My Saturday sucked... I got hit by a car

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Really sorry to hear this and hope your back and knee heal well.  Let the weight of the damage issues with the bike rise off of you BECAUSE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY OKAY!!!

The minor injuries are already feeling much better, what hurt was having a day off from work with sunny weather (albeit cold) and walking out to an empty garage... 😪

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 1/17/2022 at 9:24 AM, knyte said:

If it were to be written off, would you entertain the idea of buying it back anyway, and transferring some of your mods to the new bike?

I did something like this with a Toyota in the 90's.  Got a cheque from the insurance company, got to keep the car & all the accessories I'd added, did all the bodywork myself & fixed it up, and drove it for several more years.

It was more than the insurance co. was willing to spend, but a fairly easy DIY repair.

I tried getting my bike bike after my accident, but the insurance wouldn't let me have it. I never got a good answer, but they cited liability and a bunch of legalese. They did let me have access to the bike to retrieve personal items in my cases, and that gave me a chance to get some of my aftermarket sparkles that I added over the years. Many of those items are now on my new Tracer 900.  (Denali sound bomb horn, radiator grill, fuze box, and all kinds of other things.) 

Interestingly enough, a few months after I had the accident, I got a message on this board from a young lady in Belarus Poland who swore that she had my old Bike. I actually did some work when I was at Expedia in Belarus, but I never responded, as the chance that this was a scam was too high for me to even engage.

Hope you heal well, and get back on another bike soon.

David

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

So glad to hear you walked away from it.  As everyone else has said, any accident you walk away from is a good one.    

On 1/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, betoney said:

I do realize that the bike could possibly be written off and have been contemplating my next bike. 

I absolutely LOVE the CP3 motor but if I decide to get another Tracer it would be the '19-'20 Tracer 900, the new Tracer 9 doesn't call to me in any way. 

I do hope the insurance claim process goes quickly, I already have my vacation days and road trips set for the year, starting in April.

I do love my 2019.  It'd be even better if you can get a decent payout while keeping the bike, as yeah - going to a 2019/2020 model you'd basically have a full parts bike.  So much is directly transferable.  Also, with the Tracer 9's out, the GT's can be had at really reasonable prices in dealerships all over the place.  You'd also save a ton being able to transfer suspension upgrades in particular over.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I do love my 2019.  It'd be even better if you can get a decent payout while keeping the bike, as yeah - going to a 2019/2020 model you'd basically have a full parts bike.  So much is directly transferable.  Also, with the Tracer 9's out, the GT's can be had at really reasonable prices in dealerships all over the place.  You'd also save a ton being able to transfer suspension upgrades in particular over.

It will be nice if everything works out that smoothly.  👍🏻

• Thumbsup 1

Glad you ok. The amount of accidents have been increasing in the USA. I was the only surviving person in the state of indiana the week of my accident there were little over 1 a day.

Insurance is paying well for motorcycles right now. But fixing rates are high. The price they shot back to keep my bike after my accident was silly. More than my full size v8 truck when i got hit and it was totaled. Lol. 

Glad you got the bike home and not towed away too. In any accident always take the vechile back to your residence if you have the space. Works out monetarily for you always. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 1/18/2022 at 10:33 PM, limpy88 said:

Insurance is paying well for motorcycles right now. But fixing rates are high. The price they shot back to keep my bike after my accident was silly. More than my full size v8 truck when i got hit and it was totaled. Lol.

I'm finding the same applies to new and used bike prices, I was looking on cycletrader.com for '19-'20 Tracer GT's and some USED ones are listed at or above what MSRP was 2 years ago with a few listed as high as $14k.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm finding the same applies to new and used bike prices, I was looking on cycletrader.com for '19-'20 Tracer GT's and some USED ones are listed at or above what MSRP was 2 years ago with a few listed as high as $14k.

Damn. The vechile market is silly

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, limpy88 said:

Damn. The vechile market is silly

It really is.

I found a '15 exactly like mine for sale with nearly 3x the km's when I bought mine - listed for $2k more than what I paid a little over 3 years ago...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

Glad you're ok Betoney, that's what's important.

The asking prices of the of the "new old stock" units of '19-'20 were crazy when I was shopping after I totalled my '15. This was in large why I got the 21 T9GT; that and not many parts from my '15 fit on the '19-'20 models. I drove roughly 4-hours each way to get my T9GT for $1,000 off MSRP.

On the plus side the insurance payout should be high due to used vehicle prices inflating the market value, take it and shop around 🤑

Cheers,

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Bummer, sorry to hear. Lucky as hell though, if the cager had hit your leg the story would be a lot worse..Sounds like a new bike is in the cards,eh. I believe everything happens for a reason; although as mere mortals, it can be tough to ken the reason. Look at it as an adventure, a new bike... new mods ( I think you'd be happy modding a GT)

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, Larz said:

Look at it as an adventure, a new bike... new mods ( I think you'd be happy modding a GT)

Funny you mention that, since I have had my bike for several years, there's nothing more I want/ need to change or modify.  I've always enjoyed modifying my bikes and have kind of had that itch lately... 😎

• Like 2