Mini Tailbag for Tracer 900?

Im a new owner of the base Tracer 900 and was wondering on recommendations for small tailbags that fit well. It would only be used for a cell phone , water bottle, wallet and maybe an extra T shirt etc.  Anyone use the Kreiga US5?  Seems like correct size, just dont know if straps will mount under pillion seat...

Nelson Rigg makes a nice little tail bag that comes in three different sizes.  Here is a link to the smallest one.  Revzilla offers all three sizes.

Nelson Rigg Commuter Lite Tail Bag | 10% ($9.74) Off! - RevZilla

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

As far as attaching things on the back, I am fond of this bungie system which I've used for my Maxpedition bags, but the bungies could be used for other bags as well. Bungie is simply wrapped around the supports under the pillion seat.

This was originally posted in a tail bag topic which might be worth looking at, 

20190810_084636.2_cx.thumb.jpg.4a8f6fd19a3b66b4ef27fe8fdfd1fd4b.jpg

I know you said small, but for practicalities sake, why not normal size for the bike? 

I have a tailbag as part of my luggage setup - the Dowco Fastrax Back road.

It fits the rear seat perfectly. Straps mount under the seat for a clean look, some added security, and the zippers lock. Integral rain cover. Expandable to something like 25L and also has an additional dry bag to clip on top. Pretty versatile bag IMO. Keeps it's shape while on the bike. Mine is the older model, but I might buy the new one for added aesthetic. 

For a tank bag - I have the givi tanklock, so no magnets on the tank. 4L stays on all the time for phone, wallet, etc. 16L goes on if I need more capacity. 

Side bags - shad sh23 do the trick for me. 

PXL_20210505_012002893~3.jpg

Edited by frosky
Pic

I have a Kriega US-30 that I put on the back of my FJ09 often. It’s strapped to the Givi saddlebag adapter though. I thought someone on here said they were able to run the straps around the frame on the rear but not sure if it was a newer Tracer or older model like mine.

These bags roll up small so I would definitely recommend considering the US-10 over the US-5 in case you ever needed to add a little more. When not fully packed I barely feel that my US-30 is on there.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Garz747 said:

Im a new owner of the base Tracer 900 and was wondering on recommendations for small tailbags that fit well. It would only be used for a cell phone , water bottle, wallet and maybe an extra T shirt etc.  Anyone use the Kreiga US5?  Seems like correct size, just dont know if straps will mount under pillion seat...

I'm gonna put in another word for the Nelson Rigg bags.  The Commuter was already linked, I'll add the one I use, the Sport:

nelson_rigg_cl1060_s2_sport_tail_bag_bla

Add functionality without detracting from the sleek look of your...

It's a bit smaller (but expandable still!) and fits the Tracer tail seat just perfectly.  Even expanded it won't quite fit a helmet, but it's more than big enough for light incidental storage and I've managed 5 day trips with just that.  It'll fit, with clever packing, 3 t-shirts, a pair of jeans, sufficient socks and underwear, a pair of sandals, and toiletries. 

Comes with a waterproof cover, too. 

1 hour ago, SKYFLIX said:

I don't have any experience with small textile tailbags. Any particular reason why you are considering a tail bag instead of a tank bag?

Personally, I find tank bags kind of annoying.  They get in the way of fueling, magnets won't stick to the plastic fairings around the front of the tank, and they get in *my* way when I want to get forward on the tank.  

On the other hand, a tail bag - if you don't intend to carry passengers - just serves as a backrest but is otherwise completely out of the way.   To each their own, though - if you don't have a handlebar mount for your phone (and there's good reasons not to) a tank bag can be helpful as a phone holder for maps and such too. 

I keep my tail bags fairly "permanently" attached.  That is, I can take them off really easily at night by popping off the pillion seat and disconnecting the two clips, but it's securely attached to the bike when the rear seat is on so stealing it would require cutting straps.  Thus, I can just leave it on the bike, and use a small luggage padlock through the zippers.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I attach a tail bag on the rear seat with some bungee balls I picked up in Harbor Freight. At first I wasn't sure they would hold but after a pull test they seem pretty strong.

Tail Bag.jpg

9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm gonna put in another word for the Nelson Rigg bags.  The Commuter was already linked, I'll add the one I use, the Sport:

nelson_rigg_cl1060_s2_sport_tail_bag_bla

Add functionality without detracting from the sleek look of your...

It's a bit smaller (but expandable still!) and fits the Tracer tail seat just perfectly.  Even expanded it won't quite fit a helmet, but it's more than big enough for light incidental storage and I've managed 5 day trips with just that.  It'll fit, with clever packing, 3 t-shirts, a pair of jeans, sufficient socks and underwear, a pair of sandals, and toiletries. 

Comes with a waterproof cover, too. 

Personally, I find tank bags kind of annoying.  They get in the way of fueling, magnets won't stick to the plastic fairings around the front of the tank, and they get in *my* way when I want to get forward on the tank.  

On the other hand, a tail bag - if you don't intend to carry passengers - just serves as a backrest but is otherwise completely out of the way.   To each their own, though - if you don't have a handlebar mount for your phone (and there's good reasons not to) a tank bag can be helpful as a phone holder for maps and such too. 

I keep my tail bags fairly "permanently" attached.  That is, I can take them off really easily at night by popping off the pillion seat and disconnecting the two clips, but it's securely attached to the bike when the rear seat is on so stealing it would require cutting straps.  Thus, I can just leave it on the bike, and use a small luggage padlock through the zippers.  

Same bag I have and it's fantastic, holds more than one would think and very high build quality.

I have the Nelson Rigg commuter sport and love it! Started out using it on the rear seat but since added a SW Motech tail rack which it fits perfect on. I use a Givi Tank loc tankbag (smallest one they make) as well. No magnets and nothing touches the tank.

Edited by roy826

I use the smallest expandable bag RKA has. The nice thing about it is how it mounts. There is a pad that straps to the seat and the bag then attaches to the pad. No need to remove the seat to take the bag off.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Another +1 for Nelson Rigg. Finally wore out some 15+ year old soft luggage and still use a little 10+ year old tank bag although it's on its last legs. My only complaints with NR is that their waterproof covers take up a lot of space when not in use and, if you're out all day, water can find a way into the bag after hours of riding. 

Pic below shows the old tank bag and a roll top dry bag and cargo net. Not super convenient but definitely a low cost alternative. Cargo net is $9 or Rok straps $15-$25. Cheap dry bag is $7-$10. Nothing beats the good stuff for trips, but little bits of extra camping gear can go a long way. 

0411211144~3.jpg