CLUTCH CABLE

• Premium Member
The photos were taken before I had adjusted the cable. Bottom adjustment was set near full tight (as far up as possible), and the upper adjustment at the hand lever more than half way tight with about 7 mm lever play but set so there is just a bit of cable slack at the bottom at full lock each way (I believe full lock right is tighter). Lever reach works well at 4 of 6; again as you sated this is lever dependent. My levers are obviously quick reach adjustable and pivot up in case of a tip-over, and are also length adjustable which hidden by the ProGrip lever skins.

I have not however tested the clutch cable mods with the engine running yet.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

...is that your DNA all over the push lever?... Jesus clip done that to you? Noticed that you've got the crimp ring on the cable sheath on the south end of the cable guide (on the LH rad mount). I found the cable a bit more relaxed along the sweep to the lever with the crimp ring above the mount... or is that the old cable in the photo?

FYI, I checked and the Motion Pro clutch cable I installed (PN 05-0359 for a 2004~2008 R1 and made in China but otherwise it appears to be near OEM quality and the sheath is nylon lined) does not have a "crimp ring" and is pulled as far north as it can go. 
Also, the sheath including upper cap and bottom adjuster fitting MP cable is supposed to be 47.71" long; I measured the FJ-09 OEM clutch cable to be 45.75" long, or 1.96" shorter than the R1 cable.

so the R1 cable is 1" longer? I had custom cables made at 2" longer and I'm wondering if the R1 variation would have been enough. Do you have a noticeable amount left over? I extended all the cables and brake lines up front and just got the cable mount thingie (yet to install). Basically wondering if it's a cheaper fix than a custom cable (about $115 if I remember correctly).
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
so the R1 cable is 1" longer? I had custom cables made at 2" longer and I'm wondering if the R1 variation would have been enough. Do you have a noticeable amount left over? I extended all the cables and brake lines up front and just got the cable mount thingie (yet to install). Basically wondering if it's a cheaper fix than a custom cable (about $115 if I remember correctly).
1 1/2 " longer from Motion Pro for $45. Plug n' Play. 

@piotrek... nice reference pictures, and glad you are happy with the results.. doesn't leave much room for adjustment if that cable stretches, though.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

is an oem R1 clutch cable a straight swap.....
It's about 1 inch longer, hence needing to rotate the push arm outward (CCW) even with the 5 mm longer Bolt push arm. I also bent the clutch cable holder to meet the geometry of the push arm. See above.
sorry do you mean the inner is 1 ins longer, but the outer is same as oem, or is the whole cable longer, with 1 inch longer  inner than oem........

@piotrek ... nice reference pictures, and glad you are happy with the results.. doesn't leave much room for adjustment if that cable stretches, though.
Adjusting screw is only 3 threads out... another 3 threads it will be at half way (it is 12 long). If the slop becomes long enough, I will move the push lever one spline tooth CW... and that wll take up ~4-5mm. We'll see how things go.
I was thinking about it backwards... should be plenty of adjustment

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Piotrek,

Did you see how I bent the lower flange of the clutch cable holder and shimmed it up with 2 washers to align the 1.96" longer MP R1 cable better with the angle of the dangle of the push arm rotated 3 spline CW? You did not and your alignment looks acceptable. How many splines did you rotate CW?? Inquiring minds need to know. I will compare my clutch cable distance between the cable holder to the push arm (you are at 96 mm +/-) but our relative lower cable adjustment position will effect the comparison. My clutch (and brake) levers are also different but can be adjusted into shortys too but have them at full length (no need IMO as I have size 11+ hands and use just my index and middle fingers to pull both the clutch and brake levers, and my hands are 5/8" more outboard on the OEM heated grips due to using the Universal Vista Cruise throttle lock and a foam doughnut on the inboard end of the left grip to serve as a spacer so my shoulder spacing is equalized) because my fingers are at the outboard end of the levers for maximum leverage anyway (again, with the levers at full length).

I have found with the engine off clutch lever pull seems greater and not particularly smooth but it may be different with the engine running. However, I have not bothered to back the bike out of my 22 foot long but only 10 foot wide cozy, heated, air conditioned, carpeted shop because I keep the big snow thrower behind the FJ-09, which is behind the VTR on the Handy Lift, as it is bad luck to take out a snow thrower unless you need it. Did you or someone else say after this mod the clutch lever felt better with the engine running than when off?

• Premium Member
It's about 1 inch longer, hence needing to rotate the push arm outward (CCW) even with the 5 mm longer Bolt push arm. I also bent the clutch cable holder to meet the geometry of the push arm. See above.
sorry do you mean the inner is 1 ins longer, but the outer is same as oem, or is the whole cable longer, with 1 inch longer  inner than oem........

My MP cable was a bit under 2-inches longer overall cable length; I took photos but I did not measure the housing length difference but based on my recollection of them side by side the MP housing (sheath) is over 1-inch longer than OEM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
NEWS FLASH!!!!!!

Yamaha, in their esteemed wisdom, and without knowledge of their national technical coordinator has changed the 2017 FJ-09 (I did not check the 2017 FZ-09) clutch cable.

Yesterday at the Chicago IMS show I happened to scrutinize a Blue 2017 FJ-09 for apparent changes and discovered the upper metal end of the clutch cable sheath has been significantly lengthened to a full 90 degree sweep! When I spoke to the US tech coordinator who happened to be at the show, he was not aware of the fraying clutch cable issue and of course uninformed of the revised clutch cable.

I will be contacted my Yamaha dealer (Nielsen Enterprises in Lake Villa, IL) tomorrow to inquire regarding the availability of the 2017 clutch cable. I'm not sure of the part number as the 2017 FJ-09 or FZ-09 are not listed yet on PartSharks pats fiche. The original PN was 2PP-26335-01-00 was supplanted by 2PP-26335-02-00 but does anyone know if that is a new part number?

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle_2017/parts

20170211_110045.jpg

• Premium Member
NEWS FLASH!!!!!! 
Yamaha, in their esteemed wisdom, and without knowledge of their national technical coordinator has changed the 2017 FJ-09 (I did not check the 2017 FZ-09) clutch cable.

Yesterday at the Chicago IMS show I happened to scrutinize a Blue 2017 FJ-09 for apparent changes and discovered the upper metal end of the clutch cable sheath has been significantly lengthened to a full 90 degree sweep! When I spoke to the US tech coordinator who happened to be at the show, he was not aware of the fraying clutch cable issue and of course uninformed of the revised clutch cable.

I will be contacted my Yamaha dealer (Nielsen Enterprises in Lake Villa, IL) tomorrow to inquire regarding the availability of the 2017 clutch cable. I'm not sure of the part number as the 2017 FJ-09 or FZ-09 are not listed yet on PartSharks pats fiche. The original PN was 2PP-26335-01-00 was supplanted by 2PP-26335-02-00 but does anyone know if that is a new part number?

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle_2017/parts

20170211_110045.jpg

Ok, somebody order the 2PP-26335-02-00 and let us know. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

That's a still a hell of a bend!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived