Smoother gear changing - No clunking

I saw this video some time ago but had not really worked on this technique. Today I decided to try it as a workaround for an unsolved clutch issue (thread)

It's an old video with bad audio quality but it's worth watching. He demonstrates the technique from 2:00 onwards.

This works really well on the tracer! This allows me to avoid my issue, the dreaded double bump in the clutch. Even better, it also eliminates the clunky gear changes. And I just have to pull the clutch very lightly for the gears to change smoothly so a lot less effort is required. Win-win-win. Felt like next level riding to me.

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, ontheroad said:

Yes been riding like that for a while,I always preload my gearshift.Makes for nice positive gear selection.

It really does. Feels as if the gearbox is designed to be used this way and the normal way is kind of brutal. 😆

My Yamaha 2004 FZ6 I had a number of years ago was a box that liked to be shifted aggressively.  The hardest thing to do was make a smooth shift at low speed and RPMs.  If I was really on it and accelerating hard or snapping quick downshifts at higher RPMs it was supper smooth but it could and did make me look like a bumbling newbie rider at low speeds.  Preloading does make a difference.  The Tracer GT shifts very nicely and usually I don't rush upshifts as I'm at low speed and throttle.  When accelerating aggressively almost always use the QS - it is so sweet then.  For downshifts they are either quick and somewhat hard or I'll pull the clutch in and drop down several gears without letting it out between.  Occasionally I don't get done before coming to stop and then have to slightly let off the clutch so load the gears a bit so it will drop down to the next gear.  I had lots of practice over the years screwing up shifting so most of the time I get it pretty good.  The Tracer GT has great low end torque and seems to be relatively hard to stall compared to my 600cc sport bikes and the BMW F800GT.  

• Thumbsup 2

I've been doing this ever since I saw it on MCRider's page last year, very much improved my shifting, when I got the Tracer and rode it home I tried it and it worked as expected, but then I tried the quick shifter and I enjoyed that much more..

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, NYTracer said:

I've been doing this ever since I saw it on MCRider's page last year, very much improved my shifting, when I got the Tracer and rode it home I tried it and it worked as expected, but then I tried the quick shifter and I enjoyed that much more..

I learned clutchless shifting before I got the Tracer, and was disappointed that I couldn't use this cool skill anymore because of that stupid quickshifter 😉

I don't know if that skill fine tuned itself in the background or if the Tracer gearbox is a better at this than the Versys' but I find that I can now easily shift without using the clutch at low RPM's as well.

Using the technique in the video which is basically "clutchless shifting with the clutch" is perfect for shifting from 1st to 2nd and for relaxed cruising (when you pass a cop 😅). The engine does not need to be under full load like with clutchless shifting or the quickshifter (in my experience). I think I have a use case for all three options! I just need to avoid the fourth option, regular shifting, because that's when I get that nasty double bump in my clutch lever. 🤜

For any that don't want Quickshifter you can disable by holding gear shift lever up for 10-12 seconds when turning on the key. I'm pretty sure this is it. Please correct if not.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, RandyN said:

For any that don't want Quickshifter you can disable by holding gear shift lever up for 10-12 seconds when turning on the key. I'm pretty sure this is it. Please correct if not.

I was just kidding about not liking the QS but I will try this just for giggles. Might have a use someday.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:50 AM, RandyN said:

I've seen this before on this forum, but I've tried it many times and never succeeded in disabling the QS.

I've disabled my QS with this method and have ridden it for almost 2 years now with QS off. Out of curiosity I tried to turn QS back on with this method but couldn't get it to turn on. Anybody have any thing to add?

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

I've seen this before on this forum, but I've tried it many times and never succeeded in disabling the QS.

Works for me on my MT-09 SP...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.