453216726838_76965929057401_pla-4580565448617496%3Aaud-808426745_t&utm_term=4580565448617496&msclkid=9594e75c9513102b1a6a8770852e7432&sku_id=1282449

And since I also carry on tour a Antigravity jump starter anyway, I may get one of these because they're so tiny and fast; depending if their power hookup is universal and not proprietary.

https://www.advdesigns.com/mitiinairpub.html?scid=scbplpmitiinairpub&sc_intid=mitiinairpub&msclkid=a4a9efd15e411eff386d8ffd4e7c38d7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC - Shopping - General&utm_term=4581183926182470&utm_content=All Products

Enough said.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I used Dynaplug ropes once without success. Must have put 5 in there, it still wouldn't hold air. I may have been unlucky. i ended up getting a tow home.

I then got the Stop and Go mushroom style. I carry both with me. I'll try the mushrooms first, if that does work then the strings. But I haven't had the second opportunity to try. Almost 50,000 miles now in 5+ years, one flat (knock on wood).

Curious, what is a miles per flat ya'll seem to get?

• Supporting Member

There is always a bicycle pump!  Been carrying a mini pump for a while, haven't had to use it yet *knocks wood*

No consumables other than the rope plugs.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I can unequivocally and with 100% certainty tell you that those stupid "Stop-n-Stay" rubber mushroom plugs do NOT work on motorcycle tires. I think I was cheering at the end of this video. FINALLY someone is calling the bozos out for selling this dangerous crap.

I spent the money. I carried the stuff for years. When I got punctures, I tried, oh how I tried. They just do not work. Well, they do work, but only if you don't ride the bike anywhere after installing the plug. They're fine for static display of pneumatic art, I guess.

I once had a simple puncture 50 miles from home, and barely made it into the driveway with five failed "Stop and Stay" mushroom plugs bouncing around inside the tire.

As noted, the good old sticky strings are the safest and best by far. And they're cheap and easy to find anywhere.

The finest of the finest of the sticky strings are Nealey kits. They're a little thinner and they install a little differently than regular sticky strings, so read the directions. They're installed without cement, so you don't need to depend on that little dried-up tube. What you end up with is a knot on the inside of the tire and four thicknesses of sticky string in the repair. I carry a Nealey mini kit in every vehicle, and always had great results.

For a tire pump, I carry a cheap, simple compact "Slime" brand electric pump.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Bicycle pumps take forever unless it's a super high volume type and then you get all sweated up lol

That's true, but unlike CO2 inflators bicycle pumps never run out of air.

• Thumbsup 2

I had watched this last night too and got a kick out of it. I carry an electric pump, but like the idea of a small bicycle hand pump for emergencies too. I've only used the sticky rope, and you can ride those things for thousands of miles if you have to. 

I average one puncture a year, it seems. Wonder what the punctures per mile average is for all of us? 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Salish900 said:

I average one puncture a year, it seems. Wonder what the punctures per mile average is for all of us? 

I had a puncture last year. Before that my previous motorcycle tire puncture was in about 1993.