What boots do you ride in?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
These...

TransOpen-gtx.jpg

Daytona Trans Open GTX. Superbly comfortable for all day riding, completely waterproof, protection in all the right places and pretty good for walking around when off the bike.  I have removed the "bling" metal plates on the front as I found them slippery under foot and also liable to cause scratches on engine casings when getting on and off the bike.  As Wessie mentioned earlier, Daytona boots seem to cost silly money anywhere outside Germany so best to order from there.  Last for ages and can be refurbished if needed.  I recommend them.

CS

Danner mid hiking boots.
Tuck in the laces or double tie them till there is no loop that can catch on anything.

Wear them every day, for the past 6 pairs of boots, about 10 years now. (Same model, color etc.)

I have a brand new pair in a box, waiting for me to need them, bought 5 pairs back when the model changed, and they no longer offered the color and style I wanted, so I bought all I could find, from multiple locations while traveling over 14 states for work. ;)

Great boots, Gore Tex, Full leather uppers, and they are tennis shoe comfortable, business casual under slacks/khaki pants, handle snow, rain and mud as well as look nice presenting power point's to guys in penny loafers who don't notice you are wearing nice sturdy boots.

The only complaint I have is the soles wear out, and can't be replaced like a true welt boot, but 5 pairs in 10 years is not bad, and I have that brand new pair just waiting for this pair to finally bite the dust.
Well, holy smokes, it appears Danner still makes my boots. :)Good to know, when in a few years, the pair exactly like this is finally worn out. http://www.danner.com/catalog/product/view/id/326/s/453-5-5-brown/category/3/

I wore Rocky boots during my 25 years as a cop and found them to be one of the most comfortable boots for riding as well. I went to a few rummage sales with my wife a few months back and wow did I score. I found two pair of Rocky's still in the box......$5.00 bucks each, yup $10 total. I couldn't believe they were my size. They are perfect for the new 2015 red FJ-09 that I just bought Friday!

• Premium Member
I wore Rocky boots during my 25 years as a cop and found them to be one of the most comfortable boots for riding as well. I went to a few rummage sales with my wife a few months back and wow did I score. I found two pair of Rocky's still in the box......$5.00 bucks each, yup $10 total. I couldn't believe they were my size. They are perfect for the new 2015 red FJ-09 that I just bought Friday!
What style-part number? 

What style-part number?
Model #2066 is the high ankle boot & 2067 is mid-ankle. I got one of each at the garage sale. I prefer the high ankle boot for the stability due to shattering my left ankle/leg in an accident about 15 years ago.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm going to give the Dianese TRQ-Tour Gore-Tex boots a try. Looks like they will offer more protection than my just barely over the ankle aging Sidis.

Hard to picture just how big the A* Toucan was until I had them on my feet. Even with a shifter adjustment I didn't think I would ever be able to develop any feel for the shifter or brake.

Hopefully the Dianese boots work out better for me.

Dianese TRQ Gore Tex Tour

Rode 90 miles (took about 2 hours)
through fairly steady rain today and thought these boots were worth a review.

Pardon the pun, but I am head over heels!

I was looking for a boot that was a bit more protective with ankle protection and a shin guard. I also wanted something completely waterproof with a toe box that wasn't too bulky. These boots definitely fit the bill! I tried a pair of Alpinestars Toucans. While those were even more protective, I couldn't get over the loss of sensation over the bike controls.

Fit
I have quite narrow feet and felt these fit true to size. Usually wear a 10.5 or more frequently an 11, the 44 fit perfectly.

Comfort on bike
5/5. My feet stayed bone dry despite two hours of steady rain. Reasonably warm in 55 degree weather with full length motorcycle socks. Might look for socks that are just a bit thicker for colder weather. I have not had a chance to try out these boots in warmer weather yet, but they didn't feel too hot walking about my house. No difficulty with feeling the rear brake or with upshifting. Fits under the FJ 09 shifter without any adjustment.

Comfort off bike
4/5. Minimal heel slip, no significant squeeking. I do hear a bit of a jingle as the zipper pull strikes the zipper, makes me feel like I am walking with spurs. No pain or areas that rub.

Fit and Finish
5/5. High quality construction. Nifty built in reflectors on the sides. No sure how noticeable they are, but they do look cool.

If you are looking for water proof touring boots that are comfortable and have solid ankle protection, you should give these serious consideration.

• Thanks 1

Alpinestars S-MX 5. Have had them for over 4 years now. Dont have anything to compare them with, but for me they feel great. Look kinda weathered now, but I've ridden them in all circumstances, which include a storm with the road turning into a river (about 1 1/2 feet deep).

Pros:
- Light
- great shifting feel
- plenty ventilation
- disposable toe sliders

Cons:
- Water protection (I dont care yet lol)
[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]

• 3 weeks later...
After putting more miles on the Dainese TRQ Tour Gore Tex boots my review above stands. I have ridden in conditions ranging from low 50s pouring rain to the upper 80s (only 60% humidity though) and have been comfortable and dry. The boots have softened up nicely. The zipper always stays up. My only niggling complaint is the jingling zipper when walking off the bike. The airflow is obviously not what you would get with a perforated non-GoreTex boot but they have not been too hot (yet). We'll see how I feel later this summer when we hit the 90s with higher humidity.

So far couldn't be happier.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I don't like many motorcycle boots. Those I've tried are stiff and uncomfortable, especially the full height models. I've been using hiking boots for riding. I almost bought a good work or duty boot for riding, like a Danner or Bates, in order to get more foot protection while still enjoying some comfort when off the bike.

I was finally convinced to get a dedicated riding boot when I found the A-stars Multiair XCR GTX. I like that I can wear them to work without looking like a Power Ranger. Most people probably won't notice that I am wearing a motorcycle boot. These are not full-height but I don't need full-height boots because my Motoport Kevlar pants contain shin armor.

I like that they are quickly fastened by a ratcheting buckle, and that the use of velcro is minimal. Many zippered boots have a large velcro strip that is a hassle to deal with on a daily basis. I like the buckle a lot better. I also like that there is only one buckle because I plan to use these every day and I want to get them on and off quickly.

They are waterproof and breathable with Goretex to keep your feet dry.
multiair_boots_1.jpg
I normally wear a size 9.5 (EU44) and I found these to be a little loose. I almost fit into the 9 (EU43), but I chose the larger size so that I could add a comfortable insole.

I didn't find them to be as comfortable as my hiking boots, which is why I haven't had motorcycle boots before now. The insole that Alpinestars provides with the boots is very thin and not so comfy on its own. So I went back to the Danner store and bought the DXT Comfort footbed in size 10, shown below. It is designed to fit into all Danner boots, and fortunately it also fits perfectly into the Alpinestar boot without any trimming. I added the Danner insole to the Alpinestar insole so that the two insoles now fill up the loose space and I ended up with a snug fit, which is perfect. I am happy to report that this insole makes a major improvement in the comfort of the Multiair XCR GTX.
95914?$09_directory_2x$

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch