CLUTCH CABLE

• Premium Member
Long time listener, first time caller. 
I recently replaced my clutch cable with the R1, my bars with the Renthal Street Naked (which are fantastic, btw), and installed the Bolt clutch arm.  I tried routing the cable through the center of the tree alongside the throttle cables, but it gets waaay too tight when I turn the bars to the right.  Tight as in, I can't turn anywhere close to full right.  I've moved the cable back over to the left (closer to the original cable position) and it gives me the slack I need, but it creates more of a bend than I'd like where it enters the clutch lever.
I've been over every post and picture in this discussion at least a dozen times and I can't figure out what I'm missing.
- New cable taped to old and pulled through, check.
- Cable adjusted full out (to end of threads) at clutch, check.
- Cable adjusted to appropriate play at lever, check.
- Bolt arm moved clockwise two splines to take out slack, check.
- Crimp in cable about an inch above radiator mount, check.

Is the increased sweep of my Street Naked bars really taking up that much of the R1 cable?  Has anyone else with the Renthals encountered this?
Would I be better off with the Motion Pro +1.5"?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I have the Street Naked bars and the Motion Pro +1.5" combo, and no problems. The Bolt arm is my next move just to give me more adjustability at the lever. The lighter pull will be a + also, but stock pull doesn't bother me now. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've moved the cable back over to the left (closer to the original cable position) and it gives me the slack I need, but it creates more of a bend than I'd like where it enters the clutch lever.
I am trying to picture what you are saying...  there shouldn't be any bend in the cable except the natural curve of the metal portion on the lever end.  Can you post a picture of the excessive bend?I just changed mine last weekend at 15k miles, I thoroughly inspected the old cable and couldn't even detect any wear marks.  Aside from the outer vinyl being dirty, everything appeared to be in perfect condition.

As requested, here's a pic of the bend in my cable with the current routing (close to OE routing, next to ignition switch).  You can see how being routed downward so close to the lever is causing a sharp angle where the vinyl enters the end cap.  It's not ideal but it gives me the slack to go full lock right and left. 
Clutch_cable_bend.jpg

• Supporting Member
That looks like it is installed backward. Looking at my bike, that crimped end is on the lower end. My cable has the metal curve on the lever end.

Clutch_Cable.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Ahhh, R1 cable, I guess I need to read better. Yes, I have the revised FJ cable. @piotrek, does his cable look correct to you? I would think it shouldnt sag so much coming out of the adjuster.

That looks like it is installed backward. Looking at my bike, that crimped end is on the lower end. My cable has the metal curve on the lever end.
The R1 cable does not have the steel leader tube. Yours looks like the revised 2017 FJ cable, yes?
piotrek is correct. There's no metal tube on the R1 cable.

In case anyone in this massive thread has not seen the DIY video for replacing the clutch cable with the updated part number, it is here: 

Thanks nsmiller, I found that same video earlier today.  His tank-off camera work confirmed my routing is correct.

• Supporting Member
Ahhh, R1 cable, I guess I need to read better. Yes, I have the revised FJ cable. @piotrek , does his cable look correct to you? I would think it shouldnt sag so much coming out of the adjuster.
I noticed that you have risers... comfortable with the cable?
They are the Heli-Bars riser, 1" up and 1" back.  No issues at all with the cables and the riding position is vastly improved. 

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, its been a while - I've been in Poland and not had access to my personal laptop. So this the routing of my Clutch cable:

IMG_1543.jpg

the cable goes in the cradle with the other cables (with no tight turns)

You will see the crimp sits just by the radiator clamp, and this gives enough slack for turn to turn

IMG_1547.jpg
l
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• 3 weeks later...
Went back to OE cable, rev.2 (2017). The leader crimp collar on the R1 cable separated from the sheath right at the lever (bend was just too aggressive). 

I also went back to the OE, rev. 2 cable and I really like it.  Stays in place, no binding, no aggressive bend where it enters the lever, and it doesn't get in the way of putting my key in.

• 2 weeks later...
my cable just went at 9 months and 10,260 miles. 

filing a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in hopes that yamaha might actually recall this before someone gets hurt. i advise anyone and everyone in the US to file a claim and submit pictures. the nice lady at yamaha customer service did not share my concerns for rider safety. 

my cable just went at 9 months and 10,260 miles.  
filing a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in hopes that yamaha might actually recall this before someone gets hurt. i advise anyone and everyone in the US to file a claim and submit pictures. the nice lady at yamaha customer service did not share my concerns for rider safety. 
Whether she did or not there is no way she could concede anything of the sort. That would give lawyer's serious ammunition. Sharing your concerns, which on a personal level she probably does, vocally would likely get her fired. 

'15 FJ09

Archived