CLUTCH CABLE

I Love My ( 9 ) But One thing the clutch where it engages is not right Ive tried from both ends and cant find my sweet spot .At that lever on top of the casing it has play in it anyone else have this annoying problem or a solution 
Sounds to me like it might be getting ready to let go. I ordered a replacement from Motion Pro, the custom cable shop since they don't currently have a stock  replacement. They are working on that though. Costs in the neighborhood of $50 and should last a lot longer than the stocker.
Peporter, how is the MotionPro clutch cable working for you? Curious if anyone with the revised oem Yamaha cable has had a failure yet.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Sounds to me like it might be getting ready to let go. I ordered a replacement from Motion Pro, the custom cable shop since they don't currently have a stock  replacement. They are working on that though. Costs in the neighborhood of $50 and should last a lot longer than the stocker.
Peporter, how is the MotionPro clutch cable working for you? Curious if anyone with the revised oem Yamaha cable has had a failure yet.

Thousands of miles later, and it is smooth as silk.  

I'm at over 23k miles and still on my first cable. Now that I have posted this, it will break on my way home from work. FYI, I mounted up a spare clutch cable in tandem with the current cable...wrapped both ends to prevent water from getting in, but the cable housing actually melted near the radiator. My stock cable, which is there from the day I bought the bike, also shows a some signs of heat exposure. 

I can post a picture later on...it didn't look too good . I think I may preventatively install a new cable when I adjust my valves, for my cross country ride in July

• Premium Member
I'm at over 23k miles and still on my first cable. Now that I have posted this, it will break on my way home from work. FYI, I mounted up a spare clutch cable in tandem with the current cable...wrapped both ends to prevent water from getting in, but the cable housing actually melted near the radiator. My stock cable, which is there from the day I bought the bike, also shows a some signs of heat exposure.  
I can post a picture later on...it didn't look too good . I think I may preventatively install a new cable when I adjust my valves, for my cross country ride in July
I bought a spare and tucked it under the seat. It was a bit of a pain to get the cable to stay in place, but now if I have a problem, I can just swap the cable out on the road. 

• Premium Member
This could be the burning plastic smell some people have been getting, I just noticed it myself after chasing a fast kid in a mustang through the mountains yesterday.
BLB

This could be the burning plastic smell some people have been getting, I just noticed it myself after chasing a fast kid in a mustang through the mountains yesterday.
Good point...I DID smell some funky things that smelled like something burning, but couldn't determine what it was. That was a few thousand miles ago.

• Premium Member
Just changed my clutch cable at @24.5k miles using the updated Yamaha "2PP-26335-02" cable. The original cable was still working fine but I have a 5k trip coming up and figured it was time. I like the new design in the bend near the clutch lever but don't notice a huge difference in feel. Maybe a little smoother. I looked the old cable over and it still looks good. No frayed or visibly worn spots, and still has smooth action. I had lubricated the cable at about 10k miles with Dri-Slide so maybe that helped. I lubricated the new cable before installation so, hopefully, all will be well for at least another 25k miles.

Installation was easy. I did what many have done and pulled the new cable thru after using duct tape to attach it to the old cable end. Pulled it from the handlebar side down and out thru the bottom. Slid thru pretty well with only a minor hang up near the middle.

Bought the R&G rear fender and will be installing it today, then it will be time for a test ride. :^)

• Premium Member
I have run the new style clutch cable with the slightly longer Bolt clutch push arm for over 2,600 miles and am relatively happy with the reduced pull and engagement feel of the new parts.  The clutch cable seems to be setting-in almost like it is stretching incrementally each ride such that I've tightened up the cable free play maybe a third of the upper adjuster wheel rotation.

Strange. 

20170306_222714.jpg20170306_222719.jpg20170306_222744.jpg20170306_222841.jpg20170122_190158.jpg20170122_190224.jpg20170125_205233.jpg

Cranky, did you notice the clutch feeling stiff or notch'y before it broke, looks like it broke in the bend of the cable sleeve, which obviously you couldn't see on inspecting the cable in the usual places a cable breaks.

Cranky, did you notice the clutch feeling stiff or notch'y before it broke, looks like it broke in the bend of the cable sleeve, which obviously you couldn't see on inspecting the cable in the usual places a cable breaks.

Nothing abnormal until I pulled in the last time.

Archived